When should there be some routine??

SuziQ

Reaction score
Hi,

My LO is almost 8 weeks old... and I was wondering if there is any 'unspoken rule' about when you should have some routine?
e.g always sleeps x hours, always feeds at certain hours of the day etc etc etc
I have no routine, but little one is feeding and sleeping well...
Does it matter that I'm happy with that ? :D

My LO just made his own routine at 3 months, he suddenly started to cry and want to go down at exactly 8pm, it was great!!! :cheer:

Its hard to say. I have always had the same routine for both babies but that worked for me and them. I found when they were younger, with the routine they went down well and night and still do but it was quite restricitve during the day. I couldnt go places as I had to make sure naps were adhered to.

I wouldnt have done it differently though.

But if your way works and your baby is happy then you are right too.

hannah was about 3 months. Emily still isnt in one at all yet.

Seren is nearly 21/2 years. She has breakfast,lunch and dinner at similar times,and goes to bed at 7.30pm but apart from that she sleeps when she wants. Cally is the same and it has worked great for me. Go with what feels right, some people like routine others don't, no way is right or wrong

We had a routine from the moment she came home from hospital... and lil miss just had to sorta fit into it... it was a lax routine because of her feeding and she was nigh on 3 months when she got the hang of it... but it was a routine :) babies love routines... the world is so confusing and new a routine allows them to know what comes next...you don't need to force them but simple things... bathtime same time every night,... get up and change them same time every morning.... those sorta things :)

We started a bedtime routine when he was 3 months, and then since he started on solids he has always had his meals at a similar time each day. Other than that he sleeps/plays etc when he wants and that suits us best. Babies tend to develop their own routines when they're good and ready.

Some people suit a strict routine but we really wouldn't have done!

Phoebe has made up her own little routine. I didn't even realise we had one until I messed up her feeds one day (OH's birthday and we all went out to dinner) - it then took about 3 days for her to sleep as well as she was at night! So I won't be doing that again.

Its not a really rigid routine mind you, I let her tell me when she is tired, I watch for the signs then put her down for her naps. Problem is, if I am out and about she'll sleep pretty much the whole time lol so even if I wanted a rigid routine I couldn't - buggy = sleepy time. Though thinking about it, she always still seems to sleep at night.

She has started letting us know she wants to go to bed at 8.30pm though, so that's great :) Finally have a few hours together. Though there is always something to do... Bottles etc!

She will always sleep 5ish hours from her last night feed, so I always try to do this at about 11pm for my sanity if anything!

But I def didn't try to give her a routine, partly because I didn't really have a clue about babies to start with haha, and also partly because I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could :oops:

:hug: :hug:

Asher settled into a routine at near 5 months. Before that it was anyone's guess when he would feed, sleep, etc. but after he was like clockwork! I didn't do anything differently, he just did it himself,

K.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back