• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is your maternity package like?

By the time all of my pretty much compulsory deductions that are added on to my bloody job are taken off my SMP there will be little to nothing left

Its such a backward system :wall2:

Seriously ladies,

I cannot believe how pregnant women are viewed in this country, if I wasn't so tired and hot I'd start a protest or at least write a letter to David Cameron. Maybe I'll do this tomorrow :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

This is when I wish I was employed not self employed, girls it could be so much worse!
6 weeks off then back to 30 hours :( x

I'm with the nhs and I'm not getting 6mnths full pay it's 8wks full pay then 18 half pay plus smp and then 13 wks
Would b great if it was 6months full pay lol xx

Maybe it's
Different depending on where you work in nhs (an maybe which country) my pal is a nurse in Scotland and I'm
100% she got full pay for 6 months and then 75% she got an additional 3 months. They also spread out her wars over the 12 months that she took off

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

I'm a nurse up in Scotland and just sorted it all out a couple of weeks ago. I doubt as a nationwide company they'de b able to have different packages for different areas but I could be wrong.
It's also maybe changed from when your friend got hers xxx

Yeah it was a few years ago!

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

When I told work, I asked to see their maternity policy, which is referred to in my contract. A sheepish looking manager told me they hadn't had a pregnant nurse for so long they hadn't written it. I work outside of the NHS, for a private employer, but we tend to get NHS terms and conditions or similar so I'm not too worried. They have suggested I will probably get NHS rates.

They've suggested twice I might like to write the policy!! So, I've done the research and just sent them over the NHS stuff.

They are generally a brilliant employer, so apart from it not being written, it doesn't surprise me that they are likely to be generous. Unfortunately I only work for them 2 days a week though (I'm a contractor 2 more and will get nothing for this), so it won't be a fortune. They are also talking about allowing me a very flexible package when I go back after a year.

Sorry to hear other employers are not so good :(

Last edited:
Wow, I thought my maternity package was bad, but actually it seems ok!

I get 6 weeks full pay and then 6 months half pay, so I should be ok for first 6 months. After that I will only be on SMP, which is a bit rubbish, but it's only for 3 months.

After 9 months I won't get paid, but I can have a year off from the date the baby is born if I want. xx

I'm agency, so do not get offered a fancy package but i am still also entitled to SMP.... Standard gvernment requirement is that smp is paid as...

SMP eligibility and rates - overview

An employee who is expecting a baby has the right to 26 weeks of 'Ordinary Maternity Leave' and 26 weeks 'Additional Maternity Leave' - making one year in total. As long as they give you proper notice they can take this no matter how long they've worked for you, how many hours they work or how much they're paid.
But you only have to pay them SMP if they meet certain conditions. They must have:
  • worked for you continuously - full or part-time - for at least 26 weeks up to and into the 15th week before the week the baby's due
  • average earnings at least equal to the Lower Earnings Limit for NICs - £107 a week for 2012-13 or £102 a week for 2011-12
  • given you the right paperwork confirming the pregnancy and sufficient notice of when they would like the SMP payments to start
SMP rates

For the first six weeks you must pay your employee SMP at the rate of 90 per cent of their average weekly earnings.
For the next 33 weeks you must pay them the lower of the following:
  • £135.45 - from 1 April 2012
  • 90 per cent of their average weekly earnings
got this on hmrc website: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/employees/statutory-pay/smp-overview.htm#1

some companies do offer more than this but it is totally up to each company if they wish to offer more than this. x x

Sounds like I'm lucky!
I work for the NHS and get 3 months full pay, 3 months half pay plus smp, then 3 months of just smp then nothing for the last 3.
I'm hoping this time to have it all averaged out over the 12 months, as with my last baby ended up having to go going back early.

I work for the government and got 6 months full pay then had 6 weeks of annual leave & bank holidays back. Very good package in my view and so glad I work where I do, I also have the option of taking an unpaid career break upto 5 years and would still have a job at the end of it. Now if I could just win enough on the lottery to take those 5 years it'd be bliss :)

There was the option to take an additional 13 weeks of smp & 13 weeks unpaid as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back