Worried about boxing day

mrs_tommo22

Reaction score
and it concerns my dogs - as you know i have 2 gorgeous greyhound who are very much part of the family and like a good fuss and sniff around the grub like any dogs - but also leave it if i tell them too.

Im worried that the family when they come over will want me to shut them either outside or in the kitchen while were eating - not fooking happening. My dogs are my family and im not shutting them away from everyone just so they can stuff their faces in peace.

I dont want a argument with them but i am not being told what to do with my babies either, they are well trained and will leave people alone.

Im guessing they will ask this because they can be quite boisturous initially when people walk in, ie licking, mia jumps a little bit as shes very excitable.

My greyhound are very vunerable and can get very anxious soi do not want to upset them especially when ive come so far the last week with danny my new dog - whos very anxious, timid, scared of men as he was beaten.

What would you do?

It's your house and your dogs. As long as they're not jumping up all through the meal I don't see how anyone can complain. Hope you have a lovely xmas mrs T :hug: :hug:

stick to your guns!

If you know your dogs are going to be well behaved (as always) then theres no reason for them not to be around!

P.s. I'm so glad to hear you made progress with Danny. :cheer:

xx

muppetmummy said:
It's your house and your dogs. As long as they're not jumping up all through the meal I don't see how anyone can complain. Hope you have a lovely xmas mrs T :hug: :hug:

That's what I was going to say :hug: :hug: :hug:

We have a sofa in our dinning room which Sally will lie on after about 10mins. (No such luck with the jack russel :lol: ) But if you havent how about putting a duvet / cushions on the floor next to the table so they can lounge next to you whilst you eat :)

awwww i would stick to your guns hun it's your house and your dogs :hug: :hug:
bit ot but i just looked at your tickker your due to test on xmas day i hope you get a extra special xmas suprise :hug: :pray: :pray:

Our two are the same (and one of ours is a Dalmatian - they are notoriously food obsessed and you can't leave him alone with ANYTHING - although he won't steal if you are there which is an improvement on when we first got him! :lol:)

We get ours a bone or a jumbone or something like that to sit and enjoy while we eat and allocate them a place to sit where they are part of the fun but not 'bothering' people (ours have a rug by the fire place). That way they are out of the way but also have a treat to enjoy themselves.

My view is that when people come to your home they know you have dogs, as you say they are part of your family - you wouldn't lock your kids outside while you ate so they didn't bother you during dinner (or maybe you would, I don't know :lol:). As long as they are not climbing onto the dining table and running off to the roast it's not really a problem.

Have a wonderful christmas honey :hug:

Thanks girls im glad you agree with me! My husband is on side as well thank fully. Im to tescos in a min for the last min bargains and will get the dogs some treats.

If your dogs are excitable when people walk in the house, tell/ask the people to ignore the dogs/turn their backs on them/don't even push them away and YOU tell the dogs to get down. The dogs will think the new visitors are boring old farts who don't want to play and will leave them alone (usually works). Other than that, your house - your dogs, so let them enjoy christmas too :dance:

you stick to your guns hun,its your house and people should respect your views.My doggies will be under the table catching bits as they fall :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: if people dont like it then the people can sit in the utility room :rotfl: :rotfl:

Greyhounds and whippets are known to be sensitive and always are bouncy when guests arrive. I tend to just let them get on with it and tell visitors that once Eric has been made a fuss of and given 5 minutes attention he'll settle down again.

Then if we eat (on our own, no guests this is) at the table Eric usually gets fed about 5 minutes before we eat and he then goes and camps out on his bed in the sitting room and leaves us alone. I'd maybe look to giving them a smaller feed in the morning, then about 15 minutes or so before you serve up your Christmas dinner I'd give them another feed and then let them up the garden and make sure they pee etc and then have them come in, settle somewhere and all being well they will. It may well be that too many people will mean they are cautious about coming to the table anyways. And if you say to your visitors to take no notice of them when eating etc I am sure the dogs will settle ok. If need be your or OH can shoo them from the table to their beds.

Of course if you have them wandering round when you eat at the table and want to do so Boxing day then go ahead :) We don't expect Eric to be any different when we have people here to when we don't.

My in-laws have a greyhound and they never shut him away when we come over for the holidays. They just leave the door open to an upstairs room so that he can retreat when he feels overwhelmed (and when the Christmas crackers come out :lol: ). I think having a greyhound underfoot is lovely, they are such kind and gentle dogs.

Good thinking sherlock, will give them a feed before we sit down - they will get leftovers anyways. But im sticking to my guns and not shuttin them away - if the family dont like it then they can huff and moan i dont care. Its my house and they are my dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back