Can a homeowner claim income support?

Froslass

Reaction score
Wondering this because our situation at the moment is in a bit of a mess!

If OH owned a flat, and we aere to live there as a family, would i still be able to claim income support? I know we'd be very lucky to own our own property, but we dont have a greta income with OH still being at uni and me being out of work at the moment..OH works 10 hours a week and thats about it - worried about hte whole situation! I plan on going back to work and uni part time after the baby is born, but that may no be for a year or so, I don't know x

Is there anyone here a homeowner and gets income support/ tax credits?x

we own our home and we are on income support but i dont know how this works if your partner works, you wont get your mortgage paid either all you get is the interest only paid based on the bank of england rate so you will have to make up the rest they wont pay nothing off the capital or anything above the bank of england interest rate this also takes a while to get sorted i think it took us 8 weeks

Thanks midnight :)

If we're lucky, we won't have a mortgage...OH may have inherited a wee flat from his auntie, not worth selling it just now, so we thought we may as well live in it! They're just trying to finalize the details in her will, but she always said it would be left to him x

On the direct Gov website it said that only one person out of a couple can claim, and claim for the both of them, andi'm certain OH doesnt earn enough a month (£200) for us not to be eligible income wise..Just worried incase the flat being in his name would go against it...

I think if they dont count the home you live in as an asset though? I;m very confusd!

im not sure when it comes to that as you would need a property to live in wouldnt you and if they forced you to sell it then you would be homeless

Who can get Income Support

It's for people who all the following apply to:
  • are between age 16 and the age they can get Pension Credit
  • have a low income
  • work less than 16 hours a week
  • aren't in full-time study (but there are some exceptions)
  • don't get Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
  • don't have savings above £16,000
  • live in Great Britain
it just says savings and a home isnt classed as savings

yeah its confusing! We're lucky to get a wee flat, otherwise we'd be renting, and we def dont have any savings otherwise..certainly not over £16,000 lol x I think i'll makea wee appt with a benefits advisor and see what they say x thanks for your advice chick :) x

Try the entitled to website Hun. Could give u an idea. Actually backtrack that. It's USeLESs for students!
Yeah try a benefit advisor. Until u r 29 weeks pregnant, it would have to be jsa though. After 29 weeks YOU would claim income support, but as It would also be on his behalf they would want his details. Income support also takes the majority of student loans into account, though there are some exceptions x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back