What would I be entitled to?

Piglet's Mama

Reaction score
I'm due to go back to work on 1 June. I currently work 3-days a week; I don't think my employer would allow me to go back on any less as it's a job share and the other person does the other two days due to child care too. I earn about £900 a month.

Nursery fees come to £840 a month so it's seemingly not even worth going back in the day. If I don't return to work, what would I be entitled to on the one wage we'd have coming in? About £1300 a month.

I currently get my child benefit and some working tax credit. Is it all dependent on my husbands salary too?

Thanks x

I lost my job Very shortly after finding out I was pregnant, and so don't actually have a job to go back to. I plan on looking for work again when Poppy is 1. Luke earns around £1,300 a month take home, and with that as our only income, we receive £65 a week child & working tax credits (roughly that) and around £40 a week housing benefit. I don't feel bad about the fact that, as some people would put it, we're 'scrounging' off the state as both of us have worked up until now (and obviously, Luke still does) and I do plan on going back part-time in around 6 months time. We see it as it's what we've both worked and paid our taxes for!

Last edited:
Oh, they also reduced the amount of council tax we had to pay by quite a bit. x

Is it not worth going back to work for the childcare vouchers, both you and your OH can contribute £179 a month equating to £446/month of nursery vouchers. You'll also get 15hrs 'free' nursery time when your LO is 3 so the shortfall is only short term, you could also look for other work in the interim as it's always easier to get a job if you're in work.

You may be entitled to nursery fees being paid through the tax credits, coz ur OH is on a low wage. Check it out on the hmrc website.

I cant imagine you would be entitled to much benefits wise. They are cutting benefits left right & centre so its best not to rely too much on getting a certain amount.

If it was me personally i'd continue to work & put up with not alot of wages untill LO goes to school or gets a funded place age 3. You might regret it if you give up your job, it is very hard to get back into employment again, and tbh it doesn't really matter to employers that you've taken a few years out to look after a child. They still look at that as unemployed same as someone who just doesn't work (for whatever reason)

The childcare thing is gona come up even when LO goes to school, due to times of school day & also school holls. Might be best to takle it just now.

:)

Thanks all - my Company don't offer child care vouchers and tbh nurserys/nanny's/childminders - not really for me. Couldn't put B in with someone I don't know for 10+ hours a day to get next to no money and zero time with my baby. Would rather be skint and have the time with her.

Cheers again x

Well my oh gets 1200 a month take home, and I opted to not go back, I want to spend the time with Devon and to be there for activities and homework after school and to cook proper meals etc.

I agree at first I felt bad taking working families tax credits, but I worked every other time all through when my other kids were small, and actually I need the time at home, I have a job to get it all done for the kids.

While they offer WFTC, I decided I'm going to take them, it is available for anyone who is a low earner, and with one or more working parent, so everyone can apply, plus I get the child benefit , which helps pay for activities and kids clothes , uniform etc.

It's amazing what you can do without, when you reasses your spending, food budget etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back