What's your personal opinion on when to help baby along??

lrb

Reaction score
When babies ready she will come I know but I would quite like to try all the old wives tales! Very uncomfortable and just want her out. But would like your opinions as to when you think this should take place, as in from 37 weeks it's fine to try whatever or do you think after 40 or not at all? Would be nice to hear what everyone thinks.
Thanks xx

Personally I dont see any harm in getting ready for labour by taking eveing primrose oil , drinking rlt and bouncing on a ball . In the long run all of that will make your labour easier .
As for helping things along with things like castor oil and stuff like that I wouldnt . im inclined to think baby will come out when ready . I know the ;ast few weeks are miserable . I went five days over with Lily and I was so grumpy but I'd be nervous about upsetting baby ny forcing things along iykwim ?

I would say from 37 weeks. My SIL nearly wet I to labour at 36+2 and they were giving her all sorts of medication I strengthen babies lungs etc. at 37 weeks they should have no problems. Xx

I'm almost 37 weeks so think give or take a day or two shouldnt make much difference, but obviously don't wanna do anything to harm baby but feeling so sick today I think the hypermesis is back so just feel so miserable! Dtd yday, will again today, nipple stimulation yday and today, bouncing on ball a bit but should b doing more but it's hurting the SPD. Gonna have a hot curry tonight and try get some rlt. Been to most shops round here and no where here sells it so may have to buy online..
The only thing I'm worried about it starting things off then being turned away at hospital or them trying to stop it, u know they shouldn't now but i don't know if the couple of days under 37 weeks that I am mean abything to them? And don't wanna b frowned apon for starting things off-well trying! X

Don't think I'd wanna do castor oil unless I was over due. As meconium is found in amniotic fluid with taking castor oil but it's also more common to find it when your over due anyway so taking it when over due doesn't seem so bad?

I'd be nervous abut taking it personally but I have heard of mw actually advising it to overdue women :O So its hard to know what to do .

i started trying to help things along from 37 weeks as baby classed as full term then :) x

yeah things like rlt and epo and bounching on the ball arent gonna send u into labour today or tmrw they just helphing get things ready so dont think there anything wrong with that, wouldnt do the castor oil my self untill over due not even sure if i will then or not either

try a bit of awalk if you can too, i suffer spd aswell so i know walking isnt good but i went out on sunday was in a lot of pain to start with then it eased off and at app on the tuesday and engaged loads more than the last ap so pretty sure it was the walk that done it

Ya know what really helped me ? When I was overdue and feeling awful I had lovely hot baths and put clary sage oil and lavender oil in . Not sure if it helped things happen but it defo relaxed and eased aches and pains and I was in labour by that night ?

I was just about to make a post about clary sage . I have been advised by my hypnobirthing teacher/midwife to try it in my bath or add it to something like baby oil . I have read successful and unsuccessful story's about it but think I'm going to give it a shot . I have been feeling a bit crampy and would love it to turn into something . 38+2 xxxxx

I feel like I've already tried everything!! My mum and DH's mum both went 2 weeks overdue so I've been trying very hard to move things along, although nothing too intrusive. RLT capsules from 33 weeks I think, EPO orally from 34 and inserting from 35 weeks! Sex every few days, pineapple when I can be bothered (not trying too hard with that one, could never eat the 7 necessary pineapples in one sitting lol), nipple stimulation for the past week, with a pump a few times too, and ordered a pretty hot curry a few days ago but could eat more than a few bites! Can't handle food so spicy lol!

Been thinking about castor oil, but not serious about that yet.

I think I got my first braxton hicks with the nipple stimulation, and midwife checked my cervix just over a week ago and said it was soft. Nothing else has had any affect whatsoever though!

Pretty sick of googling the old wives tales just to see on every suggestion about 50 comments of "don't be stupid, baby will come when it's ready" right underneath! I can try and prepare as much as I want! I'm not forcing baby out with a self-performed c-section, just encouraging! Lol xx

And what actually is clary sage? I'll try anything lol

evening primrose oil.
its supposed to help soften the cervix but its not proven to do anything specific i think tho it does have hormone regulating properties and its worth a try lol. i think trying pretty much anything is ok after 37 weeks.

clary sage is an aromatherapy oil, u can put it in your bath or put some in your bio oil, baby oil etc and rub into bump. should be able to get it from most health shops

Last edited:
Is that doing the same sort of thing as rlt? I know that takes a little bit to start going so is evening Primrose oil quicker? Thanks x

RLT is to strengthen your uterus so that the 2nd stage of labour is shorter, epo is to help cervix soften and get it nice and ready to let LO out, possibly even start labour a lil early but only when its ready to go, the clary sage oil is pretty much the same as the epo but supposedly works better at bringing on actual labour

Hi Ladies! As already mentioned the EPO and RLT or capsules... I took the RLT at 32weeks 1 cup a day then each week increasing by a cup then at 36weeks i was taking 6capsules a day.

I started the EPO at 38weeks it is supposed to help your cervix but only if you are favourible already! i must of been as i went into long labour at 38+5 and delivered at 39+1

Just tpo let you know my mum and 2 sisters both went the full 2weeks over with every child and i was the first to have an early labour... Issac was and is perfect :-D he was well worth the pain i went through!

I wish you all speedy labours! Good Luck Ladies !!! xx

The only one I did was climbing stairs. There's a out door set of steps in our town (the hundred steps) - although first half his now a ramp cod they've kinda worn away, and it's pretty steep. The older generation swears by them geyser. A friend of mine did then a couple of times when slightly over and her daughter arrived the next day.

I did them after they said I was in early labour that could last days, we went round the block and up them 3 times. And she arrived just a few hours later. Xxx

Come 37 weeks I'll be on a mission to Free the Weybridge One. Not going to use rlt after reading on here it's not recommended if there's female cancer history in the family but plenty of sex, ball bouncing, epo capsules orally and will see if I can reach my foof far enough not for it to pop back out with a cough lol. Probably won't try the hot curry unless I need to thanks to the indigestion, don't fancy eating it twice eeeewwww xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back