Whose going to ante-natal classes?

Piglet's Mama

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Any thoughts yet on the above? My Midwife has said I should start booking my parent craft classes and I def want to do the hospital tour, but I'm a bit dubious about the others (Pain relief & Feeding) - I get a bit embarrassed and flustered in new situations with new people etc but don't want that to put me off if they are def worth doing. Also, I think so much can change in terms of how you plan to feed and give birth that I'm not really planning to get my heart set on anything if that makes sense... I may also have to go on my own to the classes as they are during the day and my hubby can't get the time off work :-( This is also making me reluctant as he already thinks I'm hogging everything baby related... :roll:

What's everyone's thoughts? x

My midwife brought this up today as well, but I only got offered a 2hr antenatal class and breastfeeding class!! I will also be going on my own as everyone who I could go with is at work.. But mine is on monday!! So have got just under a week to pluck up the courage to go! I remember last time I had to go when pregnant, we all had to stand up and say our names and baby related stuff!! But I'll get a cuppa and a biscuit, must be worth it! :) x

Eeeek, that's what I dread - I just panic and get flustered when put on the spot! Not sure what to do really, will have a chat with hubby and see x

Ive been told to book early if I want to go, I'm unsure as well. I went when I had my daughter 14 years ago as i knew nothing and didnt have internet then! I and made a few friends which was nice but that was on a RAF base and just mums as most peoples hubby's were away.

I wonder if I should go this time as I expect things have changed since then. Don't think you have to go to all of them, my friend only went to the ones she was interested in! I'll prob have to go by myself too as hubby always away, might take my friend who is my stand in birth partner if hubby away.

Hubby was v. sweet actually and said "We'll do whatever you want", bless :) Might have a think about it for a couple of days then ring up and see what the waiting list is like. I've got loads of questions re feeding mainly, i.e. how much do you give them? Lol! So if they're giving us all this basic info then I might pop along, especially if there's tea & biccies :) x

Jenny I'm exactly the same! I'm shy and hate being thrust into situations like that. Am thinking it might be good for me though.

I went to them when I was pregnant with Lennon and it was nice cos it meant that I knew some mums that I was in hospital with. I did keep in tounch with a couple for quite a while after too but we have now drifted apart due to school/work/after school commitments but we still chat if we bump into each other.

Not sure if I'll do them this time. I would like to get to know some other mums due around the same time but I've been there and done all the lessons and can't be arsed with it all again...!!

If I was you I'd go. I went on my own last pregnancy and met some lovely ladies..... Info and discussions fun and worthwhile. I'm gonna do the same this time - I'd actually rather go on my own. I took hubby to first one last time and he was the only bloke there!! You do what you think best for you - perhaps one on one questions with your midwife will give you all the support you need.

I've been told I really should go by the Midwife cause my birth is planned for the community midwife unit, which means the only pain relief available is G&A and birthing pool x

The rest is focused on keeeping moving and birthing ositions and breathing x So I've got to go to learn it all lol x

I have already booked my NCT classes for September. Was so worried when everyone said they book out so quickly... My OH said he will come along too...

Its our first so think any info and support we can get is going to help. :)

no need to be nervous girls cos its all people in exactly same situation, i wqent to 6(?) classes i think and i personally thought they were rubbish BUT i had quite a bit experience with new cousins etc and as for the other stuff bout pain relief i had heard it all a million times over here !! lol BUT i know some people think theyre invaluable esp if u want to ask questions, i only went for fear i wud miss something lol!! xx

I've booked some NHS ones at my Surestart Centre, where I see my Midwife anyway. We get 4 x 2 hour sessions. I wasn't going to go as like a couple on here i hate being put in situations where i have to play an active part, role plays etc etc, it makes me really nervous. I dont mind if when we go we just sit down and the Midwife just speaks to us but anything other than that i'm a bit worried. But its for my baby so I'll put up with it and if i really dont like it my partner has said we dont have to go after the 1st class.

xx

I'd like to go and take the OH with me but my midwife hasn't mentioned anything, no idea when I should be looking around for stuff like this or where to even start.... :s xxx

I asked my midwife about the classes and she wrote down the local website where i can booked the classes. All booked up for june 18th - i'll be 34 weeks pregnant by then - i will be HUGE! ...:bump:

and the classes are all on 1 day which is ace, and they are based as my old primary school which will be strange ... definately taking hubby so that we're both clued up on whats to come...:dance:

I'm gonna go to antenatal classes... I've been offered 3 2 hour sessions and then a separate breastfeeding workshop... :) xx

I wasnt going to go and had no intentions og going caus thought they would be sitting me in a circle telling me how to breath haha

Since then I have spoke to a few people and on Wirral mine are 4 2hour sessiosn and cover
*noticing the signs of labour
* pain relief/drugs available and your options
* Feeding and coping in the 1st few weeks
*tour of the labour ward

After being told this I have decided to book onto 1, I will be going on my own as my partner will be in work. Evveryone else will be in the same boat as me in the 1st week and by the 2nd, 3rd & 4th I reckon everyone will be chatting :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back