tinkerbell*

Reaction score
hey girls!
i was wondering what is the "best" or highly recomened baby forumla... out of:
- Cow and Gate
- SMA
- Aptimil
- Farleys

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

does anyone use Farleys? this one seems to be a good £4 cheaper then the other brands? your advice and opinions would be really REALLY helpful ...

Thank you x x x

I think this is an "each to their own" kinda question really - check the ingredients if this is a concern to you, Hipp Organic is one of the only one without fish oils etc in it, depends on what you want need. A lot of my friends were either on SMA or Cow & Gate - I breastfed so little knowledge of the baby ones, I am using SMA Progress now.

I bottlefed because the hospital recommended it as my milk didn't come through. They suggested either SMA or cow & gate. I have ended up using SMA and haven't had any problems however others have said that it is quite rich for them so can cause a bit of possetting. Hope this helps a little bit.

I have been using SMA Gold. I asked the HV today during Daniels 2 month check if any other brand was better. She said no and that SMA Gold was just as good as all the others and to stick with it if it agrees with him.

I have heard that sometimes formulas can make babies a bit constipated, SMA being one of them, but so far I have had no problems with it. I think it's just trial and error really :D

I used Cow & Gate with Nathan and never had any problems with it. If I can't breastfeed this time then I will be trying Cow & Gate first with this baby because it was good for Nathan.

It depends on your baby though, some brands agree with baby more than others so best to just try them until you find one that your baby is ok with :)

Every baby is different but even though i used cow and gate with my son im not going to use it this time as he never took well to it. After looking into formulas im going to use Aptimal (thats if i dont breastfeed). It is supposed to be the closest to breast milk but who knows??

Good luck deciding.

Oh, i would say though that id choose a brand thats easy to get though in supermarkets etc. :D

im breastfeedng and using farleys.. i was using hipp organic but the scoop is bigger than the other formulas and was working out more expensive.. nothing wrong with farleys.. they all have the same thing in them.. so its up to you..if you can try and breastfeed though.. it is hard but even if you give your baby a few mouthfulls of colostrum you are giving them anti-bodies.. breastfeeding is amazing and its fantastic to see your baby thriving on you..

i didnt start formula til melissa was 6 months old so im talkin mostly the follow-on milk not the first milk- but my favourite was hipp organic. i tried sma, cow&gate, aptamil and farleys too but hipp was the best. hipp hipp hooray for hipp LOL! :lol:

i use farleys i love it and thomas seems ok on it aswell not sick and poops well :)
its changing soon to heinz nurture
manda xx

i use sma gold- no probs and we give evie a few ozs of cooled boiled water so she doesn't get constipated

lisa , the scoop is bigger on hipp cos the powder is fluffier ( is that a word ) i noticed that i cant get as much hipp in my powder storage as i can aptamil !

were using hipp organic ,leland loves it and his thriving :D

G3M said:
lisa , the scoop is bigger on hipp cos the powder is fluffier ( is that a word ) i noticed that i cant get as much hipp in my powder storage as i can aptamil !

were using hipp organic ,leland loves it and his thriving :D

I was told that all the scoops are 1oz scoops so that the making up instructions are always the same.

We used SMA gold, the cow and gate and are now back on SMA and she is much happier on it. We changed to begin with because she was constipated, but cow and gate gave her really runny poos! So back to SMA, the hv told us that giving her a couple of cartons a day would stop her getting constipated and 3 wks on she is fine.

I used Cow & Gate, then Cow & Gate Plus. Tyler was fine with it. It was nearly 6 years ago though :shock:

So, my opinion may be oudated :rotfl:

I use aptamil when I go onto formula because it's apparently the closest to breastmilk.

Through research into the content of breast milk, we have been able to learn about the functional benefits of nutrients such as LCPs, Nucleotides and Prebiotics. These all have an important role to play in your baby's first few months of life, and perhaps even into adulthood, contributing to your baby's general wellbeing as well as healthy development.

LCPs
LCPs stands for Long Chain Polyunsaturated fatty acids. These are important in the development of your baby's brain, eyes and nervous system. During pregnancy, your baby receives LCPs through your placenta. You can boost your levels by eating the right types of food. Once born, your body ensures a healthy supply is included in your milk. The two main LCPs found in breast milk are known as AA and DHA.

Nucleotides
Nucleotides are the building blocks for all cells in the body, including the immune system. The immune system is very complex and effective at protecting the body (e.g. against an infection), and research has shown that nucleotides support the activity of certain cells within the immune system.

Prebiotics
Prebiotics are special nutrients which also help to protect your baby by supporting their natural defences. This is achieved by increasing the levels of friendly bacteria and decreasing the levels of potentially pathogenic bacteria within the gut. Aptamil have been researching prebiotics for many years and are continuing to explore what other potential benefits they may confer.

The protective role of prebiotics
The most common place for bacteria and viruses to enter our system is via the gut. Friendly bacteria, such as bifidobacteria, exist there naturally and can fight off the potentially harmful varieties. Prebiotics are food for the friendly bacteria, encouraging them to grow and therefore supporting your baby's natural defences.

A daily intake of prebiotics is also good for your baby's digestion. This has the added benefit of making your baby's stools softer and easier to pass.

But they all have to pass the same regulations etc, so I would go for the one that suits you best. Aptamil can be a right pain cos they don't sell it everywhere, eg, if you're running out, the local corner shop is unlikely to have it, but they will have SMA probably. It's also quite expensive.

I'm breastfeeding but also have to give a top-up of formula. We're using Cow & Gate and baby's fine (very occasionally sick). It was recommended by the baby's doctor at hospital but he said that they were all pretty much the same...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back