what would you call a 'low income'

titch

Reaction score
just wondering, cos all the info I can gather on various entitlements and tax credits you either have to be unemployed or on a 'low income'

Ive done the entitled to checker and unless Ive done it wrong I think we're not entitled to anything, even though, because I can ony get part time hours thanks to funding cuts, I thought I would be classed as 'low income'. aparently not. Im not even earning enough to have to pay my student loan contributions.

Ive never claimed anything before so I dont really understand the system, Im starting to feel a little desparate after out council tax bill came through this week. My OH and I have both worked hard saved hard and bought our own house, now with the little one coming, and no sight of those hours I was promised from work (probably cos im pregnant!) I need some help.

So go on guys, take a guess. A 2 income household, what would you say is low enough to be able to get some kind of working tax credit....

my o/h works but I dont we only have an income of about 15k and that is classed as low, we like you have our own house so by the time all bills etc is payed with o/h wages we live on child tax credit, working tax credits and child benifit, i did look into working part time but it wouldnt be worth it to us as we would get more took off us then i would earn to wile the kids are little im just staying at home

yeah I work part time and it looks like we'd be better off once LO arrives if I just quit. I like my job tho :( but paying for childcare on top of everything seems impossible.

I don't know really its a tough one. Like you I have never claimed anything like this, and have a pretty good idea that our household income would be too high to claim anything. We will get child benefit, because everyone gets that but thats it. Did you qualify for £500 pregnancy grant? I guess low household income maybe anything below £18k, but like i say i haven't a clue to be honest and really don't want to upset or offend anyone xx

Oh Tiny, i've just seen your post, thats so unfair if thats the case, you want to work you love your job and yet because of this countries stupid system you might be better off not working, thats madness. I hope the new government reforms this system and makes it fairer for familys

i'm sure with working family tax credit the threshold is quite high something like u have 2 earn £50,000 between you for u not 2 get it. not sure what just tax credits is tho

Last edited:
i think a low income is if you earn under 10-12 grand a year.

the housing office basically told me i need to quit my job and go homeless before they will help rehouse me. :rofl: it's a joke!! i wasn't entitled to £500 grant because i am not claiming benefits for myself so i said, (at the time, as OH just got a job yay!) 'i thought ii it was if you or your OH was on benefits/low income and i'm on low income AND he claims JSA' so they replied. yeah but he's claiming JSA for himself not you, so i was like, how can he claim for me if i'm working?! and they went well yeah that's why :|:|:| so stupid!!!

Last edited:
its ridiculous, I tried for council tax benefit but we dont qualify cos were not claiming anything else :wall2:

Im trying to do this to get the £500 grant. Its not means tested, like council tax, you qualify by getting some kind of benefit. So how on earth do you tap into this system to start with?!

Thanks for all your replies, didnt mean to offend anyone talking about 'low income' I just meant what the government defines it as, theremust be some kind of threshold but they hold their cards very close to their chest!!! But on all the direct.gov websites it only ever says, youll qualify if youre on a low income. Well I consider our income low at the moment, certainly lower than its ever been, but its all a matter of perspective isnt it!!

Just gonna wait until my OH gets his P60 and fill out a tax credits application form and go from there. Hopefully if we can get working tax credits, then we can get council tax discount, then we can claim the £500 grant. It is INSANE how complicated this system is!!:wall2:

somebody told me that you should claim the £500 grant when babies born because by then we wud be claiming either tax credit or working family tax credit and our income would be lower then beacuse i will be on mat leave

Okay so I just found the income threshold for the higher rate of tax credits is £6,420 per annum. The 2nd rate is 50k. think we'llbe on the 2nd rate. Like I said, a matter of perspective!!

someone told me that too but aparently its only if youre getting the tax credit at the higher rate, not the standard tax credit most people get. :(

You can apply for the means-tested Sure Start maternity grant if:
  • You are pregnant and your baby is due within 11 weeks.
  • You gave birth less than three months ago.
  • You have adopted a child in the past three months who is younger than a year old.
  • You have obtained a parental order for a surrogate birth within the past three months.
And if you or your partner claims any of the benefits listed below:

• Child tax credit at a rate higher than the family element, which is the basic element paid to families responsible for one or more children.
  • Working tax credit, where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award.
  • Income-related employment and support allowance.
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance.
  • Income support.
  • Pension credit

I wouldnt just go off the entitlement calculators. Apply for everything and see what comes back :)

Its so unfair that you work work work and then get nothing in return - there should be so much more help for families :(

Its so unfair that you work work work and then get nothing in return - there should be so much more help for families :(

i know the feeling!
i've been working for the same company for two years now and i'm not even entitled to any maternity pay or allowence :wall2:

So go on guys, take a guess. A 2 income household, what would you say is low enough to be able to get some kind of working tax credit....

the cut off to get working tax credit is 17,500 and above
i had to ring them the other day, and they told me this.
we cant get working tax because we earn over the amount, but i still get child tax.

Last edited:
racheldee that's appauling you don't get any mat leave i think you should read your employee handbook or something!! i'm sure if you've worked at a company for at least 12 months you are entitled to mat leave and pay! hmmm.

see tiny, my OH WAS on income based job seekers allowance but because i'm not on a benefit i can't get it! they said apply after baby is born with tax credits so i should be doing this.

it's so fucking annoying how no one helps, and how you don't get anything unless you ask. that's why i suggest to everyone go to CAB they actually tell you straight there and try to help, unlike our government! lets hope a tory/lib dem government will help!

Last edited:
racheldee that's appauling you don't get any mat leave i think you should read your employee handbook or something!! i'm sure if you've worked at a company for at least 12 months you are entitled to mat leave and pay! hmmm.

apparently i don't earn enough weekly to be entitled to mat pay and jobcentre tell me the same thing about mat allowance :(

:O omg. how many hours you do a week? how you gonna cope finacially during your time off work with baby then? you gonna go back to that job? i've just applied for mat allowance and do 20 hours a weeks, hope i get that grrr! xx

oh you will don't worry!
i worked 5 hours a week because of work cut backs also thats why my pay got cut too so i only earn £25.30 a week and you need to earn at least £95 a week at my work to be entitled and £30 a week at the jobcentre
so because of a measly £4.70 i won't get mat allowance :(
i'm going on income support and hopefully i'll do okay on that and i'll be entitled to £500 sure start grant so i'll put that away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back