Second stage car seats

Rayoflight

Reaction score
Hi girls any recommendations for second stage car seats?

We have the maxi cosi family fix base but apparently I heard you don't need this any more?

Anyone have a rear facing one or one that swivels?

We're prepared to pay top whack for one, OH insists it's got to be the safest one possible but I'm looking at practical, ability to wash cover (if even possible?) and comfort for baby.

Also how old was your LO when you swapped? Mine is 7 months and really outgrowing his car seat now.

Any advice would be very grateful for. Thanks.

So jealous! Isla is still so tiny and its causing me so much pain clambering around my three door beetle :(

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/types/index.htm is a good site and has great information.

Mothercare let you try the seat in the car before you buy, as do mamas and papas. I have a brittax king plus for Isla when she puts on some weight lol

ooohh, I was just about to post a thread on this! No need now. Obviously I have no clue either lol so would be good to see what others say! :) xx

We got recommended the maxi cosi tobi car seat!!!! Xx

Tegans still far to tiny at 8 months so can't really help you Im afraid Hun xx

We got the maxi cosi xp when Ella was 7 months- she is very dainty but v long. It's a great car seat and comes highly recommended.

Charley's just gone into his stage 2 seat, he was too heavy for his old one. We've got the mama's and papa's moto car seat. It's £59.99 ATM in Argos but lasts until their 11!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309354092.841598.jpg

look how cute charley is in his carseat!!! i cant comment as we dont have a car here! london tube and bus all the way! =( lol.

He's loves it!! He giggled the whole time we were driving a 20 min journey!!

to be honest there are such strict standards I think even the cheapest of the cheap are really really safe. You pay more for more comfy/stylish ones or like you say, the practical features.

LO loves being in a forward facing seat, I think he knows hes a 'big boy'

I got the maxi cosi tobi, the woman in mothercare said it's one of the safest ones that is not isofix. Zac still isn't in it yet, I'm going to put him in it when he turns 1 (can't actually believe how close this is!) x

my oh is a bit car obsessed so is trying to 'convince' me to get a recaro one (our first car seat is one!!) h still has about 6 inches till the top of his car seat at the mo and he's nearly 9 months old!!!

We've got the britax first class. I agree with tiny though, you don't need to pay loads for safety. X

Just bought a second stage maxicosy one from mothercare today goes up to 4 years! It reclines and was easy to put in car and looks really sturdy stays in place and Aiden just loves facing fed! So he is 7 months! Felt a bit sad packing away his first seat!! :-( but so much better for him and my bloody back x

Im going to be getting the maxi cosi opal. Its a bit expensive, but looks great and stays rear facing for quite a while. Ive been quite impressed with maxi cosi so Im going to stick with them. I think its called maxi cosi axis, but thats the one that swivels round so its easier to put them in but it doesnt do rear facing.

I'll look into those suggestions, thanks girls.

Went to halfords and mothercare yesterday. Halfords had no clue and wouldve sold me anything. Mothercare was great. The lady told me the maxi cosi first stage seats actually go up to 29lb, not 20lb and he's got loads of room in it yet. Says they can stay in them until 12-15 months no probs and is better for him being rear facing for as long as possible.

I have the family fix base and the only seat that fits it is the Maxi Cosi pearl so will look at that but can always keep the base and current seat for if and when we have baby number 2.

Saves us a bit of money these next few months until I go back at least!

Quick question. Does LO have to be a certain age AND weight for fwd facing or jus over a certain weight?

My mum has bought a fwd facing and had it fitted by Halfords and they told her that as he is 6 months and over 9kg (she guessed this!!) that he would be fine in it. He hasn't been in it yet, it's for when she looks after him in the next few months. But on the tag it says From 9 months and 9-18kg, I said I think it means he has to be both, but she reckons Halfords know more than me lol :shock:

I really wanna get a fwd facing because he hates facing backwards and I don't blame him really, but I thought he had to be able to sit unaided for 30 mins and be over 9kg?

I'm so confused by it all!!

Thanks in advance xxx

I think 6 months is too early. I can't believe they said 6 months! Your baby needs to have quite strong neck muscles which is why they recommend rearward facing until 4 years ideally or leaving it as long as you can.

They need to be able to sit up unaided on their own completly for long periods of time before they should be forward facing really. Can she not just borrow your infant car seat? As long as his head isnt over the top of it then he'll be fine in it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back