Mixing with other kids who are ill....

I agree with you Lou 100%. Good luck for next week. If she clocks you one, I'm right behind you! :)

Its amazing how different we all are when it comes to this!

But also nice that it hasnt turned into a slanging match either! :rotfl:

LucyBee said:
I agree with you Lou 100%. Good luck for next week. If she clocks you one, I'm right behind you! :)

Cool :D If it does kick off believe me you guys will be the first to know :lol:

As a parent you have to do what you feel is right. I hope it goes well :hug:

At the weekends we all meet up at my mils and the kids all play together, but my sister in law always phones me to let me know if there ill so i can choose to let them mix or not.
When my niece and nephew were sick with the pox i let stephen over there cos he had had it already but chose to keep imogen away because she was only a tiny baby and i wouldnt want her to catch it yet.

maybebaby said:
You can't protect your child from every illness circulating - what's going to happen when they start school? Coughs and colds are just something you have to get used to & I don't think it's appropriate to ask a mother to keep her children away just because they're coughing.

I agree with you mate.

I don't know why people would ''kick off'' once the spots are out, chicken pots is not contagous once the spots are out, like you say it is the 4/5 days BEFORE the spots so BEFORE anyone even knows (including yourself) that the child has chicken pots, by then its to late!

as it goes oran doesnt actually go to playgroups or anything just yet, but when he teeths he gets a bad cold for about 7 days, he is fine in himself, but he has got a tooth every few weeks since 6 months so IF i did take him to one I wouldnt stop taking him because of his teething cold and if any other mothers told me not to bring him I would laugh at them and tell them if they have a problem they should stop taking their child.

jennywren said:
maybebaby said:
You can't protect your child from every illness circulating - what's going to happen when they start school? Coughs and colds are just something you have to get used to & I don't think it's appropriate to ask a mother to keep her children away just because they're coughing.

I agree with you mate.

I don't know why people would ''kick off'' once the spots are out, chicken pots is not contagous once the spots are out, like you say it is the 4/5 days BEFORE the spots so BEFORE anyone even knows (including yourself) that the child has chicken pots, by then its to late!

I agree with you too!
And although each parent, parents differently It is known that for a baby/child to catch chicken pox isn't as bad as it could be if an Adult caught it

I think it's a really tricky one, I think I would have to say something if the kids were snotting all over the toys, but at this time of year most children suffer with coughs and colds. If the child is well in themself I can't really see the harm, they will come accross it all again at school and ultimatly could end up taking more time off then because they havn't been able to buil up a resistence.
Chicken pox is contagious until the spots have all crusted over
"You are infectious from about two days before the rash appears until roughly five days after. Therefore, you, or your child, should stay at home until all of the blisters have fully crusted over, and this usually happens 5-7 days after the first blister appears. After the last blister has burst and crusted over, you are no longer infectious." taken from http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... ticleID=97
I personally wouldnt take my children to a playgroup until they were no longer contagious with chicken pox, for the sake of kiddies who might be immunosuppressed, or where there is likely to be pregnant mums.
I hope it gets sorted, and roll on the summer eh?

jennywren said:
You can't protect your childI don't know why people would ''kick off'' once the spots are out, chicken pots is not contagous once the spots are out, like you say it is the 4/5 days BEFORE the spots so BEFORE anyone even knows (including yourself) that the child has chicken pots, by then its to late!.

Chickenpox is still contagious until all spots have completely crusted over. I don't think it's unreasonable for a parent to 'kick off' as you say if their child is exposed to chickenpox at a playgroup. Chickenpox is a nasty illness and whilst it is better that it's caught in childhood, I don't want some other mother making the decision about when my child catches it!

And chickenpox is dangerous for pregnant women too.

jennywren said:
[if any other mothers told me not to bring him I would laugh at them and tell them if they have a problem they should stop taking their child.

I think that's a really sad attitude. You don't know what other mothers are going through or have been through (or their childen come to that) and I think we should all try and be understanding of one another. To laugh at someone who has concerns about their child's health and just tell them to stop coming isn't a very kind or nice way of dealing with the problem.

I know I wouldn't say anything to a parent who brings their child to a playgroup with a cough or cold but I would talk to the playgroup if they're allowing kids in with chickenpox or other illnesses like that.

LucyBee said:
jennywren said:
You can't protect your childI don't know why people would ''kick off'' once the spots are out, chicken pots is not contagous once the spots are out, like you say it is the 4/5 days BEFORE the spots so BEFORE anyone even knows (including yourself) that the child has chicken pots, by then its to late!.

Chickenpox is still contagious until all spots have completely crusted over. I don't think it's unreasonable for a parent to 'kick off' as you say if their child is exposed to chickenpox at a playgroup. Chickenpox is a nasty illness and whilst it is better that it's caught in childhood, I don't want some other mother making the decision about when my child catches it!

And chickenpox is dangerous for pregnant women too.

jennywren said:
[if any other mothers told me not to bring him I would laugh at them and tell them if they have a problem they should stop taking their child.

I think that's a really sad attitude. You don't know what other mothers are going through or have been through (or their childen come to that) and I think we should all try and be understanding of one another. To laugh at someone who has concerns about their child's health and just tell them to stop coming isn't a very kind or nice way of dealing with the problem.

I know I wouldn't say anything to a parent who brings their child to a playgroup with a cough or cold but I would talk to the playgroup if they're allowing kids in with chickenpox or other illnesses like that.

Very well put and completely agree with you.

*** SPECIAL OFFER ***

Tom's got bronchiolitis so if anyone wants their child to have 2 weeks of coughing and struggling to breathe, PM me and I'll swing 'round to your playgroup this afternoon. :)

poor little chap. give him a hug from us!

if alice is ill i avoid taking her to places with kids (i know its not always possible). And i don't like taking her to docs etc with me. but i don't want to wrap her up in cotton wool.

but saying that, ive been so lucky with alice - she had only ever had a couple of nasty colds.

i want Jam to get chicken pox so its done and dusted, used to him havin coughs and colds tho!

i use to hear of chicken pox parties , where if someone had chicken pox everyone would bring there kids / have a party in the hope there lil ones would catch it and get it over with ! better to have it younge and all that !

We've got playgroup tomorrow again girls....wish me luck! :D

A few days before Brody was due for his op, I took the boys to the park and a boy ran up to Brody, say down next to him and sneezed right in his face, he was covered in spots and it looked just like chickenpox to me.

I was FUMING, if Brody would have caught it, his op would have had to be cancelled and rebooked for after I'd had this baby! I was panicking how I would cope looking after and breastfeeding a newborn while stuck at the hospital taking care of Brody.

Chickenpox is good to get out of the way if it's convenient at the time but you can't decide that for other people, just cos you believe it's a simple thing and good to get out of the way.

People have had to cancel holidays (and even get stuck at a holiday destination cos they can't get back on the flight home) and kids miss their own birthday parties etc cos of an outbreak. No way I would do that to someone, it's not fair.
Also if a pregnant woman comes into contact and she hasn't had chickpox, it puts her unborn baby at risk. :(

DS got chicken pox when I was pregnant, and I was really worried and spoke to midwife who told me its only dangerous to the baby in the first and last few weeks of pregnancy.

But as Urchin points out it is dangerous and you could take a kid with chicken pox to playgroup and someone could be only just pregnant and it could lead to devasting results for the mother.

Be so careful with taking poorly little ones out, a cough and cold we can live with but anything else could be harmful to others.

Im never taking my kids to playgroup il stick to pre school as sick kids arent allowed to attend.

We came into contact with a kid who had chicken pox the first time we took Isaac camping. The parents were really nice though and kept their LO well away from Isaac. Its weird how some people seem really selfish not just with their own kids health but others peoples kids health too. I would never put another families children at risk, especially not just for the sake of missing an hour or so at playgroup once a week.

When my dad was 6 my nan made him kiss his cousin who had chicken pox at the time,so he'd get it. :rotfl: it does make a curious kind of sense though. However if Wills had it, I'd make sure she was kept away from other children...well, little ones anyway, chances are older kids have had it and all..I wouldn't take her where there was babies and toddlers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back