swaddling advice

Sarah W Baby Belly

Reaction score
I've finally got round to buying a swaddling wrap to try on my little one when he decides to make an appearance.

My questions are.

It seems very thin, which is probably a good thing, but will I need an extra thin sheet or blanket over him to keep him warm in addition to his sleepsuit, or should I just put sleepsuit on with wrap and see if he settles without any extra covers first.

Also, have any of you swaddled your baby using just a sheet or a blanket, and what did you use? I saw a video the other day of how to swaddle a baby but she wasn't very specific about the material she used or whether the baby would need any other covers.

What is your experience with swaddling?

sorry no advice re swaddling but was it you who was looking for wrap around baby gro's?? if so, they have some in boots :D

I swaddle Coby alot, he seems to get alot of comfort from it, i also swaddle him and put him in his mosses basket like it, HV and Midwifes will say not to do that, but its the ony way Coby will go to seep.

I use the celluar blankets to swaddle him in, they are not to thick, not to thin and have the holes in them so air can still get in to his body.

I swaddled each of my kids untill they were a month old, i would recomend it to everyone.

Yeah i swaddled aimee till she was around 3 weeks in a blanket folded in half. I went straight on to putting her in a grow bag and she didn't seem to notice the difference and sleeps really well in it!

im glad you said that kwain, the next step for Coby is a grow bag, we noticed today that hes is outgrowing his mosses basket, think we will only get another 2 weeks out of it, then he iwll have to go in his cot.

never used growbags before so i wasnt sure about them.

but hopfuly he will take to it well

Thanks so much everyone, you are so great.

Layla, I haven't actually bought any cellular blankets yet.

Could you tell me where you got them from and roughly what size they are?

As you can tell I'm still completely clueless :lol: i feel sorry for my baby already. :D

Kim, yes it was me looking for the wraparound babygrows. I have managed to pick up a couple of cheap ones unused from ebay and they are lovely. I'm all set for the labour ward now!

Sarah - i got mine from mothercare but im sure you acn get them everywehre, babies r us etc.

I have 2 diffrent sixes, one cot size, whihc is the one i use for swaddleing, and one pram size, i just use that as an extra layer under the cosy toes for if its really cold out.

I use the Acrylic ones rather than teh cotton ones, i just find them nicer.

here is a link for the ones i use

http://www.mothercare.com/invt/lz2590&b ... edblankets

The material is thinner as your baby is wrapped fairly tightly in it so no warmth escapes, like normal sheets. So although they are thinner the baby is warmer and more snug and they look so cute when swaddled - like little glo-worms :p

hmm the hospital told me not to swaddle eva :? unless they meant just when she was sleeping in a cot (due to cot death etc)

Isaac loves sleeping with his arms above his head so I stopped swaddling him early on. I tried to swaddle him the other night to wash his hair but he is too big and strong for that now. Babies are alot easier to pick up and handle when they are swaddled and I think thats what got me confident handling Isaac when he was born. I used the cellular blankets from mothercare to swaddle him so the air could circulate around him and he would be less likely to overheat.

I use the blankets in his cot now. I use one sheet, one cellular blanket and a top think cotton pram rocha little rocha blanket which is a little luxury I treated myself to ;)

Its a pain knowing how much bedding to use because we keep our central heating on low constant but it still feels chilly at night sometimes.

Lou

layla said:
im glad you said that kwain, the next step for Coby is a grow bag, we noticed today that hes is outgrowing his mosses basket, think we will only get another 2 weeks out of it, then he iwll have to go in his cot.

never used growbags before so i wasnt sure about them.

but hopfuly he will take to it well

Hi Layla we hav been putting jake in a grow bag since he was 10 wks and he loves it, he always used to kick the covers off and his lil feet were like ice blocks in the morns! as soon as we put him in it (bout 7'30) his lil face lights up as he's knows its bedtime! We then leave him to settle himself(wich takes max10mins) and he doesnt wake again til 7am :D :D

cool, thanks for that Lisa :)

we will be trying Coby in his soon, prob about 2 weeks or so, he is already starting to get out of being swaddled

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back