• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why don't they give enemas anymore?!

Coco pops

Reaction score
Hi Girls!

I have read that lots of us are scared of pooing when in labour and I was talking to my mum about it and she cannot understand why they don't do enemas anymore. Anyone know why?!

I don't want to stink the place out!!

xxxx

Didn't realise that they don't give them anymore! My Mum said that she had one before both of her births, i was hoping to have one! How did you find out that they don't give them now? xxx

Don't know why, kind of wish they still did too!

:( x

Last edited:
EWE my mom was telling me about these and scaring my whole antenatal class last night!!! what it is is literally they squirt like a soapy liquid or substance up ur bum which causes you to empty your bowels quickly and more or less so you wont poo during labour.

I would defo not want this after the details i heard, My mom and dad have had 7 of us and it was only the last couple she didnt have to have them.

My mom said the poking wasnt too bad thats nothing when labour on the cards but its just the way of exceting evrything espesh if you had piles or anything OUCH!! xxx

After suffering with constipation for the majority of my Pregnancy i was kinda looking forward to the enema!!!! xxx

After suffering with constipation for the majority of my Pregnancy i was kinda looking forward to the enema!!!! xxx

awww theres always castor oil for extreme times that will clear you out but not recommended as causes cramp too :( but thats one if the old wives tales about bringin on labour too! xx

awww theres always castor oil for extreme times that will clear you out but not recommended as causes cramp too :( but thats one if the old wives tales about bringin on labour too! xx

Thanks hun. I've suffered for years. Haven't heard of using Castor oil though, i will definitely keep that in mind! I find that Glycerin Suppositories help me if i am seriously bunged! I went for 4 weeks without going when i was at the beginning of Tri2 - not nice!! xxx

Apparently enemas can make things even more embarrassing, as everything in there becomes runny after them (sorry tmi). And often before labour the body will clear itself out. that's what I heard anyway!

I guess we can still do one ourselves if we want to?

Apparently enemas can make things even more embarrassing, as everything in there becomes runny after them (sorry tmi). And often before labour the body will clear itself out. that's what I heard anyway!

I guess we can still do one ourselves if we want to?

yuk! yeah our homemade ones would prob be a cake icing set funnel:rofl: goodluck to anyone that trys doing it themselves i think i will stick to maybe pooing in labour i would hate to go to a & e with something stuck up there ! xxxx

Thanks hun. I've suffered for years. Haven't heard of using Castor oil though, i will definitely keep that in mind! I find that Glycerin Suppositories help me if i am seriously bunged! I went for 4 weeks without going when i was at the beginning of Tri2 - not nice!! xxx

Thats a shame! must be horrid feeling bunged up too.
Yeah my mom has used castor oil and my friend has. Think you have to use it literally around your due date it apparently tastes like chip fat oil. But you can mix into a milkshake or something but its meant to 'empty' your body and start labour off with contractions. With my friend it worked but gave her bad diarraehhea for a couple of hours i think everyone can react differntly and some people it wont work at all. Dont fink midwives approve too much though! xxx

Lucyann well you can buy little premade ones with special liquid. I don't think those would be that difficult to do at home!

Tee Hee i thought this would start a bit of a debate!!! I still want the enema!!!

i heard the body does a clear out before labour, so try no to worry too much about it.

I spoke to my mate whos had 3 kids and said i was scared i pooped during labour, she told me that when ur at the pushing stage (most likely time to poop) they basically wipe it all away before you, OH, birth partner etc even notice. My friend pooped in all 3 of her births and she said she didnt know until she had a wee look at her notes lol and her hubby (who is a joker) said he didnt even notice either, so try not to worry too much about it.

I still do LOL! Ive told my OH not to look down there incase "i shit myself". While i was in labour with my son (not at pushing stage, just strong contractions) i went to loo and my body had a good clearout, so i do believe in this.
We have so much to worry about and when in that position, its probably the last thing we worry about lol x

its because;

1) the body naturally empties your bowels during labour to maximise space in the birth canal
2) it was shown that the emenas dont actually stop you pooing a bit during labour anyway
3) the midwives really do not care if you poo anyway, most people do, but only a little bit, and amongst all the other body fluids and the baby coming out of you it pretty much goes unoticed

but if youre very constipated you can still have an enema, as its best ot have empty bowels during delivery.

just thinking, maybe a few decades ago when most women had epidurals early on you couldnt get up and walk to the loo when the natural insticts kick in so perhaps thats why?

ema-lou the problem is I want to have water birth... Means that if smth does happen, it will be floating around :(

I read that they used to do it because they thought that it might help to speed up labour and stopped once it was shown that it isn't actually effective.

Not too keen on enemas myself and besides who cares if you poo a bit during labour, it's not like you're going to see a lot of that midwife again and any birth partner worth his/her salt will be much too busy and excited about the arrival of the baby to give a s**t (sorry for the pun!) about what else comes out among all the fluids/ blood/ placenta etc. ;)

I'm glad you started this thread, cause I've been wondering why they stopped it too Coco Pops.

My biggest fear of the labour is pooing in front of people, I'd just hate for it to happen! Hopefully if it does I won't even realise though..

Last edited:
Ladies if it helps I poohed this time while pushing . I had no epi so I could feel it happen I was a little embarassed but I was far to busy pushing to be overly worried . The MW very quicky and very quietly sorted it out and told me it happens all the time and not to worry .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back