Would I be entitled to these benefits?

TiffanyJaynexo

Reaction score
I'm trying to work out my income and my brain has turned to fudge!
I'm doing a job trial in a solicitors tomorrow and I'm hoping I get the job, but I'm confused about working tax credits and housing benefit so if anyone can help me it'll be much appreciated :)

I just did a calculator online and if I do get this job (40 hours a week on £6.19 an hour) it says I'm entitled to working tax credits? Is that correct? Me and my partner have a joint JSA claim at the moment but if I go back to work we'll just be relying on my wages as he'll be staying at home with my daughter. I thought both parents had to work to be able to get working tax credits?

And about the Housing Benefit, I read that if your rent is below a certain amount you can still be entitled to housing benefit, does anyone know how much your rent has to be? My rent is £65.00 a week.

Thank you!

Yes u will be entitled to child and working tax cresits :) and. Depending on ur income when u have claimed tax credits u may be entitled to some housing benefit! X

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

you'll earn nearly 13k have you used entitledto website? I think you do both have to be working to get working tax credits but you'd still get child tax credits. Youd probably be entitled to housing and council tax benefit but you'd have to apply through the council. entitled to website will show you what you'd get per week of the different benefits you're entitled to.

If you're parents, to claim working tax credits, only one of you needs to be working (at least 30? Hrs a week - not sure). But as you'll be doing 40 hrs this bit of info doesn't matter!

I thought you only got child tax credits if one of you was working?

When Ive done calculations with me and my OH we've never been entitled to working tax credits if one of us is working, it needs to be two.

But you're right in that youll get housing benefit and council and child tax credits. :)

Ah right! So I'll still receive the benefits I get now (child tax, child benefit and housing)? But not JSA obviously :D xxx

When me and FOB were together we got working tax credits and only he worked. Not sure what changes have been made though.

Just got this from tax credits website.

What hours do you need to work?You don't have children
If you're not responsible for children, you need to work the following hours to get Working Tax Credit:
* if you're aged 25 or over, you need to do paid work of at least 30 hours a week
* if you have a disability and are aged 16 or over, you need to do paid work of at least 16 hours a week
* if you're aged 60 or over, you need to do paid work of at least 16 hours a week
How to work out usual working hours for your tax credits claim
You have children
If you're responsible for children you need to be aged at least 16, and work the following hours to get Working Tax Credit:
* if you're single, you need to do paid work of at least 16 hours a week
* if you're in a couple, your joint paid working hours need to be at least 24 a week, with one of you working at least 16 hours a week
So if you're a couple and only one of you is working, that person will need to work at least 24 hours a week.
If your joint working hours are less than 24 a week, you can still get Working Tax Credit if one of the following applies:
* one of you is aged 60 or over and working at least 16 hours a week
* one of you is disabled and working at least 16 hours a week
* one of you works at least 16 hours a week, and the other is entitled to Carer's Allowance - even if they don't get any payments because they receive other benefits instead
* one of you works at least 16 hours a week, and the other is 'incapacitated', an in-patient in hospital, or in prison (serving a custodial sentence, or remanded in custody awaiting trial or sentence)

So did you get that as well as child tax credits zmd?

Ive got to go to the job centre soon and tell them Im starting work and apparently they'll let everyone know my new circumstances which is fab. No ringing tax credits and the council etc as they do it all for me...fab! I have a vague idea of what Ill get but it's so many things from random places Ive got a bit muddled.

This universal credit thing starts being phased in from next year though which should make things so much simpler!

Good luck with finding a job too ZMD and congrats on the job Tiff :)

How strange! Thanks for the info, so I'll get working tax credits then.
I'm sure my advisor will explain all to me anyway :D she's very helpful like that and demands I get a job that'll make me better off.

After doing some very confusing calculating we'll be better off if I get this job :D xxx

Ive got to go to the job centre soon and tell them Im starting work and apparently they'll let everyone know my new circumstances which is fab. No ringing tax credits and the council etc as they do it all for me...fab! I have a vague idea of what Ill get but it's so many things from random places Ive got a bit muddled.

This universal credit thing starts being phased in from next year though which should make things so much simpler!

Yep, they all pass the news on ASAP! :rolleyes: When my Dad lost his disability allowance and my mum her carers, their housing benefit got stopped immediately :( poor folk had to tell their landlord that they couldn't pay her until they got their appeal sorted.

xxx

As long as one of you is working 24 a week or more you can claim tax credits xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back