Installing the Car Seat

MrsG

Reaction score
Hi all

Im hoping you can help me. I have been bought a Graco travel system for our baby. I have also got the Graco base seat for the car seat as I thought this would be much easier than having to faff around with a seat belt each time we take the baby anywhere. I have had a look at how to fix this in the car and it is rear facing.

what I would like to know is, is there any law against fitting this in the front passenger seat? because if I am in the car alone with the baby and he/she is strapped in the back facing the rear im not going to be able to see them at all. How and where have you fitted your seats? and what have you found best?

The only thing that I know about is that they shouldn't be installed in the front passenger seat if there is an air bag fitted there as well as the drivers side.

Apart from that, I think it's okay. No law as far as I know.
??!

You can buy a mirror so you can see how baby is in the back.

From personal preference i wouldn't put baby on the front seat. and was advised by a fire officer that baby should be kept in the back ideally in the middle on the back seat, as then the baby is away from all collision points, providing is is installed properly with a 3 point harness.
As the officer said - most accidents are head on.

Also DO NOT PUT A CAR SEAT ON A SEAT WITH AN AIR BAG, YOU COULD KILL OR SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR BABY.
Having been in a car accident recently where the air bags have gone off i can see why.

Thanks for your reples. I have a 1998 Micra so its not posh or new enough to have airbags so thats not a worry. I never thought of a mirror good idea!

Think I will have a go or get DH to fit it in the middle of the back seat then.

i was told that if the front passenger seat moved forward ie to let ppl in back of car then it was a no no also :?

i know that they cant if there is an air bag and i am 99% sure that they are advised to go bck middle f possible go to mothercare and pretend ur uying one and get them to see if its ok in the middle :wink: i know mine couldnt go in my dads middle seat

The other point with having them in the front is they can really distract you while you are driving. Even if they are quiet you can't help but keep glancing at them.

Brody is in the back of my car.

Also... if anyone here does have them in the front with the airbag switched off, don't rely on the OFF button for the airbag, instead take the fuse out of the fuseboard because they have been known to malfunction.

You shouldn't put a base bracket in the front passenger seat if the seats move forward (2 door car). If babe is in the front you must use the car seat on its own.

Damien is in the back of my car for that reason, behind the front passengers chair. It is the safest seat to be in if you crash (apparently - but only if there isn't a 3point seat belt in the middle).

When Damien has been in the front I do find him distracting. They don't really need watching over I don't think, unless you're doing a long journey. The only exception I make is if Damien is having a bad reflux spell or recently had an apnoea and I have to check he is still breathing.

Have you had the car seat fitted to your car? Not all car seats fit all cars, especially the brackets. We took ours to a driving safety centre to be checked and luckily is fine. Having it badly fitted can increase the risk of injury to the baby in a crash.

see not being a mum yet I had no idea that they are distracting if in the front! Im beginning to think the permanent car base is more of a pain than a god send.

I havent had it fitted yet, thought it would be simple. I am very glad I posted my question now.

hmmmm maybe DH will buy me a new car when I explain about two doors and airbags etc etc! ( I can dream)

the bases are really good i have one for B if u have to go out asap then all u hae to do is put bubs into car seat then put the seat on to the base but now i am looking into getting B a big car seat as my mums car is a KA and the car seat goes in the back and it aint half a back killer lol getting him in

MrsG said:
see not being a mum yet I had no idea that they are distracting if in the front! Im beginning to think the permanent car base is more of a pain than a god send.

I havent had it fitted yet, thought it would be simple. I am very glad I posted my question now.

hmmmm maybe DH will buy me a new car when I explain about two doors and airbags etc etc! ( I can dream)

My friends had a toyota Yaris and went to loads of places for help fitting their base car seat. In the end they ended up exchanging the car for a Corolla as it was such a pain getting the seat in!

oooh - thanks for the info - have got the car seat - it was included with the pram we bought as a travel system - but we're just gona use it for the car seat for now

was wondering where to put it - boyf cleaned the car out yesterday and i noticed that my front passenger seat does have an air bag ( wha?? - me car is about a hundred years old!!!! - well, its an N reg - though air bags were newer than that!!) so - thats out cos there no off switch

so, it will have to go in the back seat - which is fine - but is it better for the seat to go in the middle or one of the sides? ( my car also has 3 cross over seat belts in the back, not a lap strap in the middle - its a very weird car!!) - would it be safer in the middle??

help!!

if u can get it to go in the middle with out rocking then yes it would be safer in the middle

cheers sarah! - will let boyf know - he's in charge of fitting it!

think its a good idea to fit it before the baby is born? - just as a practise? - knowing boyf, will be sat waiting for him to come and pick me and baby up from hospital for an extra 3 days while he's faffing about in the back of the car with the base, the seat and the straps!! :lol:

lol!!!! my dad had mother care do ours beofre i Had B and i still forgot how to do it wen i was in hospital and the MW nearly made me stay another nite as we didnt know how to do the seat so make sure u do it a couple of times before hand

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back