How to end swaddling??

Happybunny

Reaction score
Hello! :wave:

We have swaddled April when she sleeps from day one. She really seems to love it, but I don't know if we have made a rod for our own backs as now she seems unable to sleep at night unless she is tightly wrapped.

She can nap for about 40 mins max in the day without swaddling, but when we try her at night time, she wakes after 40 mins, when she can last about 3-4 hours being swaddled.

She is coming up for the big 3 month mark and we figure we should be helping her out of the swaddle blanket or else we will still be swaddling her when she is 16!!

Has anyone been through this or does anyone have any ideas how to help our little one give up the swaddling and get a good night's sleep?

Oh i dont no, Ive swaddled Caitlyn since day one also, She loves it and will wake at 4am and will come in our bed for cuddles til 7am

Hmmm maybe try using something like a baby sleeping bag over blankets? And put her in it during the day also so she gets used to it then and its not so strange at night. You'd probably have to keep persevering and just tough it out till she adjusts but I am sure she will in time. She is still young enough that hopefully after a few days she won't have memory of it.

I havent swaddled so not really sure how babies are like with it - but my dd wont sleep unless shes in her gor bag - have you thought about trying on of those so she feels secure?

we where able to swaddle hannah til she was about 7 months old!!!
I wouldnt worry, just one day they'll be too big lol.

We are the same, i have swaddled bethany since she was born she is now 14 weeks old and sleeps so well from 7-5 and even 7-7 but will only sleep swaddled if she comes out of it she wakes up, but we have decided its time to start trying her without as she cant be swaddled forever and she may overheat. Just not sure what is best?? think i read somewhere try swaddling with one arm out for few nights then 2 arms with half body wrapped up etc until they are not swaddled at all

I wouldn't worry! We swaddled Livvy till she was about 4 or 5 months.. we panicked that she wouldnt like not being swaddled, but the very first night we just kinda half swaddled her under her arms and she was fine. I actually think she kinda enjoyed the freedom with her arms.

Just keep going till you feel she is too big for it!

xx

I swaddle Clark like a snuggly little grub every night and for his naps and he is 9 months, I don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of a sleeping habit that works!? If thats what they like then go with it I say!

grace was swaddled during the day for naps until about 10 months. then one day i tried just putting blanket round her as she had some milk and she went down. now she goes down with no swaddle. she did it herself really. for night time she was in gro bag which seemed to work as she likd to wave her arms about but i think she liked the wamth round her body. she no longer uses it as she crawls around in her sleep and her legs were geting all wrapped up and waking her up. you LO will let you know when its time to leave swaddling behind. if it works i dont see why you should change it.

We swaddled our LO until about 10 weeks. Then he started managing to get one arm out etc so we moved to a gro-bag. No probs with him getting used to it.

we swaddled Jenna for naps and night tome from birth. When she got to about 3 months old she used to fight to get her arms out so we would come in and find her half-wrapped after her naps. We started weaning her out of it by swaddling up to her armpits for a week, then used grobag for naps and 1/2 swaddle at night for another week or 2, and then tried grobag at night and it was fine. I guess we stopped using the swaddling completely when she was about 4&1/2 months old

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back