What does it actually FEEL like?

laetitia85

Reaction score
This might sound like a stupid question but I wonder what labour actually feels like. Someone once told me it was like having period pains, but 10 times worse. Someone else said it was like being punched on your stomach, really hard. Or is it just like an upset tummy?

I'd say it's closest at first to bad period pains the pushing stage is weird though - although it still feels like period pains it's combined with a feeling of wanting to push that you can't control - but the pushing sensation doesn't hurt.
Definatly not like an upset tummy though

yer i would agree with Libs
its like period pains .. just alot stronger, painful and more frequent lol
wouldnt say its like any upset tummy though
and the pushing feeling is something you cant control, once u gta push u jst gota oush no stopping it lol
good luck hun
x sophie x

Like pushing a football through a hole the size of a pea. :D

libs said:
I'd say it's closest at first to bad period pains the pushing stage is weird though - although it still feels like period pains it's combined with a feeling of wanting to push that you can't control - but the pushing sensation doesn't hurt.

If the pushing feeling doesn't hurt, why is it that women scream louder when they are pushing? When i watch birth videos i notice that the most painful part seems to be the pushing.

I found that the contractions were the most painful experience EVER! By the time I got to pushing it didnt hurt half as much, but then i didnt get to finish off the pushing as baby was in wrong postion and was rushed to theatre.

Dont worry about the pain yet tho, ur body takes over and if it gets too bad ull get some pain relief to help (a bit lol)

laetitia85 said:
libs said:

If the pushing feeling doesn't hurt, why is it that women scream louder when they are pushing? When i watch birth videos i notice that the most painful part seems to be the pushing.

I think it depends on the individual and what kind of labour you are having. I was having a back labour and it was uncomfortable to push; you are still contracting when pushing so it does hurt.

Everyones experiences and pain thresholds are different.

I would say practice your breathing, I found this helped me immensely. I used the gas and air to get my breathing right and it made me feel much more in control.

Good luck :D

Because you have contractions at the same time - sorry realised it reads wrong. The two sensations are the sensation of the contraction (which hurts) then the pushing AND contraction. I was trying to think why someone would describe it like an upset tummy and all I could think was that they were on about the pushing - which is kind of like the sensation when you have diarrohea (sorry for the image :D ) and you can't stop yourself if you know what I mean..

Hope noones suffering from nausea atm or that description will set them right off :rotfl:

laetitia85 said:
This might sound like a stupid question but I wonder what labour actually feels like. Someone once told me it was like having period pains, but 10 times worse. Someone else said it was like being punched on your stomach, really hard. Or is it just like an upset tummy?

the worlds worst pain ever i would rather saw my leg off!!!!

sorry :oops: but i found it terrible, i remember telling the midwife to just kill me and put me out my mistery :oops:

contractions are worse then the baby coming out

when baby starts coming out its a very sore burning stinging pain but you just have to push through it.

Dior was born back to back - it was alot more painfull then normal !
it felt like i had i knife in my bum right at the bottom of my back being twisted over and over again

i think women scream when pushing because it stings so much - but when i was having contractions i was in to much pain to even scream i just grinde my teeth soooooooooooooo hard

Its the most horrible pain... much worse than period pains (wel mine was anyways lol... :lol:

I remember tellin my ex, my mum and the midwife that i couldn't do it and all the midwife did was laugh :x

Then i found out afterwards she hadn't even had kids ... so she couldn't really laugh... :roll:

It the worse pain but with the best outcome a lil baby and for that reason i would do it over and over again :D

It's a horrible pain, I was sick after about an hour of contractions because it hurt. It is like the worst period pains ever x10! I couldn't stand up straight during my contractions. Then when baby's actually coming out it feels like burning.

But it can't have been that bad because I already want another one! I would go through it 100 times just to have my boy.

I remember after I had given birth I said I could quite happily do it again straight away but I didn't want to be pregnant again! The last week or so of the pregnancy was worse than labour!

I hope this doesn't make anyone scared, when I was worried before I gave birth, I just thought of the wimpiest mother I knew & thought well if SHE can do it...

actually my Mum's theory was that if you say to a pregnant woman - oh it's ok it's uncomfortable- all these women who scream etc are overacting - then the mum to be expects it to be a little uncomfortable and is shocked when it's actually v painful and finds it hard to cope.
But if a mum to be is told look it's v v painful - but the pain is for a reason - it will end and at the end will be your baby. Someone somewhere has already decided how many pains you will have to get this baby out..and each pain is one less towards that total. Then the mum to be copes better as she expects it to be v painful.

yeah i agree about it being extremely bad period pains, so bad you cant even speak. i also hated any noise when i had a contraction everyone got told to shut up, brian was trying to be encouraging and i was jsut telling him to shut up, he thought i hated him :rotfl: .

I actually loved the pushing stage it felt like i needed a HUGE poo and i loved needing to push as it was productive and your concetration was on pushing at the right times and not too hard so your mind wasnt focused on the pain.

i totally agree about the stinging sensation it is SOOO stingy! but its ok because the pain goes the second the babypops out. and you have a baby :cheer:

edit : to be honest they pain is excrucating but i actually thought it would be much worse, or maybe thats just me, i did have a fairlt quick labour (6hours) i think if i was going for 12+ hours it would be a different story as the pain would be much worse if you were exhausted. :think:

Yeah really bad period pains to start with then I couldn't even describe the pains later on, they are bad! I screamed a lot on the pushing part but it was more with the contraction but once I pushed with the contraction the pain eased off a lot. The stinging part doesn't last too long but is awful, especialy if you tear.

i found the pushing much easier, but it does sting more than a little lol u know when somebody is really constipated and they kind of grunt (well they do on tv lol) well i suppose thats kind of part of why you make the noise to help push - although i could have swung for my midwife who told me if i was making noise while pushing i wasnt pushing :evil: and i bloody well was, i got so cross with her! if i hadnt been having the baby id have started a bloody arguement!

the contractions r painful but they just get progressively worse so its not like ur dropped into the deep end iykwim.

honestly dont worry about it too much, we wouldnt do it all again if it was that bad :rotfl: and the pain does just kind of melt away when the baby is out :)

oh and the stingy pain is called "the ring of fire" if i recall, and i started to sing that song in my head during the birth lol yes i am slightly mad!

its like bad period pains, but many more than ten times worse! more like a thousand, lol. i wont lie, it hurts A LOT, but theyre copeable because u get little breaks in between contractions, and its SO worth it. i'd do it a thousand more times for my little princess.
good luck! :hug:

I actually thought I have food poisoning so I can relate to it being like a bad tummy

LilMissEmmylou said:
iu know when somebody is really constipated and they kind of grunt (well they do on tv lol) well i suppose thats kind of part of why you make the noise to help push

OMG i remember making that noise too, its totally uncontrollable its like a huge grunt :rotfl: . i rememebr a few minute after having Evie a woman a few doors down was SCREAMING her head off, and the midwife just look at me and said " its ok you were'nt as noisey as that!", poor woman :lol: .

midna said:
why did i read this :wall:

Sorry to go completely off topic but is the picture of a baby in your sig meant to have red eyes and stuff.

It looks scary :shock:

It''s that horrible period pain feeling but a million times more intense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back