swaddling, sleeping bags, blankets??

chelsea

Reaction score
ive just read the thread on sleeping bags and looked on the bumpto3 website and there is a bit about swaddling blankets etc.

all this bedding stuff is confusing me, do you swaddle a baby then go to a sleeping bag? (i would ideally like to use sleeping bags instead of blankets) can you use sleeping bags from birth (obviously dependant on weight) how long can you swaddle a baby for? can it be their bedding all the time, if so how do you change it suitable to the temperature, with the sleeping bags you use different togs, but can you do this with swaddle blankets?

the swaddle blankets look really good and i would like to use them and then convert to sleeping bags (depending on whether baby likes them or not!) but as im due in january im not sure if just a vest, sleepsuit and swaddle blanket would be enough to keep her warm and i would end up using blankets anyway?

sorry if that sounds all jibberish (it makes sense to me :lol: )

Chelsea,

My DD was born in Feb and our house is freezing, to start with we swaddled her and then placed a few blankets on top of her, she also wore a vest and a sleepsuit, I think she was about 2 or 3 months when we moved her to a sleeping bag, she didn't take to it initially, so we reverted back to swaddling for a week or so then tried again, she's been in a sleeping bag ever since and seems more than happy in it.

If you buy the grobag sleeping bags they come with a room thermometer which tells you what they should wear with the sleeping bag.

:D

If you use sleeping bags make sure you get the ones suitable from 7lb or so, not the ones only ok from 10lb and up. Baby can slide down in the 10lb ones if too small in them. Loads of ones suitable from birth around, just read labels :)

We used sleeping bag from birth and have never changed. Been great for us.

i swaddle amelia, and put a blanket over her too.

ive never really taken to sleeping bags. but i probably will get one with her still being little in the winter.

Before you go ahead and buy swaddling blankets, bear in mind that some babies don't like being constricted like that! My baby boy, Finn, would have had a fit if we'd tucked his hands in! The sleeping bag is great for him.

The Grobag sleeping bags are suitable from birth. Louis was 6lb 8oz when he was born and slept in a sleeping bag from the first night. He hated being swaddled so I'm glad I didn't invest in special swaddling blankets... and even now he still hates blankets: if I ever try and put a blanket on him when he's having a daytime nap he'll just kick and kick until he gets rid of it! Difficult to know in advance what your baby will like and dislike :wink:

we used blankets when Holly was in her moses basket and then moved to sleeping bags when she went into her cot. We didnt swaddle her cos she hated it.. she's always liked to throw herself around. With the sleeping bags they provide a guide as to what clothing to put them in for the room temp. We have a room thermometer as well....

Kylie1007 said:
Before you go ahead and buy swaddling blankets, bear in mind that some babies don't like being constricted like that! My baby boy, Finn, would have had a fit if we'd tucked his hands in! The sleeping bag is great for him.

Same here! Though she wasn't a fan of sleeping bags at first for the same reason (she was legs everywhere). Started using them again at about 8 weeks and she's been in them ever since.

we swaddled India for the first 4 weeks, and since 5 weeks she enjoys moving around a little more, i just put a blanket over her, but occasionaly swaddle her in the day if she's fussy and also at night sometimes just swaddle her but with her arms free. She loves to suck her hands so much i feel mean keeping her arms down, plus she'll wiggle them up eventually. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back