Will she understand "no" yet?

Hazel

Reaction score
My little madam is starting grab everything so I think I need to teach the word "no" to her before she gets hold of something she shouldn't. How do I do this :? . Do I remove the thing she's grabbed and say no or do I say it before she grabs it and distract her? I can see I've got a little monster on my hands after crying yesterday to be picked up while shopping when she was in the pram then then insisting on hanging upside down and laughing while DH held her :lol:

I don't use 'no' often. I've looked after too many children where the word 'no' was so overused it became ineffective and often ended up being yelled back at the parents time and again. When its really needed it has little impact. I tended to not use it and so when I did say 'NO!' the children knew I meant business.

My tack, even though Galen is small is to find other ways of asking him to leave something alone and remove it. If he grabs my hair I say something like 'Let go Mummys hair please' and remove my hair from his hand and then say thank you to him. Or if he snatches the remote I'll usually say something like 'Not for you Galen' and gently take it from him. Then say thank you again. I'm all about manners and think being polite from a young age and hope that as Galen hears me saying these things he'll follow suit as they are part of my day to day chats with him.

He has yet to have a paddy about me taking anything away from him. The only time he has cried is if he bites my nipple when feeding I pull it out and say 'Owwww' quite loudly. He has learnt that Ow means I am a bit miffed about it and then may cry for about 20 seconds before I give him my nipple back. He is usually more careful then.

i use "no" if its something that could cause issues like wires trying to grab the tv ect,
but i use "leave it" if its just something general like trying to get our food, taking something from me like a pen ect
they will understand it if you continue to use it hun :hug:
also i take the item away after i say no so he knows what item im talking about
also make sure you move her away from the item if its something big like a tv you cant move haha
xx

i think sherlock has a point there i probably overuse "no" and millie thinks its a game :wall: she DOES stop, but then she looks at me all wide eyed, and then a little smirk spreads across her face and the cheeky monkey starts to touch whatever it was again to see what reaction she gets. so i shout "no!" again and she snatches her hand away- as intended- but looks at me again all wide eyed and then wiggles around excitedly! i dont help tho ispose i cant help laughing when she does her cheeky face :doh:

she's never near anything dangerous so it doesnt matter so much :)

The only time I use 'no' is for her grabbing my glasses. She definitely understands what it means!!!!!!

we dont use it very often, but we have started saying 'no' for certain things. She does kind of know what it means. She's started to get a little angry look on her face when we say it, and sometimes does a little angry noise to go with it :lol: I shouldnt laugh, but its so cute. She's just so small to be getting annoyed with me... :lol:

I think she understands.

I tend to say no for when she tries to do potentially dangerous things (like eat plastic bags or grab hot tea etc)

For other things i generally use more of an explanation of why she shouldn't do that, like "that hurts" or "thats not to be eaten" etc.

Sometimes she just looks at me and smiles but i think she gets it.

She seems to have learnt what "let go" means finally, as i use it way too much as she's always grabbing my hair!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back