Won't feed?

teampc

Reaction score
Hey ladies....help please

Little dex woke up about 3 for his feed as normal, but I cant get him to feed, he has litke two sucks and then stopos, he is getting irate and more and more upset, while I'm getting very sore, anyone got any advice?

I've tried all sorts to calm him down and then try feeding again but every time I try to feed him he instantly gets upset again

Its now been like 9 hours since he fed properly, I'm getting worried and am seriously running out of ideas

Marc is currently trying to calm him down for me to see if that helps at all

Anyone got any advice?

ok i expressed and he has taken the bottle an now fallen asleep......think i should express again ready for when he wakes up incase he wont feed from me again.....but worried he will get used to the bottle and never go back to me

Well you don't have an option right now so express and see what happens. Let's hope everything will be ok.

Try holding him differently like rugby ball or lay down. Xx

---
-

hey hon how did the next feed go? Don;t worry about a little expressing, more important that he feeds. Have you got the phone number for a bfeeding counsellor? That would really help (unless u seen one already?) just for them to pop over and check latch etc. We went to see one when LO was 5 days old as we had a lot of latching probs and helped a lot.
Maybe LO has a little cold coming and is a bit blocked up so harder to bf? Gosh it's so hard these early days, I remember them well.

Sorry can;t be of more help, hope some of the other ladies have a few more ideas. Diff feeding positions is a good idea
xx

No other advice than the others have said, try different hold and also speak to a BFing advisor, there should be a local team in your area either midwife or HV can put you in contact.

Sometimes there are reasons that baby will start rejecting boob. My friends baby only fed for a couple of weeks then she had to move on to bottles because he associated boob with pain, something that happened shortly after the birth with the midwives in the hospital man-handling him too roughly to lach on and he gradually hated it more and more til he wouldn't latch on at all.

Hope that he feeds better today, but try not to worry coz he'll pick up on your tension too xxxxxx

Right well he took one boob fine but then freaked out again
I'm sat expressing for him again, but it's slow going, could there be something up with my supply do you think?

He has been sneezing this morning, so wondering if he might have a cold coming on, is there anything I can do about that?

Does he feed from one side fine and not on the other? It took me a long time to get Oscar latched on to my right boob, didn't get him on right for months lol.

I could never do rugby ball hold, but alot of mums manage it fine and baby feeds better because they think they are on the opposite boob, if that makes sense?!

Don't think there is much you can do for a cold at this age. Make sure there is fresh air coming through the house and keep him more upright so his nose stays a bit clearer.

xxx

call you hv/midwife and get in touch with a bf advisor, these guys know everything and will give you ideas and support...
Remeber when expressing even if not much that babies are much more effective and can get more than the pump.
Have you tried diff holds? Lying next to him, rugby ball etc like the others said?

Hard not to stress but try not too hon..

xxx

Hey ladies, right had a full day of it lol
He has taken a bit here and there but nothing like normal, also he has only just gone to sleep, not had any other naps today

I tried different positions but he wasn't interested, I can't decide what's up with him, sometimes it almost seems he is too hungry and tired and he can't focus on what he wants to do

I've spoken to a bf support person who has told me to keep doing what I'm doing and along as he is having wet nappies then he is fine, and so far today every nappy has been wet so I'm going to try not to stress about it

I'm now going to try and express a little after each feed so that I have some here just incase I have more problems

Thanks for all your comments x

Hope you have a better night tonight xx

---
-

Toby used to have occasional days like that too, and after he'd refused to feed once I think I'd get stressed which would delay the let down and he'd get frustrated that no milk was coming out and the same would happen again! I know it's not easy but relaxing definitely helps, and if he prefers one side try feeding him more on that side if it's not too uncomfortable for you with the other side filling up!

It's unlikely to be anything to do with your supply but if he's a bit blocked up with a cold he could be finding it harder to breathe while he's feeding. You could try sitting in the bathroom with him with a hot shower running so it's steamy, or have a bath together and feed him in there x

Hope today is a bit better?
Was thinking could you hand express a little to get it going and he can smell it (as it'll be evrywhere lol?) just an idea. The bath idea above is good too. The stress don;t help does it? And the worry...Hope you a have some improvements, good that you spoke to the bf advisor and she is at the end of the phone for you know, ring her whenever you need it.
Am away for 2 weeks so look forward to seeing how you're getting on when I get back. xx

Ok I'm here to update ;)
Things got much better last night, I finally got him to feed properly, and then off to sleep about half eight, then he woke up at 11 had another good feed, went back to sleep perfectly, then up half 5 another good feed, then back to sleep and up at 10 this morning......so fantastic night lol
He is feeding now and seems to be so much happier today, so in turn immuch happier :) think we will have a little trip out today as we haveactually had some sleep lol

Thanks so much for all your comments ladies, I'll keep you updated over the next few days with how it goes

Aww glad to hear he's feeding much better. If he's been a bit snuffly that might've made him not want to feed like has been said.

Hopefully he'll keep up with the good feeds now xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back