Cord Blood Donation

JensBump

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of research on cord blood donation and had originally thought that I would do it - after doing the research I have found that the blood they are taking is in fact the babies blood - it is a choice we all have to make ourselves but if anyone is interested I found this facebook page really helpful in locating some of the research.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/delayedcordclamping

Remember the cord has been your babies lifeline for 9 months and is still pushing blood into the baby even after birth - this helps the baby make the transition to breathing for itself. What I have stated in my plan is that once the cord has stopped pulsating, the placenta born and the baby is stable if there is any blood left it can be donated.

I have been thinking about this - not a lot yet I had to admit but it has crossed my mind. Not necessarily the donation bit, but not clamping and cutting the cord straight away. I think it will be easier on baby once it's born to leave it jail it has all the goodness from the cord/placenta.

I'm not going to have a plan as such, just a list of things I definately do/don't want. I can organise till my hearts content, but can't plan to save my life! Lol!

we definitely are going to leave the cord for as long as possible until it stops pulsing, up to 20% of the babies oxygenated blood can be in the placenta when they are first born, clamping the cord quickly is equivilant to clamping your hand over their mouth and forcing them to gasp for breath when its removed.

I had a bit of a haemorrage in my last pregnancy and so they were eager to get the placenta out, but they still left it a little while for the baby to breathe on his own before it was clamped.

a good compromise i think :)

I'd never even heard of this - makes interesting reading..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back