Freelance work

Bee7

Reaction score
Not really pregnancy related, but kind of is lol. Basically after my maternity leave finishes i will only be able to go back to work part time. So i've been trying to think of extra ways that i could earn regular money possibly working from home. I have a degree in English and have always had ambitions of becoming a freelance writer. But i have no idea where to start looking. I've tried using google to research and look for clients etc, but there's so much info on there and it's hard to determine what could legitimately help me make money and what is just rubbish.

Are there any other 'mumtrepreneurs' out there who have managed to start a business or make money working from home? xxx

Hi Bee7

I am a freelance illustrator so I have a little understanding of what you want to do. I haven't had any work for over a year now but I work pretty much full time in an employed position so it's partly my fault for not pushing my freelance stuff.
I found getting an agent a massive help for me because before I did that I had only had little bits of work. Once my agent was on board I started illustrating actual books and was earning quite a bit from it.
Have you got a copy of Writers and Artists yearbook (think it's published by Blacks)? That has a lot of contacts and stuff in it and you could start sending samples and things out (sorry not sure what sort of writing you would be doing). that's what I did and how I got my agent.

Good luck!

Ooh, I'm a freelance illustrator too! And animator. I have an agent in London, through whom I get pretty much all of my work. I can't really offer much advice other than what RobsLouise has just said. My agent found me at my degree show... When you look for an agent, have a really good look at their website and their existing roster of artists/writers, so that you don't waste your time sending stuff to an agent that's either not appropriate to your type of writing, or an agent who already has too many people on their books who write like you do, or about too similar subjects/genres. FOr example, I know a lot of people who are animators like me, but my agent won't take them on because they are too similar to me, so there wouldn't be enough work for all of us and we'd be competing against each other. Ideally find an agent that looks after your type of writer, but that has a small gap into which you might fit nicely. Send samples, not too many, and chase them up if you don't hear. There's nothing like banging loudly on doors... that's how I got my first animation job. Sorry I can't help any more.

RobsLouise - will we have seen your work around anywhere? Just being nosey...
xx

Hi Karen

I've illustrated a few children's books- a couple for an American publisher and the rest uk. Nothing famous though!!
How about you?

Louise
x

Hi Karen

I've illustrated a few children's books- a couple for an American publisher and the rest uk. Nothing famous though!!
How about you?

Louise
x

Nothing much famous either! Good client list, not many high profile jobs. I've done print ads for Honda, I've just animated this bloke painting a floor for ITV player... I do a lot of commercial stuff and online things... http://www.jellylondon.com/talent/14/Karen_Cheung and, horribly out of date: http://www.karencheung.co.uk

Sorry to hijack your post, Bee7 :shock:. Hope you get some better answers! xx

Haha no problem ladies, feel free! It's great to hear from people who have actually managed to do it! I've never even thought about getting an agent - will definitely have to have a flick through my (very outdated) copy of Writers & Artists Yearbook. I think i need to establish myself a bit more and decide what specific genres i'm interested in before approaching anybody. I've written reviews/articles on all sorts of things but i think an agent would want more of a 'USP'.

Thank you for the advice! Feel free to keep hijacking, it's all really interesting and inspiring :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back