Wind!!

swan1

Reaction score
My little one is nearly 4 weeks old and is having real problems breaking his wind, this in turn is waking him up in pain. He will not burp at all during feeds and his wind comes down the way if any comes out at all. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas on how to help him break it easier.

Is he bottle or breast fed??

My Lara has problems getting her wind up and we tried gripe water..seemed to work sometimes if given just after her feed.. a massive burp would come up but not every time.. it just took lots of walking around with her on my shoulder!!

With Laras occasional bottle feed we always make sure we stop her after 5 - 10 mins and burp her before continuing with feed.. this breaks it regularly and is less painful for her afterwards.

I also gave up broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic and oranges as these are known to cause tummy ache and wind... [if breast feeding of course!]

My doc prescribed infacol but haven't tried it yet.. gripe water seems a bit more gentle.

hope he is better soon xx

Mia had this problem too when she was younger.......and a nurse told us to put her in the potty position it helps to open her bowel and the wind will come out one end or the other.

You hold her so shes facing outwards with her head inbetween your boobs, you then hold her feet so her knees are bent upwards, and bum sort of outwards.......hope that makes sence.

This really seemed to help Mia if she was in pain from wind, and it almost always let the wind come up.

HTH

Amy xx

He is bottle fed, it doesnt seem to affect him during the day it is just during the night which i find a bit strange but i suppose its just one of these things. I have tried infacol the last few nights but it doesnt seem to be making much of a difference.

Will try holding him as described by amy tonight and see if this helps. Other than this he is just the most contented wee thing and i feel so sorry for him as it looks like he is in so much pain when he draws his legs up.

I used gripe water and infacol and infacol worked best for Jaycee. Gripe water basically fizzes the wind up to the mouth for a burp. I didnt like giving her that. Plus infacol was a nice orange flavour and she took to it much better!

I found infacol helped but not immediately after using it for a week or so.

Will keep going with the infacol, i have only been giving it to him at nightime, ie with his last bottle at 11 and then again with his feed at 3am, should i give it with every feed do you think? its only these feeds he ever has any wind problems with.

Try him with every feed them maybe every other feed then bring him off it gradually so he's not dependant on it. Over a month or so :hug:

Yes keep going with the infacol as it builds up, I found it great. My LO also is worst at night as aparantley they build up more air when they lay flat too so try winding him before his night feeds too, Leorah sometimes brings a burp up then :)

Dentinox Colic drops are really good. They smell a little like peppermint and you mix it with the formula rather than putting the infacol tube in your baby's mouth, i always found they hate that, they just want their bottles lol. Also try lying your baby over your knee, tummy down, thats really good for getting wind up too.

Infant Colic Drops
Many babies suffer from colic at one time or another. Whether they are bottle or breast fed, they're bound to take in a certain amount of air when they feed. This can build up in a baby's immature digestive system, causing distressing pain and prolonged crying.

With Dentinox® Infant Colic Drops you can help to relieve your baby's discomfort. Just half a teaspoon given with or after the feed will help your baby enjoy feeding without suffering afterwards. Each pack now contains a handy syringe for easy application.

Dentinox® Infant Colic Drops contain an ingredient called activated dimethicone that gently disperses trapped air bubbles. It is pleasant tasting and can be given to babies from birth onwards.

Dentinox® Infant Colic Drops do not contain alcohol.

den113l.jpg

Colief drops - what a magic cure I found them to be! Also the midwife lent me a tummy tub i.e. a bath for the baby which looks more like a bucket, so they are in foetal position with legs up. After a bath in this he always let rip for England haha!
Also baby massage taught me good methods of rubbing the tummy and back which helps release trapped wind. Worth a try!

Thanks for all your tips, the holding technique works a bit, and the infacol is starting to make a difference i think, i will give it another week or so in order to see if it builds up and makes a real difference, someone else mentioned colief drops to put in the bottle so i think that will be my next stop if the infacol doesnt work.

We ended up putting two droppers of Infacol into each bottle and then also a drop of Colief into each bottle too. No medical expert would recommend that I'm sure, but it worked for us, and we reached the stage where we would give anything a try. i know how horrible it feels to see your baby in pain and feel so helpless! Anyway if its some consolation he soon grew out of it (only lasted a few months and then we phased out both these things, they can be quite expensive after a while)
Sorry don't mean to harp on! Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back