Opinions sought - babies and cinema...

Nic36

Reaction score
Just wanted a few opinions on this to see if am way off the Mark...
In our town there is a cinema that once a week has a lunchtime showing where mums can take their babies along to the cinema... Obviously they are encouraged to step outside if there is too much crying / disturbance, but people are warned that there will naturally be some disturbance! I think it's a great idea and I will be keen to take my LO along as soon as we are able.
They show all sorts of films - from U to 18s and when I mentioned to a friend today that I was keen to go along with LO she was quite shocked that I would even consider taking my baby to a film that wasn't a U. I felt like a bad mother already. She said she wouldn't watch stand up comedy at home either if it had bad language in. I felt really bad as it is not something I had thought about protecting my baby from. It is very rare that either me or hubby swear ourselves, but I wouldn't have thought that the brain of a newborn would have developed enough to differentiate between good and bad words and really didn't think I would need to protect her from things on TV at such a young age. Obviously when she's a bit older I would do things differently.
Would be keen to hear your opinions please ladies...! Thanks! :)

I think your friend might be being a bit oversensitive. I will certainly take my LO to the baby screenings at our cinema (like you I think they are a great idea). You will soon know when your baby starts to pick up on language and try to repeat words and at that point you might think again.

Kids do obviously pick up bad words but it's how you explain to them the words they are allowed to use and those they aren't that counts.

I think your friend is going to have a heart attack when her kids bring home words from school and is setting herself up for a lot of stress. We can wrap our kids up in cotton wool only for a short time, once they venture out into the world without us it's how open and honest we are with them that's going to make a difference.

I dont think LO's even gonna know what film it is - it could be a U, could be an 18, im sure they'll act the same.

I'm desperate to find cinemas here for this. I was wondering about the noise, on their wee ears?? Not sure though, would give it a try.

:)

I dont think LO's even gonna know what film it is - it could be a U, could be an 18, im sure they'll act the same.

I'm desperate to find cinemas here for this. I was wondering about the noise, on their wee ears?? Not sure though, would give it a try.

:)

You could put a breast pad over each ear under a hat :)

I thinkmyour friend is a bit OTT - they will hear swearing at school but they should know not to repeat what they hear. I dont think a newborn is going to know what swear words are! x

There are worse things than a few swear words - only thing I would avoid would be horror movies - I know a child that watched one from the livingroom door without her parents knowing and she still has issues from it

There are worse things than a few swear words - only thing I would avoid would be horror movies - I know a child that watched one from the livingroom door without her parents knowing and she still has issues from it

Harry Potter gave my nephew really bad nightmares when he was 3, he saw ghosts everywhere bless him and wouldn't sleep on his own. Some kids are more sensitive than others definitely xxxxxx

I am not so sure if I would go with a newborn or a small chid on sth like that, but the language is not my concern, the million of germs flying arsound sitting for like 2 h in a closed room I think s too risky for a young baby. But then I am a doctor so I am probably overprotected on that subject.

I've taken Matthew quite a few times! It's dark in there so he just falls asleep lol
XxX

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

I think if the child is a baby, no harm done. I wouldn't worry about sitting in my living room feeding baby if I was watching a film at home. Wouldn't agree with taking a toddler though.xx

Friend of mine was telling me about this - she said it was absolutely brilliant and a great way of making you feel 'normal' again! She also said that the sound is turned down lower than normal so it shouldn't be too loud for the babies... I will definitely be going!

Thanks everyone for your opinions...! Made me feel much better! X

I'd agree - your friend is over reacting a bit - I'd def take a baby. Yes maybe have a re-think when it's a child old enough to see/listen to (don't wanna put understand there - but likes of the nightmare stuff) the film - but a LO's not gonna know that.

When I was at school I went home and asked my mum what F**k meant, kids are gonna hear stuff - it's how you handle it that matters.

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back