work or benefits?

starstruck2011

Reaction score
So who's going back to full time/part time work and who's not once they've had their little one?

I'm in 2 minds as I don't know how I will be better off on either.
Job = childcare costs.

My partner os self employed and earns under 15k a yr.
I earn just over 20k a yr.

Part time - I would earn around 9k a yr. Whats best!?!? I just don't know - boohoo.

Oh and I was also going back to college full time whilst on maternity pay next Sept. ANyone know the rules for this?

Last edited:
go into your local job centre they would be able to help you out more x they do a calculation to see if working is more beneifial x

Me and my OH run our own business so I'm very lucky I'm get to choose whether I go back and for how many days. I think I will probably look to go back 2-3 days a week 9 months to a year after bubs is born. But I can work from home so will no doubt be helping out before then, it's pretty flexible. We work with China so I can always be chatting to them during the night feeds :) xx

I have managed to agree an ad hoc basis with my current company so I will come in to cover holidays which is great as I didnt really want to go back but would like a bit of me time every now and then!!!
xxxx

We're dairy farmers so our work is our lifestyle too. I'll probably take about 4 or 5 months on "home duties"(maybe less, I'll play it by ear) but after that will just bring baby around the farm with me as I go about my usual daily routine. Looking forward to it:)

We're dairy farmers so our work is our lifestyle too. I'll probably take about 4 or 5 months on "home duties"(maybe less, I'll play it by ear) but after that will just bring baby around the farm with me as I go about my usual daily routine. Looking forward to it:)

I love to try that, but I bet its hard work x My little sister is mad on animals x

My hubby has a good job that pays pretty well so if i were to go back to work it just wouldnt be worth it really, less time with kids and most of mooney would go on childcare. I plan on going back to work when 3 kids are all at school(maybe sooner) x

I would like to come back part time if my company will have that. If not I hope I can find a little part time job, but we will have to see what the job market is like.

i'll be going back part time. got all the babysitting i need in family members close by so between them and my OH i wont need childcare.

i work for my mum, so can come bk part time. and hopeing the mother in law will have the baby in the afternoons as she only works till 12.
thats the plan but we will see.

Im gonna be on my own with a baby and a 3 year old so not sure what the hell Im gonna do :( xx

im hoping to work part time if my job will let me, Cant live on benefits where I am so have no choice but the difference in full time child care and part time id only have a extra 100 a month so dont think tis worth it compared to the extra half days with baby :)

Will kinda play it by ear though lol

Im leaving work Friday and im going back full time in August, i have the option to go part time but i doubt i will.

I have no one who can look after Crumpet so he will be going into full time childcare... very costly :( but id rather work then be on benefits.... Thats just my personal opinion and not a go at anyone who is on benefits.

xx

Me and my mother hen are hoping to set up a little buisness next year so hoping I can do that whilst she continues normal work until buisness takes off, but if it doesn't happen I'm unsure what to do as Childcare costs will be a little high :s xx

My OH and i both currently work full time but we're both on low incomes. We're trying to save as much as possible now but once baby arrives i won't be able to (nor would i want to) go back to work full time so we'll really be struggling. It's worrying, but i know we'll get through it if we're sensible. I will definitely go back to work part time, as i feel it'll give me a good balance of time with baby and time for me. Plus i've always worked and think i'd find myself going a bit barmy if i suddenly wasn't working at all. I also love writing and am going to try and do a bit of freelancing from home if i can.

It's a tricky subject. Different things work for different people and sometimes there is no incentive for people to go back to work. In my opinion people who choose not to work at all should never receive more in benefits than those who do work, but sadly this seems to be the case which is probably why there are so many people who have kids for the wrong reasons xxx

Gosh, I never realized before how lucky we were with the whole farming lifestyle. We've brought our first little man all around the farm with us since he was about 6 months old, moving stock, calving, milking ( he can even sleep in the milking shed for hours at a time:)), with the result that he's very farm savvy,knows what he's allowed to do and not allowed to do and is generally very well behaved around the farm. We didn't have to consider childcare at all. Once he turned 21/2 we sent him to kindergarten for 2 days a week and now he goes 3 days a week, which just gives us a bit of breathing space and gives him the socialization he needs. Plus it'll give us some one on one time with the new baby when she arrives.:)
I've always worked, and definitely couldn't NOT work, but I appreciate that I'm lucky to be in the situation that I am and that I can decide if, when and how much work I want to do on any given day:)

I'm going back to work! Hopefully its part time, waiting to hear back from work atm! I couldn't afford to just be on benefits, being a single mum i will be so much better off back at work!
XxX

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

I'm a teacher and earn a lot more than my husband so will have to go back. But not necessarily a bed thing as I think I will like the 'me' time even if it is at work!! Hoping to leave end of March (baby due early April) and go back just before Xmas 3 days a week. Hubby is going to do 4 days so we should only need 2 days childcare which should hopefully be manageable.

thanks guys.

Well I have my OH to babysit in the day so i can study full time at college, but then I may have to work full time as OH works 6 nights a week and would never see him but need money somehow! WOuld love to not work tho haha lazy!
Been working full time since 16...yawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back