Breastfeeding help

Emmerdale

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My little boy is coming up 4 weeks and I have been breastfeeding him since birth. The last couple of nights he has taken ages to feed at his last feed before bed time. He continually feeds for about 40 minutes and then try and put him down but he cries for more food at least twice more before he finaly settles! Am starting to think about introducing a bottle of formula at his last feed to see if this helps to fill him up - what do people think of this or does anyone else have any ideas that I can try? I don't want to give up breastfeeding yet but am getting so tired at the moment that I don't know what to try next.

Thanks

Em
x

If you want to see if a bottle helps, try expressing of that feed and then giving him the bottle. Is he kicking his legs around and looking in pain? We had this for a bit - I found I had to hold her upright until she could feed again. The HV said it was colic and if it is that TBH it won't make any odds whether you BF or give him a bottle.

Hi Emmerdale :wave: This behaviour is totally normal and is known as clusterfeeding. Ella used to do it for up to 2 hours every night. Bub is stimulating your supply at the moment so I wouldn't introduce formula as it will affect your supply and ability to breastfeed.

Kellymom is great for info, here is a link to the bits on clusterfeeding. He will calm down in a few weeks. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Well done for getting this far :hug:

Thanks Kina - that's great. That makes sense as once he has finished feeding he will go about 4/5 hours before needing the next feed. Makes it easier to cope with knowing it won't last forever. It's just hard when he does this from 11pm until 1am when all I want to do is go to bed!! Will keep going then!

Em
xx

You're doing fab hon - I found it really hard work too. Just didn't relax into it the way I should've. Pop him on, make sure you've got drinks handy (or DH to grab them ;) ) and relax in front of the tv. :hug:

Hi

Good for you for continuing it is hard work but you can do it!! In a few days this should pass :)
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back