What would u do????!

Sully2012

Reaction score
The story is I have polycystic kidneys, I'm 26 and otherwise fit and healthy. My booking in bp was 112/70 and now I'm 31 weeks pregnant it's gone up to 156/84. Last week I saw the consultant who mentioned giving me steroid injections to mature the baby's lungs and to induce me at 37/38 weeks due to risks to baby and i (she went through a list of stuff, worse being one of us could die which upset me). Yesterday I saw my midwife who signed me off work for a month due to blood pressure being High. Saw a different consultant this morning and she says they will just play it by ear and won't bother with injections as we have a good neo natal care unit if the worse happened and she arrived early. They telling me she will weigh between 5 and 6lb. After all they have told me and the fact my blood pressure staying high do u think I should push to be induced? So worried about it all :(

The only thing I would say hun is that my son was born at 36 weeks and was 5lb 5ozs. He was in SCBU for 5 days but that was due to not understanding how to suck so was fed by a tube. He is now a healthy 13 year old. I don't know what advise to give you hun sorry. I think it needs to be a joint you and consultant / mw decision to be honest. I didn't have steriod injections with Dylan by the way either. I don't think you need them at 37/38 weeks but who am I to say. I am having a c-section at 38 weeks because of health problems but am not having steriod injections although I am having growth scans to check the babies growth at 32 and 36 weeks. x

Personally I think I would push for the injection and to be induced. The injection def works my nephew was born at 28 weeks!!! And is now a strapping 6ft 18 year old and that's because of the injection.
They may have a good scbu dept but your baby still needs the best chances possible, also so do you.

You could ask for a third opinion as you have two very different ones?

Good luck x x x

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't think the injections were necessary at 37/38 weeks?? I had my twins at 37 weeks and there was never any mention of injections and they were absolutely fine x

37/38 weeks is 'full term' anyway the baby wouldn't be at much halm if you wanted to induce, then again the extra couple of weeks may not halm the baby if your blood pressure calms down. My dad was 6 week early before they did injections and stuff and he grew to be 6ft 2 and healthy so try not to stress whatever you do.
It really may be that they can closely monitor your BP and decide closer to the date what to do. I would book in to talk through it again and explain how worried you are. I had one consultant tell me because im big if they didnt induce at 38 week my baby would die. I complained and with the head consultant now he got told off a lot and im getting left to go to 40 weeks, he was wrong. So get more opinions xxx

37 weeks is classed as full term so im wondering if the doc mentioned injections incase u go earlier than the 37. Maybe it would be best to go get another opinion or even go and discuss it through with ur MW? After all worrying and stressing about it isnt going to help, hope all goes well for u an bubs xxx

Redbear that was an awful thing to say to u. My work colleague weighed 19 stone and was told she would have a huge baby and may not have a natural birth. She had a fine birth and baby weighed 7lb. I have an appt with a consultant next thurs and OH said he will come and we not leaving until they put our heads straight. X

I had the steroid injections as I had early labour symptoms at 31 weeks They said baby would be fine if delivered early in hospital but as early babies can come fast, it wouldn't be good to have baby in a car on the way etc so they offered injections to mature babies lungs. I don't know the ins and out of your situation so I can only recommend you listen to the professionals suggestions?

I would only think they would offer the injection if they were thinking you were going to end up having the baby soon. I.e. before 37 weeks.

If your BP is high then they should be monitoring you very closely for changes.

This kind of thing really bloody annoys me. How do they expect your bp to calm down when you don't know if you are coming or going. I had a consultant really mess with my stress levels at 15 weeks cos he was sticking his nose in where it wasn't wanted and ended up getting the head consultant who discharged me from his care last week.

Go with your instinct hun. Get a firm opinion and tell them that it's just plain confusing having 2 consultants who are meant to know the same stuff tell you different things.

Hope it settles down for you and you get a proper answer xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back