which formula is best?

laetitia85

Reaction score
I want to breastfeed but might occasionally use formula as well. which one do you use and which one is best?

I voted Cow and Gate... but i have only used that and Sma gold...
Sma gold made Keeley every constipated.

I voted SMA Gold but I have only used that and Aptamil. Aptamil made her throw up all the time but SMA Gold does tend to make her a bit constipated so considering trying Cow and Gate :wink:

The only one I actually got on with was Farleys.
Although my daughter was 5+ months before she took formula so can't say for a newborn.

there's absolutely no way of knowing. Each baby is different and what's good for one baby may not be for another.

With formula it's trial and error I'm afraid :hug:

Nic'n'Keeley said:
I voted Cow and Gate... but i have only used that and Sma gold...
Sma gold made Keeley every constipated.

Same here. If I do give Ryan a bottle, I give him Cow and Gate cartons now because he just didn't seem to get on so well with SMA Gold. I breastfeed more than 90% of the time though so if Cow and Gate wasn't working for him, I probably wouldn't notice, but since we have swapped, the formula/breastmilk doesn't seem to be as different for him if thsat makes sense, he doesn't seem to notice as much that it's not breastmilk.

I put cow and gate as its the only formula I have ever used.I have never had any problems with it, so squits, vomiting with either children.

SMA gold made Iain constipated, Aptimil he was sick as a dog, cow & Gate gave (comfort) Gave him loadsa problems resulting in terrible nappy rash n blood in stools :cry: total nightmare!

so last of all tried Farleys first milk n it worked wonders wi him. :dance:

but like others have said its all trial n error. :D

my hv told me aptamil was closest to brat milk but they all make D sick

If your going to use formula occasionaly its best you wait until after 6 weeks so you can establish your supply first or you will have problems.

I didn't vote because Isaac's been on 3 different formulas, SMA to Cow&Gate and now he's on HiPP :)
Cannot recommend one as all LO's are different and they will tell you which suits them :hug:

We use Hipp but all babies are different so you sometimes have to try a few. Maia had to have C&G comfort for a while because of reflux.

smawhite has been brilliant, no problems at all and hannah is a very big (good) weight. In size 4 nappies already.

Is it ok to try using a different brand once you've started using one?

Dylan is on SMA at the moment but he seems hungry all the time so i wnated to try a different make or go onto the SMA one for hungry babies?

I don't think there's one that's better than any others, like everyone has said it depends on your baby. I didn't use formula until recently, he has HiPP but has taken a carton of Cow & Gate too when we ran out.

To be fair I only tried SMA and Cow & Gate so I don't know about any other formula. We switched from SMA to Cow & Gate comfort on the advice of my sister in law because the SMA was giving Isaac bad wind.

I used SMA Gold for James, and then when he was older SMA progress. Never needed to try any other brands :D

Jonah was on C&G prem milk in the neonate unit so we kept to C&G. Never had any problems.

Hoping this one will be ok on it cos I have cupboards full of it already. I never realised til coming on the forum that babies would have prefereneces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back