What would you do?

frankie247

Reaction score
A week into my brand new job I discovered I was pregnant. I got through the training etc but the past week or so I've been really suffering with sickness. I've had 2 full days off including today, I left at lunchtime yesterday and mid morning on another day.

Today the manager asked if I just wanted to give up the job? If I don't then tomorrow I have to go in and state my case as to why they should keep me on, and I would have to roll up my sleeves because I'm not allowed to be sick anymore!

He asked if I would be better in a weeks time? I said how could I possibly know and typically I'll suffer until about 12 weeks.

Anyway, the job is making me miserable and stressed, I don't think it was a very nice thing to say to me! We can cope without the money, I think I'll be happier if I don't have to work there anymore!

Last edited:
As far as I know they can't disimiss you dues to a pregnancy relaed illness.... I had to get signed off sick for 2 weeks solid due to MS. Don't let them kick you out, fight them all the way hun!

xx

Yeah they know I'm pregnant, I told them on Monday because of the sickness. I thought they would be more understanding if they knew there was a genuine reason for absences.

Ditto what shadowwolf said - you cant be dismissed for being pregnant -thats prob why they are asking if you want to give the job up - easy for them - dont give them the satisfaction - we all have time during pregnancy when were not feeling 100% x

I'd also add to that and keep a diary just in case you have any further trouble

keep the job, don't let them win hun, this way your'll get better pay etc when your off, save all your holiday now to leave earlier so you don't have to put up with them for forever, and get a new job afterwards.

Hang in there

by law they cannot target you because you are pregnant. they cannot tell you that you cannot be sick anymore. if need be take it to the tribunal. go to citizens advice beaurea and see what they say.
if ur job persists in such a way, u can take them to court.
they are putting pressure and stress on you that can cause adverse affects.

Thanks ladies, I know the law surrounding the issues, but I was only on a temporary contract at the moment anyway. I decided to just leave, we don't need the money, and I feel so much happier now and can carry on with the morning sickness without the stress and hassle. Thank you for all your advice and opinions x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back