When Can I Give...

Jade&Evie

Reaction score
Scrabled Egg?
Wheatabix?
Fromage Frais?... Dare I say It.... Petit Filous :shhh:
Pasta?

I'll probably think of some more in a bit too :lol:

James had fromage frais (and the other one!) from about 5 months. He LOVES it!

Weetabix from about 5/6 months but i mix it with his baby milk not cows milk and a bit of banana to sweeten it and he loves this too!

Scrambled egg..tried him at 6 months but its the ONE thing he doesnt like!

Pasta - you can buy baby pasta from the supermarket and i think it says from 6 months but im not sure...

(P.S. Im sorry for the missed calls - i promise im not stalking you!! lol James loves playing with my phone and somehow had managed to add you to my favourites and it always goes to the favourite screen so keeps calling you!! I have now removed you from the list so you wont get a million calls a day!)

Lily had all of that from about 5 months. She has oatibix instead of wetabix with normal milk now (formula until 8months) and a petit filou all mixed together to sweeten it :D

Scrambled egg doesnt go down to well here either :lol: I think its the texture :lol:

Jen&James said:
(P.S. Im sorry for the missed calls - i promise im not stalking you!! lol James loves playing with my phone and somehow had managed to add you to my favourites and it always goes to the favourite screen so keeps calling you!! I have now removed you from the list so you wont get a million calls a day!)

:lol: I did wonder..... :rotfl:

I gave little stars yogs from 4 months, weetabix frp, 6 months, I've not given harry egg yet or pasta, I think pasta is recommended from 7months (definately after 6months anyway as it contains gluten)

Angel's had Petit Filous for about a month. It says on the packet 4-6 months so i gave it to her anyway. I can't shovel it in fast enough!

What about Ready Brek? I asked HV a month ago and they said not to give her it just yet, but didn't tell me when i could.

Pasta is supposed to be from 6 months due to gluten. Dairy products also from 6 months. Same with egg. Until then its advised to feed fruit and veg purees etc. IIRC its due to allergy and intolerance.

I have a Do's and Dont's list for weaning and it says

Don't: Feed you baby eggs, wheat based foods that contain gluten (like bread or breakfast cereals), fish, shellfish, liver, citrus fruits or soft unpasteurised cheese before he or she is six months old. Ask yout Health Visitor for advice.

Its also advised because of the potential allergy or intolerance to introduce these foods one at a time.

Thats Dep of Health and WHO advice.

May I ask why so keen to give petit filous? Maybe try natural yogurt first with pureed fruit mixed in?

I'd check the salt/sodium content in Weetabix. I can't recall if its something to be aware of or not in weaning.

I've tried fromage frais with fruit puree and not so keen, unless it's just my yogurt she has. Plus it was on offer in Asda at the time so was cheap.

My HV never told me not to give yogurt, in fact she encouraged me and Angel was 18 weeks at the time. She loves it.

:oops: According to the department of health Evie should be all but dead now-she is a formula fed baby who was weaned at 4 months :eek: And I don't sterilise her dummies anymore... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: She's only a couple of weeks off 6 months now and she much prefers finger foods to purees already :D

TBH it's cheaper (and easier) to buy petit filous than natural yogurt and fresh fruit :doh:

Jade&Evie said:
:oops: According to the department of health Evie should be all but dead now-she is a formula fed baby who was weaned at 4 months :eek: And I don't sterilise her dummies anymore... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: She's only a couple of weeks off 6 months now and she much prefers finger foods to purees already :D

TBH it's cheaper (and easier) to buy petit filous than natural yogurt and fresh fruit :doh:

HEHE!

Yeah James should be constantly ill too but as it happens he is a picture of health.

As for the weetabix thing. There is a bit of salt in them but minimal and as he doesnt have salt in any other part of his diet i took a wider look at it and felt that the benefits he was getting from the fibre etc in them far outweighed the negative of a tiny bit of salt.
Its a healthy breakfast AND it fills him up which is no mean feat for my child! lol

I cant afford to do natural yogourt and fruit purees, I wish I could but Petit Filous are forever on offer - I can mix them in with numerous things - and she cant get enough of them.

Like Jen said Lilys Oatibix doesnt half fill her up ready for the day! My HV said it was a perfect breakfast for her too :?

Whats wrong with Petit Filous? :? Ellies had them since about 5months & as far as i'm aware they are fine... Weetabix & cows milk since 6 months, the guideline for babies is up to 1g of salt per day therefore if given with a balanced diet are fine. Scrambled egg i'd also say 6months although i've not tried her with it yet. :)

Dunno if the helps: Salt Advice.

They have a high sugar content. Dan loves them though. But I limit him to one every other day or he would eat them all day long!

What is the sugar content of Petits Filous?
Petits Filous contains 12.4g total sugar per 100g (7.4g per 60g pot). Some of this sugar is naturally occurring milk sugar (lactose) and approximately 6g of added sugar per 60g pot (9.6g per 100g).

Misslarue said:
They have a high sugar content. Dan loves them though. But I limit him to one every other day or he would eat them all day long!

Petits Filous contains 12.4g total sugar per 100g (7.4g per 60g pot). Some of this sugar is naturally occurring milk sugar (lactose) and approximately 6g of added sugar per 60g pot (9.6g per 100g).

Doesnt fruit contain alot of sugar though too? It confuses me tbh!
I thought that petit felous were ok as it says on the packaging from 4 months or weaning age... Surely one yog every couple of days cant do them that much harm :?

happy_chick said:
Misslarue said:

I thought that petit felous were ok as it says on the packaging from 4 months or weaning age... Surely one yog every couple of days cant do them that much harm :?

It's all confusing me too hun! I'm always trying to understand the labels on everything! :lol:

Fruit has fructose, the natural fruit sugar where as I think the added 6g of sugar in a Petits Filous would be refined white sugar :think: Thats 10% of that little pot (not including any natural sugars) it really is a lot when you think of it like that! Even so, I still give Dan one every other day. He loves them, he has a healthy balanced diet and I think all things in moderation!
I've tried those stars which have less sugar but he wasn't keen.

My mate told me about Sainsbury's kids fromage frais, they contain no sugar and are sweetened with grape juice. I keep meaning to give them a try!

natural yoghurt is well cheap - 50p for 500g in ASDA. I just bung raisons in it for Seren,and honey but you can't have honey before 1 year. If she wants a fruit yoghurt I just buy normal yoghurts, 23p. I am a cheapskate.

Misslarue said:
happy_chick said:
Misslarue said:

It's all confusing me too hun! I'm always trying to understand the labels on everything! :lol:

Fruit has fructose, the natural fruit sugar where as I think the added 6g of sugar in a Petits Filous would be refined white sugar :think: Thats 10% of that little pot (not including any natural sugars) it really is a lot when you think of it like that! Even so, I still give Dan one every other day. He loves them, he has a healthy balanced diet and I think all things in moderation!
I've tried those stars which have less sugar but he wasn't keen.

My mate told me about Sainsbury's kids fromage frais, they contain no sugar and are sweetened with grape juice. I keep meaning to give them a try!

Youre right about the sugar but also Petit Filous have so many other ingredients that arent 100% natural

Strawberry:
Fromage Frais, Sugar, Water, Strawberry Purée From Concentrate (5%), Fructose, Concentrated Aronia Juice, Calcium Citrate, Calcium Phosphate, Modified Maize Starch, Stabilisers: Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum; Flavourings, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Vitamin D.

Raspberry:
Fromage Frais, Sugar, Water, Raspberry Purée From Concentrate (5%), Fructose, Calcium Citrate, Calcium Phosphate, Concentrated Elderberry Juice, Concentrated Aronia Juice, Modified Maize Starch, Stabilisers: Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum; Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Flavourings, Vitamin D.

Unlike Muller Little Stars are 100% natural ingredients

Ingredients:
Fromage Frais, Water, Sugar, Peach Puree (5%), Corn Flour, Natural Flavourings.
Like Beanie said nat yog is so much cheaper and healthier for your LO, all you need to do is add whatever fruit puree flavour your LO likes.

As for weetabix like others have said you can give at 6 months. My HV came round today to give me a talk on weaning and she basically said that LO can have almost everything once at 6 months except honey & nuts. Cows milk is limited to cereals till 12 months old.

I give Petit Filous and Little Stars and I am proud of it!!!! TBH I get fed up with reading posts where people make out that they are some sort of poison. I don't feed her them with every meal and one a day is fine in my opinion. Having said that I do also have the Sainsburys ones as they don't have any sugar in them.

When i buy the petit filous i give her one every day, which takes me til the day before i next go shopping so she'll have banana or papaya. I was never told not to so she has them. Only when they're on offer but she'll have them daily til i run out.

Magic Monkey said:
I give Petit Filous and Little Stars and I am proud of it!!!! TBH I get fed up with reading posts where people make out that they are some sort of poison.

i don't think anyone has actually said that :wink: it has just been pointed out (in this thread, and by me previously) that there are healthier and cheaper alternatives to petit filous. that's all. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back