When to stop swaddling

First time mum

Reaction score
Hi Girls

My nearly 3 week old daughter likes to be swaddled at night, but the last day or so during the daytime she seems to struggle and cry and escape her swaddle robe, is this normal? should I just be putting blankets over her in the day?
Also, should I be looking for a grobag instead or is this too early?

All replies gratefully received - thanks

I dont know the deal with grobags I'm afraid, but we just swaddled Ryan until he really couldnt stand it anymore! If shes not diggin it during the day try and put her down without, and see how she settles. It wouldn't do her any harm. All just trial and error though really, there's not a right or a wrong way to swaddling :)

We swaddled up until about 3 months, I think. At least until he lost his startle reflex which was what was waking him up. We also used the grobag sleeping bags from birth as they have the poppers under the arms which mean you can use them from 7lb onwards. I had a giant muslin cloth that I used to swaddle him over the top of his sleeping bag. Thinking bag he did used to struggle but that was because he used to really fight sleep. I think quite often they will break free of the swaddle cloth when they are too old for it.

Niamh started breaking free of her swaddling so I tried her in a grobag (once at 4 weeks and again last week) but she didn't seem to settle well, so I now just swaddle her really tight. I also got a 'miracle blanket' from ebay which has flaps to hold down their arms (almost like a strait-jacket :rotfl: ). Sounds brutal but she seems to like it at the moment! I just make sure I keep her legs loosely swaddled because apparently she needs to be able to have her legs in the frog position to allow for hip development.

I have Miracle blanket too and use it every night. I leave him "free" during the day as he is trying to put his fingers in to his mouth when he needs soothing... I believe it's good for his development.

try half swaddling instead (keeping the arms out) if she's struggling to wriggle out
We used a gro-bag from 5 weeks and Josh sleeps much better now

Thanks for your replies, think I will try half swaddling. Eventually I will move to a grow bag - any advice on the best ones and where to get them from for a newborn?

First time mum said:
Thanks for your replies, think I will try half swaddling. Eventually I will move to a grow bag - any advice on the best ones and where to get them from for a newborn?

Try TK Maxx or Asda, bargains galore :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back