work meeting tomorrow

hopefulmummy

Reaction score
hi girls

I need some help. I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow (that I have organised, God the company I work for are shit) and I want to bring up all my rights etc, as they are trying to shaft me I think.

I was wondering if people could help getting it together with me. I know i can:

1) have 10 paid days at work during mat leave
2) get paid for any bank holidays whilst I am off
3) take time off before I leave work for good for antenatal classes. (which is 2 full days in my case)

It's the kind of company where if I'm not aware of my rights they will not tell me. I don't want to miss anything, so I need to be as prepared as possible.

any advice/experience sharing would be much appreciated.

thanks ladies

xx

No idea hun, maybe you could have arranged a Union Rep to go with you? And make sure Human Resources are there aswell as they know their stuff about maternity. Good luck anyway! x

wish i could help hun but i cancelled my 28 wk mw appointment today as work were trying to make me change my shift because of it being at 11.20(was due to work 10-6) my car is broken so couldn't get to work for the shift they wanted me to so had to cancel and rearrange for next wednesday.

really annoyed me as im entitled to my mw appointments and i booked it before they had done the rotas. xxx

ha! HR? our company doesn't have that! they don't think it is important!!!!

nmf - that's really bad. I would say that sometimes the times are out of your control and your health is more important. xx

I work in HR.

Everything you've said is correct. You also should have had a pregnancy risk assessment to check what your needs are in the workplace and to ensure they are accommodating your needs.

ANY and ALL of your pregnancy related appointments should be granted and paid although they do have the right to request to see your appointment cards or letters.

Hth and don't let them fob you off. If in doubt, check www.acas.co.uk

Xx

Thanks Lexus.

they have told me that my antenatal classes are not given unless recommended by doc and I have to take those days off as holiday, they showed me something on direct.gov.uk. that said you are allowed time off for antenatal care, which "may include classes, if these are recommended by doctor."

they also said you don't get extra money on maternity for bank holidays, you get your normal statutory pay it means that it isn't docked. is this right? If there is a bank holiday in august should I not get a days pay?

xx

Yeah, your antaenatal classes would have to be classed as an appointment but that's easy enough to swing. Just get your midwife to jot on your notes that they are recommended by her and the date and time of the session and they would not be able to refuse you that. They would have to pay you in full as normal.

With regards to the maternity bank holidays, I think I misunderstood your question. For example, I was thinking of my situation where our holiday accrual runs from April to April. I left for mat leave in Feb so I would have a full 25 days holiday to be paid to me upon my return PLUS 8/9 (however many there are this year) Bank Holidays, IN FULL.

If you are asking if they need to pay you for them as a normal full days work while you were on maternity, the answer would be no. All payment you receive on Mat Leave would be in line with company maternity pay and SMP.

I think that the Bank Holiday issue should be checked out in your company handbook. If they are the sort of company that doesnt have one, I think that would be a C.A.B or ACAS jobby as technically, they havent stated anything either way so you could question it!

Most things vary from company to company but some are just legislation which they are legally oblidged to follow so deffo check out the ACAS website.

Let me know how you get on hun

xx

Last edited:
Employers really try their luck with maternity leave I feel; mine has told me that I'm not entitled to any paid bank holidays because they pay an enhanced maternity pay, rather than just statutory. So, because I've been there 4 years and am taking the enhanced package that I'm entitled to, I forfeit my right to bank holidays. Even my friend who's a solicitor has said that's crap and I should raise a grievance as it's discrimination - but they're making redundancies at the moment and I feel like I shouldn't rock the boat too much!

How did your meeting go in the end? I'd recommend getting everything in writing from your employer, then take it to ACAS or CAB and see what they say.
x

i know. it's out of order. i am now going to be behind if my iron levels etc are low as i havent had my blood tests when i should cos had to cancel. makes me angry. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back