worried about tearing?!?!?!?!

mel0013

Reaction score
does anyone have any tips to help avoid tearing during labour? i have a gel that im applying i just wondered if there was anything else i could do.

would this also help me avoid needing an episiotomy?

being able to push slowly to allow things to gradually stretch goes a long way to help avoid tearing - it's when you have a rushed delivery that it usually occurs! With my son, his heart rate dropped so drastically during pushing that they were telling me to push, push and push without a break, even when I wasn't contracting - as he needed to come out asap - I got a 2nd degree tear due to his rushed arrival! But with my daughter who was a pound and half bigger was born in water and allowed to take her time etc - and I had not even a graze! even the original scar tissue from previous tear was fine!

Have a look at Perineal massage. Also you may want to have a look at some Natal Hypnotherapy techniques?

I had a very long and drawn out labour but the upside was no tears or grazes..

X

I think tearing was my biggest fear about giving birth! However like the others said if you try and take the pushing stage slowly and do as the midwife tells you (little pushes, stop) it does help. I had quite quick labour but took 1hr 20 mins to push Max out so only had a slight graze and that was only because the little monkey turned the wrong way as he came out. My sister in law pushed hard and fast and her daughter was out in 4 pushes and she tore quite bad xxx

Last edited:
I was pushing for almost 2 hours!

It was my fave part, loved it and cannot wait to do it again :roll: :lol:

X

thank u uve been really helpfull :)

im definately going to combine the gel with the massage and im looking into some hypnotherapy cds. the slow pushing sounds good ive actually just had my first home appointment with my midwife (ill be 34 weeks tomorrow) and she has also advised me to make sure i listen to the midwife whilst in labour about when to and when not to push.

Don't stress about it too much - I had a second degree tear and two grazes and whilst being stitched up was unpleasant it was a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. I agree that a quick labour is the biggest culprit; my husband did the perineal massage for me from 34 weeks but the pushing stage was only 25 minutes and my son came out very quickly. However, I'm now 8 weeks post partum and whilst I can feel some stretched tissue it's only when I sit on the toilet!

Whilst you can take steps to reduce the risk it may still happen so my advice is not to worry - 'what will be, will be!' and holding your LO will take away any pain!!

With my first baby I tore really bad due to uncontrolled pushing, the midwife was lazy and horrendous, 2nd baby and it was totally different and it was fully controlled a bigger by 9lb 6 oz and didn't tear at all. Its all about the control, a good midwife will have full control over the birth with you obviously, but as others have said take it slow at the pushing stage and listen to the midwives xx

My son came quick I had 3rd degree tear goodness knows how many stitches,didnt feel anything but all seemed to heal well,

It is just one of those things that can happen. Midwives should help you reduce the risk when babybis crowning. It's really not so bad! Better than a cut and heals quicker. By that time you would do anything to get baby out, so it is a means to an end to some extent. Sitting on a rubber ring for a week is soon forgotten!!

I had an episiotomy as my son kept rocking back in, but I think the doc stitched me up tighter than before so will definitely need another this time. It really wasn't that bad and didn't feel a thing during stitching as I had an epidural.

My friend swears by raspberry leaf tea/capsules, have heard mixed success stories on here but know I'll be trying everything too! x

Just to say I had an episiotomy and a third degree tear, had to be stitched in theatre, but had no pain after and healed really quickly - no sitting on doughnut shaped cushions necessary! Obviously it's better not to tear, but just wanted to say that it's not always painful and doesn't always take a long time to heal.

My little boy did come out quite fast - he ended up in SCBU overnight as he came out so quick there wasn't time for all the fluid to be pushed out of his lungs. I have no idea at all if I was pushing at the right time as I'd had an epidural but it was assumed I'd had a low enough dose that I'd know when to push. I'm not so sure but wasn't able to say anything at the time as a coherent sentence was a bit beyond me at that point!

thank u for all ur posts i am not quite so worried about tearing now especially knowing that they arent always a nightmare to get over and dont leave u a mess!!!

the gel ive got is mothercare its your body perineal gel. has anyone else used it?

Other thing is that there's evidence that women who have water births tend to tear less as the water really softens the area. I gave birth to my boy 3 days ago and despite having quite an ordeal in the pushing stage (I had to push without contractions as wasn't getting them close enough together to get him out) and despite the fact that I'm a horse rider and have a really strong pelvic floor which means I'm tighter and more likely to tear I managed to deliver him with only a couple of minor grazes, no tears whatsoever. I think that was due to the water birth, an utterly amazing midwife and probably some luck as well.

In all honesty though even without tearing by the time your baby arrives and is in you won't care less what's going on down below. I'm very swollen and was pretty uncomfortable for first day but every time in look at him I realise I'd do it all again a million times for him

Other thing is that there's evidence that women who have water births tend to tear less as the water really softens the area. I gave birth to my boy 3 days ago and despite having quite an ordeal in the pushing stage (I had to push without contractions as wasn't getting them close enough together to get him out) and despite the fact that I'm a horse rider and have a really strong pelvic floor which means I'm tighter and more likely to tear I managed to deliver him with only a couple of minor grazes, no tears whatsoever. I think that was due to the water birth, an utterly amazing midwife and probably some luck as well.

In all honesty though even without tearing by the time your baby arrives and is in you won't care less what's going on down below. I'm very swollen and was pretty uncomfortable for first day but every time in look at him I realise I'd do it all again a million times for him

i really wanted a water birth and the nearest facility is in the same town as me which is brilliant but because its in a small community hospital they would have to get me to the main hospital if something went wrong which means a 30-40min trip by ambulance so myself and OH decided that for my first we would both be happier if i was at the hospital with help already there.

I took loads of raspberry leaf capsules but i still tore. I had great midwives who I listened to and pushed slowly aswell. I think it's just one of those things that if it happens it happens. To be honest though, I asked if id tore and was quite shocked when she said yes because I didn't feel a thing! I had no idea. When I was being stitched (I only needed a couple) they let me keep puffing away on the gas & air and the area was numbed. I was terrified about tearing before birth but it's honestly not affected me at all. My stitches healed quickly, and my noony bits are no different! Try not to worry Hun xxx

Raspberry least tea is more to prepare your uterus for labour, as far as I'm aware, will have no bearing on whether you tear Or not. Oil, massage and slow pushing is your best chance to not tear, although talking about raspberry leaf tea, I would definitely recommend it... I swear this is what made my labour so short (4.5hours!) and I'm the only one in our (very large) family who's waters went on their own, all the ladies in our family swear we have water bags like elephant skin cause they have to be broken ha!

rheannymac i love ur name for lady parts - noony bits!!!! thats awesome i cant stop giggling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back