What to expect?

SarahLouB

Reaction score
Hello! I've just moved back to the UK from Dubai and I'm 27 weeks. I have been seeing a doctor in Dubai up to now. I have an appointment with my mum's doctor on tuesday but I really don't know what to expect! What happens from now on? Do I have a check up every few weeks? And am I allowed to choose which hospital I go to because I'd like to go to a birthing centre rather than the main hospital (they are close together).

I feel so much safer now I'm in the UK!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk

You'll get a midwife, the doctors have nothing to do with it unless you get ill. You can choose a hospital or home birth. The midwife will set up your green notes and they'll have all the info about your pregnancy on it. Xx

Ok so when I go to the doctor on tuesday will she just take some notes and get a midwife to call me?
I would love to have a home birth if I could because my friend had one and she said it was the best decision she ever made. BUT I'm living at my mum's for now so I wouldn't be comfortable giving birth there.

They'll refer you to the mw I expect, maybe get you to book an appt with her. Every doctors seem to work differently tbh! Some mws are based at doctors and some at the hospital. They'll sort you out though. You'll have a busy time getting blood tests, midwife appts and booking antenatal appts :) xx

It does totally vary regarding who you see. My mw is at my drs surgery but a couple of the later appointments 32wks and 38wks) are with the drs at the surgery. This is standard for everyone.

I'm sure the dr will let you know. Regarding where you give birth, I was told so long as I was 'low risk' I could choose, home or birthing centre. But if its the birthing centre they will want to see me first to decide if I'm low risk, despite my notes stating this!

Yes Wss ^^ you can choose but if any complications your choices may get restricted. Mw appoints will be every few weeks now on and depending on previous notes will prob determine if ul need an Nhs scan for measurements and general screening etc. You are also supposed to have w.cough vacc and flu jabs w.cough not till 28 weeks and also a blood test then too x

Ull have a 28wk app hun then a 31wk and so on if its ur 1st baby :)
Theyll start mesuring bump and also probs want u to do some blood tests unless they can get results sent from dubai xxx

OOO.. they may also want to do an ultrasound hun! :)
Unless again u have all this handy from dubai xxx

I have my some notes from dubai but they don't seem to be very detailed. I guess I can tell them what I have had done and what I haven't had done? I had the glucose test done last week just before I left and the results said everything was fine but this isn't in my notes so I don't want them to insist I have it done again just because it's not on my notes

Have a detailed chat with them hun.
They may need it on their records u see. Or they may take ur word for it.

I dnt think they can obviously force u to take any test or re do tests. But itll obly be for the benefit and health of u and ur baby xxxx

I think the glucose test is optional anyway, they may offer it to u but u could decline-especially if u already know the results.
:) x

Tapatalking. X

They prolly take your bloods to check standard checks and your bloodgroup, they even do that if you book over from hospitals within the uk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back