Worried that the Dr will be dismissive of CPs

Nivetha28

Reaction score
Hi all

I am a complete newbie here but looking for some advice, reassurance or just others who 'get it'. I am currently experiencing my second consecutive chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage and I have made an appointment to see my GP today. I am aware that chemical pregnancies are common (stupid nature!) but am concerned having had two in a row and given my age, I'm 36, I wanted to make sure that all was OK rather than keep trying and possibly going through the same again. My worry is that the Dr's will think that I am wasting their time and will not consider this to be a problem, as clearly I am able to conceive. Has anyone else approached their GP about anything similar and if so what were your experiences of their response? Are there any particular tests that I could ask for?

Thank you and hugs to everyone who finds themselves on this board xxx

So sorry you're going through this xx

I think gps won't refer you for any kind of testing until you've had 3 mc, not sure on their thoughts of cp's and if they count them but hopefully someone here might know

How long have you been ttc?

My doctor wasn't interested in my concerns as like you said they said it's fine because 'I was able to conceive'

Last edited:
Thank you xMillie. I think deep down I know that they won't do anything at this stage but I guess I just felt like I needed to do something, which is why I made the appointment, trying in vain to take some control back of the situation! I'll update on what they say in case its helpful to others xxx

Sorry to hear this nivetha. I was told they would not investigate until i'd had 3 losses....ive heard from other ladies who had experienced mc's that theyve been told to take low dose asprin. It might be worth asking about it in your appt.....? X

Thanks Melly, unfortunately it was worse than I thought it might be. She told me I basically 'hadn't even really been pregnant' so I was upset and worried over nothing :mad:

Thanks for yours replies though it helped prepare me for the visit xxx

That's really rubbish :(

Maybe try the low dose aspirin?

Thats awful. How insensitive! Sorry to hear that. Low dose asprin might be helpful. Could be worth a shot?

Thanks Melly, unfortunately it was worse than I thought it might be. She told me I basically 'hadn't even really been pregnant' so I was upset and worried over nothing :mad:

Thanks for yours replies though it helped prepare me for the visit xxx

That is disgusting, I’d ask to see a different GP as aside from anything else she is just plain incorrect in saying that.

I actually really hate the term chemical pregnancy as I find it dismissive and like it belittles the experience. It’s a miscarriage as far as I’m concerned, and you have every right to feel whatever feelings you have been.

As the others say they normally won’t investigate until after 3. At least the 2 should now be in your notes. as I say I would ask to see a different GP. Please take care of yourself xx

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your support, honestly it helps so much having other people say 'that sucks' rather than 'why are you even worried' like the Nurse Practitioner that I saw. I really appreciate all of your responses :)

I have written a complaint to the Surgery as at my appointment she said that she wouldn't even record this or my previous experience as losses. Despite me showing her pictures of positive pregnancy tests (yes I am one of those people that takes pictures!) including digital tests that said '1-2 weeks pregnant', she said that I must have read the tests wrong and she didn't think they were positive. She basically told me I wasn't even ever really pregnant and must have been 'confused'. :wall2: If it wasn't for forums like this I would probably think I was going crazy!

Thanks for the info about Baby Aspirin, I'm going to try and get some today, and thanks again for all the support xxx

Good for you! Hopefully your GP will learn a few lessons in empathy as a result! Well done for standing your ground x

Oh Jesus she sounds even worse than I thought - what horrifying mistreatment and misinformation! Don’t worry we all take pics of our tests too :)

Let us know how you get on with complaint and push to get it recorded. They are losses and it doesn’t matter at what stage it happened so don’t let her belittle your awful experience x

What an idiot. How can you read it wrong if it says pregnant 1-2. Perhaps she needs to go back to medical school and learn how these tests work. It's picking up a hormone. Whether she says you were pregnant or not. It's picking something up and as it's later not picking it up anymore they should be investigating what's going on!

So sorry you're going through this. Absolutely awful when people don't support you

Thanks Candymycandy and Pinkz, it helps reassure me that I was right to be upset and not being hormonal and overreacting, like I was made to feel at the appointment. I’m still waiting for a reply to my complaint, and now back into my fertile window so back on the rollercoaster!

Thanks for listening and taking the time to reply xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back