What to do? Dairy free or not?

Gayle30

Reaction score
Daisy Grace is doing fabulous since she started on omeprazole. Shes taking 3x8oz bottles per day of nutramigen2 and eating all I offer solids wise I mean. We seen the paediatrician in May who weighed her and although she had only put on 400g in 8 weeks she had grown 8cm! Which puts her off the centile chart for height but at 17lbs9oz shes still on the 25th line. So all good and shes like a new baby no screaming during and whilst feeding. We have been having great fun!

However -due to the omeprazole working the consultant questioned if the diagnosis of CMPI was accurate and advised me to slowly introduce cows milk and dairy. So we are doing that and so far not too bad. Occasionally she has the tell tale rash but its very mild. But she has been having very stinky bums. Atleast 3 per day. Shes been a once a day girl from birth so this is a change. Could this be due to the dairy being re introduced? Her tummy isnt causing her any pain and she is not suffering at all from her reflux. Im happy to say thats under control with reflux meds.

What to do? She seems to blooming love weetabix with cows milk, loves cheese and its a lot easier to give her what we eat. Any advice be appreciated.
Xx
tapatalking

I would try small amounts every day I think and see how it goes and try to increase after she hits 12 m.
Amelie had 3 stinky bums every day for the past couple of months while it was once per day before.
More solids and teething can definitely so that it dosent have to be an allergy.

I've been giving her things with milk in each day for 2 weeks and in that time the stinky bums have increased and she still has the rash. I guess what im wondering is if shes not showing signs if being in pain from the cm will she be ok and just accept that she has these reactions? The bums could be teeth but shes already got some and this didnt happen when they all cut. She blooming loved her cheesy pasta at lunch! Lol. Xx

tapatalking

No I don't think so really. If she has a reaction proved to be from a cow milk allergy I would stop all together and try again much later.
Why don't they properly test her for that?

Maybe the stinky nappies are because she's happy to eat/drink more now the meds have sorted her tummy pain? More food may mean more poo? It's a tough one but i'd be inclined to still offer small amounts of dairy regularly if she's not showing any signs of pain from them? I hope she continues eating well for you, you have had it so tough hun x

yeah Freya has 3-4 stinky bums a day now too. She always used to be 1-2 a day. I thought it was just more solids = more poop!

she does puke sometimes after a fromage frais, but she loves them, and its only a little so I just put up with it. It doesnt seem to bother her at all.

x

No I don't think so really. If she has a reaction proved to be from a cow milk allergy I would stop all together and try again much later.
Why don't they properly test her for that?

They wont test here for the allergy. They simply go on symptoms and the rash is the decider. Although its very slight now and not like when I first gave her custard. Maybe if I keep giving her cm she will adjust? I have no idea. I just wish it would go away. It's not as clear cut as we first thought. The severe reflux is now managed but ive read that cmpi and reflux are often confused. I guess without actual test we wont know for sure! I guess as long as shes not in pain or refusing she should be ok? I cant get a hold of the dietician nor paediatrician to ask what to do. They kind of just left me on a limb and said try it. But they never really said what to do should the rash still be there. Aaaaah!

She defo has more poops cause of the solids but its more the consistently thats like water and is a symptom of cmpi. She had horrible ones after baby yoghurts but they arent as bad whe she has things with milk in like cheese or milk or butter. Maybe the yoghurt is not agreeing with her???

Whys this not easy? Im just so glad she eats everything in sight now! Xxx
tapatalking

Try an elimination test. Remove absolutely all dairy for a week and see if the poo and the rash disappear.
If it solves and ten while introducing again it reappears I would personally go dairy free until 12 m old and then try reintroducing again slowly.
This type of allergy is sth that they usually grow out of it but its still stressful for her organism if its a real allergy and there is no need to stress the whole business until a little later (other than convenience and I completely get that one)
Also what do you mean you can't get hold of her doctor???? I would be there banging at his door really. How hard it can be to advice you 5 min over the phone??????? Keep calling them, it's their job and they should help you out of that.

Thanks hope. Ive tried twice this week to get to speak to her and shes either on holiday or in clinic but will phone me when she can. Im still waiting. I also requested the omeprazole to be made into liquid form. It has to be specifically made up from her prescription.

I already have done total elimination as she has been dairy free from 6mth to now. No rash and no poops but she was just having the nutramigen milk (which is lactose and cmp free). So she wasnt having solids so less poop. Im just wondering if the likes of fromage frais is too much too quick? Xx

tapatalking

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back