Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

Reaction score
I'd love to hear about any purchases you made that ended up being unnecessary or anything you might have gotten that ended up being so essential! What should definitely be on my list and what should I steer clear of? Any miracle products or absolute let-downs? Items for baby and mum...

Replies greatly appreciated :flower: xo xo R.

Nappy bun was a god send for us with j and will be with the next as were in a 3 story. Bottle warmers and we tried three and each was crap took 15 munutes to warm up and with a crying newborn at 3am. Well prob just use eoom remp water or micriwave thoroughly sgakeb x

changing mat, and a nappy bin were useless for us. never used the changing mat as changed him on my Lap and novelty wore off bin after 1st month. just put them straight into the bin now.

essential was muslins, cold water steriliser and ear thermometer Xx

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

I Bf so i have loads of bottles and a sterelizer that is still in the box!

lol i googled nappy bun and it came up with like a nappy cover like a pair or knickers. wasnt sure if thats what u meant tho lol x

I had a steam steriliser but found the cold water and milton so much easier and less faffy, sling I found essential, ny fabric ones were a lot comfier and let me have my hands free on clingy days

For me, the essentials were a sling, a bath support and nipple cream! Absolute wastes of money were nappy bin, bottles and crib

Essential -
baby b giraffe (it's better than Ewan the sheep and the lion heart bear) it stays on for 45 min :)
Stokke pushchair - fantastic piece of kit
Muslins
Loads of blankets
Lamaze toys (from about 3 months)

Waste of money-
Nappy bin
Toys from birth - they really are not interested
Pram suits - nightmare to get a sleeping baby in one and you can't feed in them as the baby gets too hot :-/
Carry cot for stokke pushchair

Mummy to beautiful baby boy Samuel Lee 05.03.12

My best products were the nappy bin (we actually bought a second one so we have one upstairs and one downstairs) playmat with lightshow and a sit me up cosy (padded ring thing) as he slept in the cosy for the first few months downstairs.
My waste of money items were bottle warmer as he has never minded the temp of his milk, a small steralizer as when I switched to bottle feeding I needed a big one to fit all the bottles in. Also for him a bouncy chair was a waste of money as he hated being strapped in but I know they are a fave for most people!!
xxx

****Not needed****

Moses basket - he out grew it really quickly. I wish I got a crib from the start. When he was downstairs he slept flat on chair.

2 top and tail bowls lol. I thought I'd need one for upstairs.

Baby bath - I was given this, but a bath seat in our bath or just holding or laying him flat in it I found perfect.

Bottle warmer - if you FF, just top up an oz of fresh boiled water on top (that's what I do if warm anyway).

Breast pump - spent a small fortune on a medela swing only to have problems BF. I would now leave this and any bottles etc until you know how you're gonna feed. You can buy stuff easily if you don't BF. Maybe just nip cream in advance.

Clothes. I bought too many clothes when all you need at the start are some baby grows IMO.

*****God sends*****

Muslins

I like the bibs that go over the head. Find velcro a bit rough and catches in wash.

Freddie firefly by Lamaze. Once they're a bit older he is a drinking star. Lol.

Summer infant video monitor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Essential -
baby b giraffe (it's better than Ewan the sheep and the lion heart bear) it stays on for 45 min :)
Stokke pushchair - fantastic piece of kit
Muslins
Loads of blankets
Lamaze toys (from about 3 months)

Waste of money-
Nappy bin
Toys from birth - they really are not interested
Pram suits - nightmare to get a sleeping baby in one and you can't feed in them as the baby gets too hot :-/
Carry cot for stokke pushchair

Mummy to beautiful baby boy Samuel Lee 05.03.12

What is baby b giraffe????

Essentials -

Nappy bin still using ours
Medela swing breast bump - fab for expressing
Bath support that is just a piece of towel on a frame - much easier in proper bath than bothering with a baby bath
Sock ons - great for keeping socks on when they are a bit bigger and warring outfits rather than babygros
Over head bibs - agree about velcro catching in wash plus when bigger they pull the Velcro ones off

Waste of money -

Cot top changer as only good for a short while until they start wriggling then just do it on a mat on the floor
Baby bath
Top and tail bowl - only used mine a handful of times

All I can think of for now x

changing unit was used loads here :)

nappy bin was never used xx

Waste
Nappy bin waste of money, wasn't expensive initially but the inserts were expensive, and nappy bags are 150 for 27p so...!!

Baby bath just got in the way, hubby was fine with bathing her in the big bath, or just getting in with her totally!

Top and tail pot, just, pointless!!

Bouncy chair :( So excited about it, but Sophia just didn't take to it. Maybe the next one will...!

Essential
Formula in the cupboard waiting. She had a growth spurt, she was crying, I was empty, needed to give her something. Didn't end my feeding days like I thought it would, but was totally essential!

Humphry: http://www.mothercare.com/Blossom-Farm-Clover-Cow-Sit-Me-Up-Cosy/130438,default,pd.html?cm_sp=ProductFeatures-_-Category%2520landing-_-Blossom%2520Farm%2520Clover%2520Cow%2520Sit%2520Me%2520Up%2520Cosy
(Except ours was a hippo and was cheaper!!) Sophia loved him, spent most of the time we were at home in him, and even a few nights in the cot with him inside!!!

Breastfeeding cover: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-BuBu-Breastfeeding-Cover-Mocha/dp/B006246LE2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ap_2
Best thing ever!

I haven't bought anything yet but I know I am definitely buying a nappy bin because we live in a one bed on the third floor and we don't have much space in our bin so can't go up and down disposing nappies lol hopefully it won't be a waste of money

My essentials

Silver cross pram
Dr brown bottles ( amazing if u Have a colicky baby )
Fisher price play mat
Lamaze toys - Freddie firefly
Pre made milk ( great for when you first get home from hospital and don't have the energy to make bottles )
Sleeping bag

Waste of money

Crib
TT bottles
Mamas and papas tummy time toy
Baby bath

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads