Where to start

tweetyfoo

Reaction score
I've got 3 months to go until I start, but given how fast the last 3 months has gone I feel I should start thinking about weaning. I figured it would be one of those instinctive mothering things, but nope - the whole thing terrifies me for some reason.

I have no clue what I'm doing, how to start it etc etc

I think I'll be doing a combination of TW and BLW. But no finger foods until he is 7 months (on the advice of his speech therapist).

I have been advised to just let him stick his hands in it and go for it though :lol: As it will help his development.

I genuinely don't have the first idea about weaning, how to start it, how much to give them, what to do about milk etc can anyone either clue me up or point me in the direction of a good book

I had no previous experience or did I know what I was doing :lol: so I know ho w your feeling :thumbup:

I started my lo off with doing breakfast using the baby cereal's and also the baby rice, and I followed lo's lead I still kept with the bottles she was having, and if I made her rice or cereal up with her milk I let her drink what was left.

As for how much I think the cereal I was using was like 1 spoon to 8 spoons milk or something like that so If I remember right I used 3 spoons of the cereal so there wasn't to much but there was enough and you can always add more milk to get the consistency you want. I used my freebie spoon from the petit filous it was about the size of a tea spoon maybe a little smaller.

I'm sure you will be fine, and I'm sure lo will lovemaking a mess :lol: I know my monster does

Hi tweety you've plenty of time yet but if you want to have a read up check out this link

I was given a talk by my HV on weaning and she had all this info printed out for me- it is all online though and based on traditional weaning. Bit it certainly gives you an idea on how you could start, amounts to give etc.

http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=52

It's from the dairy council and there's lot of useful info on there.

However we've done blw so haven't used much of it!!

Out of interest how does putting off finger foods til he's 7 months affect him?

With regard to blw there's a fab book by gill rapley that gives a good bit if background to the theory of it- tbh I'd try and borrow someone's or get from library as once you've read it you don't need to go back to it. There's also loads if stuff online.

We started at 5.5 months and gave Harry pretty much everything we have to eat

He's never refused anything and loves his food!! He's now 7.5 months and will quite happily sit and eat with us xx

His speech therapist told me not to start him before 7 months as he was 4 weeks early and he has DS, so his jaw strength isn't as good, and it wouldn't be good for him. She just wants him to be a bit stonger before having anything he has to "chew"

I think I'd rather g0 down the BLW route, but need to get more info on it, on what I can do with purees etc.

Ah right- was just being nosy!!!

You've plenty of time to suds it out and like most mummy things you kinda get to know what babies can do/are ready for when you get to that point!

If you'd rather do BLW can you not just wait till 7mo the and start then?? Or do you feel you will NEED to do purses. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

If you'd rather do BLW can you not just wait till 7mo the and start then?? Or do you feel you will NEED to do purses. Xxx

I suppose I could wait, it all depends on Aaron I suppose.

There is so much conflicting advice about weaning babies with DS.

The problem is the muscle tone in their jaw and tongue. So far Aaron is doing well - by virtue of the fact he can bottle feed with a normal teat. He does tongue thrust a lot which could make it difficult to get food into his mouth

BLW will be better for the muscle development in his face, and his normal development as a while, TW will be better for actually getting him to eat "solid" foods. As there are many DS kids who at age 4-5 still can not eat "grown up" food.

As with everything to date, Aaron will guide me I suppose as he tends to do things as and when he wants to - be it early, late or on time! :lol:

Stalking this thread... I'm in the same boat. He's 17 weeks and has only tasted fruit purée the order day. I'm in no rush... But I don't have a clue xxx

My sister has ds and to be.completely honest she did with her what she did with me. Xz

I suppose I could wait, it all depends on Aaron I suppose.

There is so much conflicting advice about weaning babies with DS.

The problem is the muscle tone in their jaw and tongue. So far Aaron is doing well - by virtue of the fact he can bottle feed with a normal teat. He does tongue thrust a lot which could make it difficult to get food into his mouth

BLW will be better for the muscle development in his face, and his normal development as a while, TW will be better for actually getting him to eat "solid" foods. As there are many DS kids who at age 4-5 still can not eat "grown up" food.

As with everything to date, Aaron will guide me I suppose as he tends to do things as and when he wants to - be it early, late or on time! :lol:

Obviously I know pretty much nothing about weaning re DS, but I just wondered if BLW would help with some bits of his development, and if you went straight to that he wouldn't be used to feeling 'full' iykwim. Also might mean you don't have to transition from baby food to grown up food if he never has baby food.

Also - im assuming the 'food before one is just for fun' will still apply if he's not losing weight.

Xxx

That makes so much sense Lorna

I think I need to do more reading on BLW, as I know very little about it, but I'm keen on it from a developmental point of view

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back