When would you stop sterilising?

LoopyLouize

Reaction score
This might sound like a really stupid question but.. What age are you going to stop sterilising bottles and dummies?

The only reason I ask is because I never really thought much about it and was just going to continue sterilising everything until LO is fully weaned. However, numerous friends of mine mentioned the other day they stopped sterilising bottles and dummies after 6 months as babies are alot more immune by that age.

Whats your views? x

I thought bottles had to be sterilised for a lot longer because of the milk? I could be wrong?

I heard your supposed steralize everything up until a year old x

the bottles id keep doing til weaned really, the dummies etc id stop once theyre crawling round n picking things up to chew on as it seems pointless then

I've always kept doing it until they are 1 did that for my other boys so will do the same for Jake xxx

Last edited:
The HV told me that the official line is 1 year but if you are a generally clean person then 6 months as long as things are clean!!
xxx

I think 1 is the official age recommended by health professionals, but like mrs n says, if things are generally very clean, maybe stop sooner.

Think it is recommended to keep sterilising bottles till 1 cos the milk might get stuck in the teats. We do bottles but just wash her bowls and spoons etc

This is a strange one...

When my eldest LO was a baby you stopped sterilising at age 6 months & you also stopped formula altogether & mixed all the baby food with normal cows milk. Now they advise to use formula right up til age 1, so...when they get to 6 months, you dont have to sterilise dummies/bowls/spoons ect, but you need to sterilise the bottles, because of the trapped milk causing bacteria.

xxxxxxxxxxx

I thought you stopped altogether at 6 months. As long as things are washed in hot hot water , I'te never done his spoons or bowls as so much goes in his mouth like toys etc that has never been sterilized and Drake is fine.

We stopped when Owen was about 6 and a half months old x

Mum of Owen. Born 11/7/11 @ 19.17pm weighing 7lb 12 oz :)

I stopped doing Ks bottles at about 1, but stopped a lot earlier with E, as she was constantly licking the floor and the soles of my shoes and stuff :lol: same for boiling water for them to drink! It seemed daft doing it when she was drinking her sisters anyway! Think I stopped sterilising about 5 months, maybe a bit earlier! Tbh I knee everything had been cleaned meticulously anyway!

This is a strange one...

When my eldest LO was a baby you stopped sterilising at age 6 months & you also stopped formula altogether & mixed all the baby food with normal cows milk. Now they advise to use formula right up til age 1, so...when they get to 6 months, you dont have to sterilise dummies/bowls/spoons ect, but you need to sterilise the bottles, because of the trapped milk causing bacteria.

xxxxxxxxxxx

This is how I've understood the guidelines, although I suppose if you have a dish washer you could stop at 6 months, unless I get one in the next month :) I'll continue to do the bottles for as long as she has formula

Never thought of this. Good thread x

I sterilized my eldests til she was 1 was quite particular about it too

With my second daughter i did the bottles until she was 1 but didnt do the spoons/bowls etc like my dh pointed out at the time she was picking stuff up and putting it in her mouth off the floor so what was the point!

Will sterilize Jaidens bottles/dummys until he's 1 xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back