Who the *bleep* will hire me at 20 weeks pregnant!

TiffanyJaynexo

Reaction score
Considering I get that far into my pregnancy anyway :/

Okay..
I'm on job seekers benefit. Right now I'm at the point of my benefit where I have to do a mandatory community work task force course. This is a 13 week course and I have to work for a community or charity based organisation. They won't pay me a wage, but I will get an extra £15 on top of my £50 per week benefit. How generous!

This course is 30 hours per week of work (once I get a work placement of course).
That's 5 hours a day over a course of 5 days, as well as a 5 hour job search per week.

It is mandatory and if I don't do it I will lose my benefit.
Truth is.. I don't want to do this course any more and this is only my first week (introduction week). Once this course is over, I will (hopefully) be 20 weeks pregnant. Who in the World is going to hire me at 20 weeks pregnant?! and also I might not feel up to working at 20 weeks pregnant. I don't feel up to working 25 hours a week now because I'm terrified of a miscarriage and I don't want to over do it. Plus I wouldn't even be getting near enough the same amount as a full-time job.

I want a part time job so that I can have some money set aside for the baby. The very little money I'm getting now goes towards my credit card bill, which still needs £110 paid off.

I really don't know what to do. I have to go back to that community work place either later today or tomorrow to do a 5 hour job search. Although he did say it will only be about an hour. I don't want to go back, then again.. I've just searched for jobs online and there is nothing decent going at the moment.

Advice? I don't want to have no money as I desperately need it right now, but I cannot do this course. It's all too much with the ridiculous rules e.g. 5 hour job search

Thanks ladies xxx

will they not find you something suitable considering youre pregnant? Obviously you cant be asked to do lifting and they'll have to risk assess any job you do. Make sure they do that for you, its illegal for them not to. Unless you have complications or a higher risk of miscarriage its unlikey that they'll say you dont have to do it. you'd probably need a sick note from your doc to get out of it.

They said obviously in my condition I won't have a job where it's outdoor building or anything like that, and I already told them I have experience in reception work and retail so a job in those sectors would be ideal.

I really don't see where they're going to find a job like that for me though. Especially in the little town I want the job to be based. I don't want the job in the main town because it's miles away from my partners house and I don't want to be too far from him. I'd much prefer a job in the little town.

It seems like a total time waster to me. Especially since this company is being made redundant in June. The government is changing the benefits and so this course won't be around for much longer.
But I need the benefits to be stable before I get offered a job. I can't not have money :/

thats good that they are taking into account the fact htat youre pregnant.

youre just gonna have to do it hun if you want the money. at least you'll get the extra £15 per week. that'll help. do you have access to a car?

No I don't :/ So I'll have to get a bus which is £5 return ticket.
Except I have to pay for the first £4 of my travel fee's and then I can request travel expenses from them.
I will do it, but can't get there until next week so my weekly job search will have to be next week.

xxx

When my friend was pregnant, she was on JSA, and she went in and said she was pregnant etc, and they said she didnt have to do the course.

I was working 37h/week untill I was 36 weeks pregnant during my first pregnancy. Can't say "I felt like working" but I had too. That's just life.

I too worked full time until 39 weeks. It's not easy but it can be done.I'm sure they will find you something suitable if they can't they won't force you to do something that could endanger you or the baby x

Like many others I worked and worked long hours until heavily pregnant and had humongus morning sickness as well but never missed a day...its much better for your mind to be out and about doing things whilst pg anyway; working certainly won't cause a miscarriage xxx

I did the same - I'm a senior manager at a bank and travelled 2 and a half hours a day into London from Bristol until 34 weeks and worked until 36 weeks so it can be done. It is hard when ur tired etc but worth it to keep money coming in for you and little one. I'm sure a job a little distance away from OH isn't a bad thing either...in fact could be lovely lol :)

And your pregnancy will fly by if your kept busy :) My last one dragged but seeing as I have my hyperactive little one this time I don't have time to worry about it too much .

I don't know what to advise hun, but I agree with you, EVEN if they do find you a job and your 20 weeks pregnant;
a) you might not feel like working
b) you might have complications with pregnancy and your midwife advices you to not work (hopeully this won't happen) but what would they expect you to do, ignore your midwife and put your baby at risk?
c) if they do find you a job; you'll have to go on maternity leave a few weeks later anyway.

I hate the job centre!!!

I don't know what to advise hun, but I agree with you, EVEN if they do find you a job and your 20 weeks pregnant;
b) you might have complications with pregnancy and your midwife advices you to not work (hopeully this won't happen) but what would they expect you to do, ignore your midwife and put your baby at risk?
c) if they do find you a job; you'll have to go on maternity leave a few weeks later anyway.

I hate the job centre!!!
Its true she way not feel like working but to be honest most people don't feel like working but have to . Of course that means being lucky enough to get hired at 20 weeks pregnant which probably wont be too easy .So maybe you will just have to do your training ? Maybe I'm wrong ? . I'm certain if you had complications they would understand too and would not force you too find work and allow you to rest especially if it is on a midwives advice ? I would like to think they wouldnt be that heartless . As far as I know the health and safety at work act would mean they will have to accommodate for you being pregnant and not give you any heavy lifting or risky jobs . At least if your on maternity leave you will have the comfort of knowing you have a job to return to if you decide not to continue with your studies . I know it seems stupid to drag you through it all but you may well be glad to have something to pass the Time ?

I hate the job centre!!!

a) I didnt feel like getting up and going to work this morning. But I did
b) in this case she would get a sick note from her GP and would not have to claim job seekers
c) yep, :dance:

Not again!!!!

I just meant that alot of women have difficulties during pregnancy and CANNOT work! Not Tiff getting up one day thinking hey don't feel like working today think I'll sit back on my arse and do nothing I didn't say that did I.

but then you'd get signed off. Im sorry but all im trying to say is theres no way out of working while youre pregnant. We all hate it, but unless youre ill, and then go on the sick, thats just he way it is. Until I win the lottery anyway...

That was the point I was trying to make............... not if your pregnant you shouldnt work, if you have complications during pregnancy and get signed off then... you shouldnt work?

Ino Amyrose haha :( xx

I got out of working while pregnant :smug:

.....but then I wouldnt recommend getting locked in a room with a theif for 2 hours to get out of work.

But hey....keep your options open ey!

ah life is like a box of chocolates never know wot ya gonna get! lighten up my girlies or i will be dishin out group hugs and team bonding:rofl::flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back