Working?

Lianatoot

Reaction score
I work nightshifts just now...and am working 48 hours a week some weeks 60 hours, which im trying to get reduced, but were really short staffed...

I am usually ok, but lately I have found it almost impossible to work, im so tired all the time! im constantly being sick at my work...then when I try and sleep after my nightshift, im waking up feeling sick, or needing to pee...im just exhausted really...

Things got that bad, that on monday I went to docs, and he gave me a sick line for a week! I really didnt wanta do this but felt I had no option! I am feeling slightly better already!

Is anyone else working and feeling like this? or am I just a hyperchondriac LOL!

I think most people get very tired in first few weeks or pregnancy, i know i could barely get out of bed in the morning and was back in it by 9 every day, and thats without the added strain of morning sickness as that luckily passed me by.
It's probably a good idea to take some time off and relax, i wouldnt feel bad for it though, it's not your fault if you feel unwell. though i do know someone who uses pregnancy as an excuse to do nothing at all and shes only 8 weeks lol hate to see her when she gets bigger and its not even her first!
Clare x

I also feel tired but luckily do an 8.30am til 5pm day. I bet it is much more difficult to function when doing shift work though. Don't feel bad about having time off. If you are exhausted, you need to rest :D

I feel exactly the same. I am only 4+5 and teach for 16.5 hours a week but have lots to do at home in the evening (marking etc) and feel absolutely shattered. I can't imagine what it must be like to work an evening/night shift.

don't feel bad for having time off if you need rest then take it, although I know it's difficult if perhaps you don't get paid when off sick.

Hopefully it will pass soon.

It doesn't get any better I am afraid :(

I am exhausted all the time - I work 8.30 till 3.30 teaching then do swimming lessons at night and all weekend. It kills me and I am normally in my pjs and in bed by 9.30/10pm

Would it be possible to speak to someone about making your shifts shorter?

Hope u feel better soon - lots of rest!

Where I work its 12 hour day shifts or 12 hour night shifts, I think im better staying on the nightshift, as they day work is alot more physical...

I feel better already with this week off! I am spending alot of time in my bed, I dont remember feeling this bad with my first....but then I am 10 years older now! LOL!

Thanks for all the replies girls!

I don't know how you do it! I work full time but it's 9 - 5 and that's hard enough. I would definitely get as much rest as you can and maybe talk to your boss about adjusting your hours and duties xxx

Lianatoot said:
I work nightshifts just now...and am working 48 hours a week some weeks 60 hours, which im trying to get reduced, but were really short staffed...

I'd be looking at health and safety to be assessing if this is safe for you to be doing so many hours a week and also the kind of work you are doing might need assessing as there are some things they cannot expect you to do if PG and have to make allowances for. If they can't (make allowances) they need to explain to you your options and give you the chance to accept one of them. That can mean doing other duties (on same pay iirc) or being sent home on full pay (again iirc). Check the Gov website on employment and pregnancy for all the info.

There is no law to make you work 60 hours a week so don't feel you have to, even if they are short staffed. That's not your doing and the fact you've just had yourself signed off sick for a week because of exhustion has just added to their woes as they are once again a member of staff down. Its a vicious circle and one you need to end for yourself. First tri can/is exhusting for most women due to the amount of work your body is doing till the placenta is in place and taking over.

I'd seriously be looking to cut back to at least 48 hours a week. This is 4 nights a week, which is harsh enough doing 12 hour night shifts. Most places stopped doing those years ago and at least reduced it down to 10 by extending day staffs working hours at both ends of the day. I always boggle when I come across people still working 12 hour shifts, esp at night.

Thanks for the feedback, I have a scan on monday morning, which im anxious about....I think if that tells me everything is ok, I will feel better about returning to work...I really do have to work, so not working is not really an option for me. I am gonna do as you suggested and speak to my employer, thanks again!

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes with the scan and also with speaking to your boss? I am in amazement that you are managing so many hours - well done! I work 35hrs per week, and have been exhausted, especially around what I think is the middle of the 1st tri xx

I havent really been managing LOL Thats the thing...last week when I worked, all I did when I was hope was sleep and be cranky when I had to wake up...Paul and Lochlin had no time with me, and it just wasent really good enough...

I feel 100% better just for being off since Monday...I will go back to work next week, but im defo cutting down to 4 nights...

I took the easy way out, I sent Paul up to talk to my boss lol! ...I just cant face them today bleughhh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back