When Can I Give...

Magic Monkey said:
I give Petit Filous and Little Stars and I am proud of it!!!! TBH I get fed up with reading posts where people make out that they are some sort of poison.

Each to their own, we all make choices for our children and inevitably they are going to be different from one person to the next but its good that everyone knows what options are available to help them make choices for their children.

Charlie:-) said:
[quote="Magic Monkey":mpegb9zk]I give Petit Filous and Little Stars and I am proud of it!!!! TBH I get fed up with reading posts where people make out that they are some sort of poison.

Each to their own, we all make choices for our children and inevitably they are going to be different from one person to the next but its good that everyone knows what options are available to help them make choices for their children.[/quote:mpegb9zk]

Exactly, its great to be informed and have the option to then make a choice :D

We all do things differently, I guess you have to pick your battles! Dan has homemade foods, fish, lean meats and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. I very rarely allow him to have sweets, cakes, ice creams etc so I see a Petit Filous 3/4 times a week as his only 'treat'.

Magic Monkey, I have the opposite problem, not on here but with my family and friends. As I am quite controlling over Dan's diet and very very rarely let him have sweets or 'processed' foods, I am forever having to explain myself. I'm made to feel like a wicked meany mother! :lol:

Misslarue said:
I have the opposite problem, not on here but with my family and friends. As I am quite controlling over Dan's diet and very very rarely let him have sweets or 'processed' foods, I am forever having to explain myself. I'm made to feel like a wicked meany mother! :lol:

Me too. My MIL constantly offers stuff that I never give along with a justification of why LO needs it, eg. needs sugar for energy, etc. Instead of water she should drink squash or fruit tea with sugar, instead of bread -cake, crackers - biscuits... and the list goes on. Fortunately OH is also on my side so can tell her more directly than me to stop.
Sometimes it works because last time he was there she asked if she was 'allowed' to give her some pasta! I didn't make the situation worse by saying 'is it brown or white?' :wink: because at least she was looking for an alternative.

But it is really hard. People often think you are depriving your child of love if you don't give them sugar.
I'm thinking of getting one of those signs they have a zoos saying please do not feed and attaching it to her t-shirt.

:rotfl: :rotfl: @ newmum. I want one of those signs!
I have the juice thing constantly, esp when people try and give him fruit shots(?) and I explain that he only drinks water or milk. They look at you like you're crazy! :lol:

Things is these days there are too many kids screaming blue murder in shops just for sweets and crisps. I've instructed OH that Angel will not have sweets bought for her. If she doesn't know what they are she'll not ask for them. I'm not gonna be stupidly strict but she can get her sugar from yogurts and cereal. Not pure sugar in wrappers. It'll stop me eating them too.

Anyway, anyone know about ready brek and when i can give her it?

I don't eat fish- when I give Evie fish could I buy fish fingers and take the fish out and cook it that way IYKWIM. I like fish fingers lol x

LisaJ1986 said:
Things is these days there are too many kids screaming blue murder in shops just for sweets and crisps. I've instructed OH that Angel will not have sweets bought for her. If she doesn't know what they are she'll not ask for them. I'm not gonna be stupidly strict but she can get her sugar from yogurts and cereal. Not pure sugar in wrappers. It'll stop me eating them too.

Anyway, anyone know about ready brek and when i can give her it?

Ready Brek is fine from 6 months and is great as it has no salt and no sugar, now if only my LO would eat it!

Jade&Evie said:
I don't eat fish- when I give Evie fish could I buy fish fingers and take the fish out and cook it that way IYKWIM. I like fish fingers lol x
You dont have to mess about with them you can give then as they are. Basically once at 6 months they can have everything except honey and nuts and cows milk is limited to cereals and cooking till 12 months.

i didnt give any gluten or dairy until after 6 months. x

Lil miss has everything except honey...

She loves eggs (I can't stand them, but Tia, Lil miss and DH love them :puke: )... We went out for my dads 65th birthday to an Indian restaurant and despite having brought with me a nutritious home made meal... lil miss preferred my vegetable masala. I am pretty open to letting lil miss try everything we eat....Although we avoid anything banana based because it makes lil miss constipated :(

The petit filiou argument...I never give lil miss anything as nasty as that....

Its too cold apparently... Lil miss won't touch it with a barge pole and I don't think they microwave too well :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Squiglet said:
Lil miss has everything except honey...

She loves eggs (I can't stand them, but Tia, Lil miss and DH love them :puke: )... We went out for my dads 65th birthday to an Indian restaurant and despite having brought with me a nutritious home made meal... lil miss preferred my vegetable masala. I am pretty open to letting lil miss try everything we eat....Although we avoid anything banana based because it makes lil miss constipated :(

The petit filiou argument...I never give lil miss anything as nasty as that....

Its too cold apparently... Lil miss won't touch it with a barge pole and I don't think they microwave too well :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

How funny lil miss preferring your curry!!! It makes me laugh when I talk to the in laws about weaning and what Maia will be eating they are dead against us giving her curry, my niece loves it and so do we so I cant see a problem with it. I ask them what they think babies in India eat :D

Cally's having curry this week, and I can't wait :)

I tried Luke with a Little Stars last week and he didn't like it. Maybe wasn't in the mood though so might try another after he has finished his dinner. He's just eating Little Fishies and chips (100% potato and sunflower oil). Seems to be liking that :cheer:

I went to clinic today and asked them about what Evie can and can't have an apparantly I can't give her scrambled egg til she's 8 months :think: :think: :think: I wonder if that if you start weaning at 6 months whereas I started Evie at 4?

beanie, any chance of your curry recipe hun? I'd like to cook Dan one :D

yup, I'll get it for you when the munchkins are in bed (don't think daddy can survive too long on his own)

I think alice was eating scrambled egg around 7 months and i started about 6 months. TBH from about 8 months i think we where giving her what ever we where eating. If we had started earlier i would have given it to her earlier.

In fact she had scrambled egg for dinner tonight. she had been munching all day long and wasn't that hungry. although saying that, she ended up eating a whole muller corner to herself (i forgot to buy her yogs so she is eating mine - discovered this week she prefers them to the piddly little ones we buy her! she likes dipping the spoon in the yog and then in the fruit puree or chocolate bits! strange girl :rotfl: ).

i was told at 6 months the only things to avoid was the same kinda thing that you where told to when pg - peanuts, moldy cheese, that sort of thing. Oh and uncooked honey.

I personally tend not to stress too much about salt levels, sugar levels etc... as long as she doesn't live on high level food all week, whats the odd high level meal going to hurt (if you catch my drift). and TBH the amount with salt she has compared to veg or potatoes or pasta etc... she has, makes it even less. But then thats me.

i can remember alice's first taste of curry! she adored it!! She does like the odd one now.

Jade&Evie said:
I went to clinic today and asked them about what Evie can and can't have an apparantly I can't give her scrambled egg til she's 8 months :think: :think: :think: I wonder if that if you start weaning at 6 months whereas I started Evie at 4?

I asked my HV about eggs and she said no runny eggs till 2 years but fully cooked eggs from 6 months, so if you were scrambling just make sure its cooked thoroughly.

Misslarue said:
beanie, any chance of your curry recipe hun? I'd like to cook Dan one :D[/quote

right this is my version of a rogan josh (it has been changed as I lost the original recipe ages ago so just put together what I could remember) feel free to put more/less/different ingredients in to suit.

I finely chop 1 large onion and fry in some oil with 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a teaspoon of grated ginger (I cheat and use the stuff in jars usually, unless we have guests). Whilst this is frying in a pan I roast 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds and the same of coriander seeds until I can smell them, then grind this up. When the onion is translucent I put in chopped chicken and when this is browned on outside I add the cumin and coriander along with one teaspoon of tumeric, garam masala, paprika and chilli. I cook this for a few mins and add 2 cans of chopped tomatoes with a generous blob of tomato puree. I leave this to cook for a while, whilst cooking the rice. Just before I am ready to serve I add about 6 tablespoons of natural youghurt.

When I am cooking this for us, I only put half a teaspoon of chili powder in (we have the extra hot stuff), then remove a portion for Seren into a different pan. I can then make mine and OH's hotter. I add yoghurt to them both. You can use fresh chilis if you prefer, put chopped peppers in too, and add freshly chopped coriander right at the end. I also like to make this the day after we have had a roast chicken as I can just use the left over meat from that but you can use fresh chicken or any other meat (lamb is lovely with this).

I hope this is ok :pray: , I found it hard to write it down, so much easier whn I have a pan in front of me and I just chuck it all in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back