When do they cut the cord at your hospital?

BunnyN

Reaction score
I want to wait for the cord to stop pulsating after it is cut. I also want skin to skin contact after the birth and for the baby not to be taken away from me for any tests or checks for the first half hour or so at least (unless there is some problem that makes it necessary of course). Lots of hospitals are happy to do things like that these days but I haven't had the chance to ask about the specific policies at the hospital where I will be (I'm only 17 weeks so time for that yet). I'm just wondering what your experiences were of the policies at your hospital and how they were about it if you wanted something different from their norm.

Last edited:
This is what i asked for but being induced meant i couldn't have it. The hospital would have obliged otherwise. The offered for my oh to deliver baby in fact Xx

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

I wanted to do.it but circumstances meants i couldnt. I want to do it with the next one though

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

waiting for the cord to stop has become policy at my hospital/trust... I think where staff can do they generally work to your wishes... x

i wanted OH to cut the cord but circumstances didnt allow as they had to whip her away to do stuff as she had taken a while to come out but from what i remeber they cut the cord prety much straight away with the doc having to lean back to avoid being spurted with blood xx

Thanks ladies, it seems like it is becoming more common at hospitals these days.

This is what i asked for but being induced meant i couldn't have it. The hospital would have obliged otherwise. The offered for my oh to deliver baby in fact Xx

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

Do you know why they can't leave the cord to pulsate it you are induced?

As for my OH I'd think he'll be staying well away from the business end at the birth, he's not good with anything involving blood or anything else yucky, no cord cutting for him. I'll be happy if he can just hold my hand and make it through without fainting :).

My hospital makes you do skin to skin if there are no problems. As for cutting the cord both times my husband did it But I can't remember how long after but it was a while. the MWs are usually busy getting ready for the placenta delivery and that can take a while sometimes.

With may daughter I could not wait for a shower after I had passed the placenta. It was just something I needed to do so my husband stripped down and took over the skin to skin or as we call it Kangaroo Care/cuddle here in Australia. I can't wait to do it again. But geez that shower I had after she was born was like I had never showered before even though I had been in the shower a few mins before she was born. It was so relaxing and I felt so clean afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back