What to use to avoid stretch marks

poppypd

Reaction score
My bump is still non existent at the mo, but been using some bio oil as often as I remember (can't say the same about doing pelvic floors though!! - oops)

However its now running out and it's expensive, has anyone got any cheaper ideas to rub in to avoid stretch marks?

xx

I use palmers coco butter and so far so good but I have a couple of little tiny marks appearing on my sides now.

I use the palmers too have stretch marks but might be worse if I didn't use it

thanks ladies, I just found this info on another site, it might be hereditary so nothing will probably guarantee it!
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks are small, depressed streaks in the skin that appear most often on the abdomen in the later stages of pregnancy when the belly is rapidly expanding to accommodate a growing baby. Some women also get them on their buttocks, thighs, hips, and breasts.

Stretch marks are caused by changes in the elastic supportive tissue that lies just beneath the skin. They start out pink, reddish brown, purple, or dark brown, depending on your skin color. They later fade, although they never totally disappear.

How can I tell if I'll get them?
It's hard to predict. At least half of all pregnant women get stretch marks, but no one really knows why some women get them and others don't. Research suggests that genetics plays a role: If your mother or sister got stretch marks during pregnancy, you're more likely to.

Whether you'll get stretch marks also depends on how much and how quickly your skin has to expand during your pregnancy.

"The skin is very elastic, but the weight gain that comes with pregnancy can be pretty dramatic, and sometimes it's more than the skin can handle," says Alexa Boer Kimball, an assistant professor of dermatology at Harvard. For this reason, you're more likely to get stretch marks if:

• You gain a lot of weight rapidly.

• You're carrying multiples.

• You're carrying a big baby.

• You have excess amniotic fluid.

What can I do to prevent stretch marks?
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. Gaining no more than the recommended amount of weight — in most cases, 25 to 35 pounds — and gaining it slowly may help reduce your chances of getting stretch marks.

There's no proof that any of the creams, salves, and oils that claim to prevent stretch marks actually work. (Keeping your belly well moisturized as it grows may reduce itching, though.)

Do stretch marks ever go away?
The good news is that stretch marks usually become considerably less noticeable about six to 12 months after childbirth. The pigmentation fades and they generally become lighter than the surrounding skin (the color will vary depending on your skin color), but their texture will remain the same.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of them later?
You won't be able to banish them altogether, but if your stretch marks still bother you after your pregnancy, talk to a dermatologist about ways to minimize them. There are a variety of treatment options.

Topical medications such as tretinoin (Retin-A) and glycolic acid may help. (Note: Retin-A is not safe to use during pregnancy and there's no reliable information on the amount excreted in breast milk or its effect on a nursing infant, so it's best avoided while breastfeeding.)

There's some evidence that laser treatments can help restore the skin's elasticity and also change the pigmentation so the stretch marks better match the rest of your skin.

Be aware that treatment to improve the appearance of stretch marks is considered a cosmetic issue and the cost of dermatology appointments, medications, or procedures probably won't be covered by insurance.

Nothing I've tried in any of my pregnancies has ever worked, so this time I've decided to sod it and just save the money. ;-)

I think the likelihood of you getting stretchmarks completely depends upon your genes and skin type :/. I do have stretchmarks from teenage growing years but so far bump looks to be doing ok not to get any. My mum never got any so hopefully I'll follow in the same foot steps.

I have been using a combination of palmers coco butter and bio oil just incase though!

Too late for me. Sat and cried the other day when I saw a row of four little ones across my tummy. I guess as it's twinnies the skin has stretched a bit earlier than others so they've come early - gutted - it can only get worse now.

I do think it's just genetic, but any cream / oil will keep your skin hydrated so has to be a good thing. Not sure any one is better than another.

hey gals, i've had stretch marks since i was 14 (i was 15 stone and lost 4 n a half stone) so as far as i can remember them, they way i look at it is i'm carrying a new life inside me whats a few stretch marks between us and our partners it's an expected part of pregnancy and if it happens then it happens we're not going to stop it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back