Working Full Time After Maternity Leave

mandspice

Reaction score
I have plenty of time yet but I'm just thinking about my options after maternity leave - for mums who went back to work full time, how do you find it? Do you miss LO desperately? Do you find it's difficult juggling work and LO? We don't have any family nearby who could help out so it would be full time nursery or childminder.

I wouldn't go back until he was nearly a year old but I don't like the idea of missing out on him starting to walk and talk etc! On the other hand I want us to be able to have enough money do go on holidays and treat him to stuff.

Also, anyone who uses the childcare voucher scheme, how much do you generally save? Their online calculators are quite confusing but seem to suggest a saving of around 10%? (only my OH's company do them, mine don't).

Thanks xx

Hi Hun

I am not back full time but I do work 4 days (3 in the office and 1 at home)
Gabs only goes nursery one day a week; DH is a police officer so the shifts work out fab for us.
Gab gets a good mix of Mummy time, daddy time and also a day at nursery to mix with others.

I am not sure about the vouchers but I am going to look into them; I think you can save quite a bit.

All the best :hug:

I went back full time when Lucy was 10 months old. It was hard to begin with but it was also nice to have a bit of my own time and life back. It was definitely hard to start with juggling the new routine till we found a way that works for us but I don't feel bad when I say I don't miss Lu terribly, yes I missed her to start with but I appreciate her so much more now.

I would never tell anyone that its great and that it will suit everyone but it did suit us. Lucy loves nursery, she loves the social side and all the activities she gets to do. She has been very good at making friends and just gets on with it. I think if she hadn't got so much enjoyment from it (even at 10 months old she had a best friend called Matthew) then it would have been harder but now I don't think I could ever take that away from her. We all love weekends where we do things together like the family shop, and going to the park. She doesn't miss out on us, we make sure of that.

I was lucky and didn't miss the first time Lucy walked, or talked but I don't think it matters, its still special the first time they walk to you. Nothing nicer than going to pick your baby up and the see you, grin and walk over to you! That was a special moment.

The childcare vouchers can save you up to £80 a month, this is beacuse the amount of money you choose (up to £243) comes off your salary before tax so the £80 is the tax you would have paid. Its different depending on the scheme but usually the money is then paid directly to your nursery/childcare provider as part payment and you top up the rest.
The main thing to do first though is speak to the tax credits people etc. to make sure you wouldn't be worse off as I know it can happen but in most circumstances you're better off.

Tina & Gabs said:

Do you have your LO at home on the day that you work from home? I plan to see if I can do one day a week at home but I worry that if I did, I'd not get any work done. How do you manage?

Thanks for your replies, that's really helpful. It's definitely not an easy choice!

People keep saying to me I should try working from home but as Bubalu says, I can't imagine you can get much done with having to look after LO full time...? xx

I went back full time after 10 months with my first.

I felt ready to return to work and I felt that my son was ready for more stimulation as well. That said, I still shed plenty of tears when he first started at nursery. My son settled well into nursery it was me who was upset about it all. The guilt of going back to work tore me apart to start with, I still feel that guilt. I'm sure it will twice as hard returning to work after this baby.

My son goes twice a week to nursery and the in laws have him the rest of the time. I work compressed hours so that I have one day off a fortnight.

My son is a happy, sociable little boy. We haven't found it difficult managing work and a family. We both have flexible employers which helps and we have family support too which is invaluable.

Personally, I don't think working from home and looking after a child can work. Especially when they're very young, they need all of your attention. I had to do it for one morning when the in laws were poorly and nursery couldn't take our son all day. It was very stressful. I didn't get anything done work wise and couldn't focus on looking after my son the way I would do normally.

Definitely take up the voucher scheme if your company offers it to you. I worked out that we save roughly 1k a year from using them.

Bubalu said:
Tina & Gabs said:

Do you have your LO at home on the day that you work from home? I plan to see if I can do one day a week at home but I worry that if I did, I'd not get any work done. How do you manage?

I normally have my DH around for most of the time but if he isn't I just do what I can when she naps and then log on again in the evening. I manage my work quite well; although it's not always a conventional 9-5pm when I'm at home :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back