When to tell.............

gypsy

Reaction score
I am now 8 weeks pregnant and have my 1st appointment with the midwife on November 5th.
My question is....when did you tell others you were pregnant?

I am wary (?) of telling people as I had a miscarriage at 13 weeks last year. So far only me and my husband know, no one else.

Michelle x

My DH told everyone as he was excited - we kinda took the attitude if something happened we would want people to know anyway. Only you can decide the best time to tell people x x x

this time we told a few people once we had our early scan at 9 weeks and just let it trickle threw the grapevine
manda xx

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

I posted a reply about this to someone else earlier today.

*snip*

We told our parents as soon as we found out, and a couple of close friends and my boss (I'm a nanny and she needed to know). Everyone else we waited till 12 weeks.

A good friend said to me her measure had been, would she be able to tell these people in person should she miscarry in those early weeks. It came down to close family and friends yes, others no. I thought about it and felt the same. I didn't want to tell *everyone* just in case something went wrong and I then had to explain. It'd have been hard enough just telling those I love, let alone work colleagues and friends. I found it a good yardstick to measure whom to tell.

*end snip*

End of the day, do what you feel comfortable with. If thats only telling a few close and trusted family and friends then :) If once past 12-13 weeks and wanting to gradually share your news with others, then you can pick and choose.

I have to admit I've still not really told all that many people. Lots of my friends and general aquaintances have no clue. I doubt I'll say anything until I start showing now. But that's just me :roll:

I would say do what you feel right with - we told close family and my best mate at 4weeks when we have been to the docs!!
Everyone knew by 10 weeks except my work colleagues who I am telling after our scan tomorrow!!

Do what you think is right xxx It is nice to share it with people and they can help you and support you xxx

thank you everyone for your replies.
Since I have told DH, and everyone on here, I guess the rest can wait until i have had my first scan................... :lol:
I am not that close with my mom so it doesn;t worry me that she doesn;t know at the moment.....

Thank you again

Michelle x

Only my bf knows atm, but ill tell everyone else once ive had my scan

We told:

My parents at 5 weeks.
My work at 8 weeks.
Hubby's mother at 12 weeks.
Grandparents at 16 weeks.
Rest of family at 17 weeks.
Friends at 18 weeks.
Huuby's work at 20 weeks.

If I remember correctly........

Mmmm whenever you choose to...

last time, i told everyone the day after i found out! literally went through my phonebook on my phone... :lol:

then i m/c at 9 wks so had to then tell everyone the bad news......... which was horrible as you can imagine..... going over and over and over what happened!!

im now almost 7wks and theres only DH and a couple of very close friends know...
everyone else incl family will find out after scan! xxx

ps: congrats.. :hug:

I told everyone straight away with both my boys. But it's totally up to you hun.

My immediate family and one friend know. I would rather wait until after the 12 week scan for everyone else for the same reason as gypsy. However someone off here knows me on another forum and told people there :doh:

We told my parents and work at 6 weeks. Had to tell work due to the nature of my job.

We told OH's parents shortly thereafter and although we told them to keep it quiet, the next time we went down to OH's dad's EVERYONE knew... We were really cross.

Even OH's cousins that we see maybe once every 5 years sent a congratulations message, which is all very nice, but it wasn't information that we wanted the world and his wife to know just then.

Hi everyone,

When I had my first I told everyone straight away!!! When I had my 2nd we told the parents and a couple of close friends more or less straight away and then most others at 12 weeks (by which time they could tell anyway because am quite small and the stomach muscles just went the second time).

I am a lot more wary this time having had a m/c 3 months ago. Am 5 weeks and only DP and I know (and you guys of course) - can't even bring myself to tell my Mum at the mo. as I am so nervous about it!!
Plan to tell her, and DP's parents if I get to 8 weeks; everyone else will be after 12 weeks I think (may tell a couple of close mates before if it comes up).

DH and I decided we'd tell my parents, brother and best friend straight away (was so nervous telling my parents!), had to tell work last week as I work in a laboratory with some rather nasty chemicals/bacteria!
Told DH's parents and sister yesterday.
I'd had to tell my lab shift partner early on too so that she could deal with the work I couldn't without making it obvious to everyone else that I was avoiding it. Now I've told occupational health and my boss they have to do a full risk assessment of the lab and possibly cut down my hours (yippee!!). Am finding 12 hour shifts a bit too much - so tired!!
Not going to tell anyone else now til after 12 week scan. My Dad suggested we put copies of the scan in christmas cards for our grandparents and aunts/uncles so that will be a nice surprise for them all!!

We told close family straight away but then waited until 12 week scan to tell the rest :)

I've only really told the father atm, my parents found my not well hidden pregnancy test so asked about it, a few people in work know but they're those who pretty much guessed anyway, i wont be telling work until my scan and everyone else im pretty much going to just wait until they go "omg your bellys got big, are you pregnant" . i'm finding it hard not to tell because im excited but i no hes finding it hard to deal with and hasnt told his parents yet and i have to respect that and keep my mouth closed until hes ready
Clare x

last time we told my parents straight away, and the rest of the family at 8 weeks - it was christmas and it would have been a bit suspicious me not drinking like a fish!!

this time we have told my parents, and one of my friends, and we are going to tell his parents next week, and the rest after the 12 week scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back