What does consultant led care entail?

stephaniespora

Reaction score
I have just got an appointment for next Thursday to see a consultant i was just wondering what this is for and what it entails?

I have already seen my midwife and my scan isn't until the 19th of June so i was wondering what will actually happen at this appointment?

Im under consultant led care because i have a bit of a dodgy heart i don't know if that helps? Im just really nervous as i don't know whats going to happen.

I am being consultant led due to me having a cist in my ovary, it just means that when you go for your scans you will also been seen by the consultatnt to see how you are doing. I have seent he consultant at my 20 week scan and I will also see h im again at my 34 week scan as my placenta is low. Hope that helps

I am being consultant led due to me having a cist in my ovary, it just means that when you go for your scans you will also been seen by the consultatnt to see how you are doing. I have seent he consultant at my 20 week scan and I will also see h im again at my 34 week scan as my placenta is low. Hope that helps

Oh i see, but why do i have an appointment next week then? Its completely separate from any of my appointments with midwives and my scan, im just a little confused.

It's not been confirmed yet as I'm not booking until tomorrow, but seeing as I was consultant led last time due to bp problems, I imagine I will be this time too! It really jst means you have more appointments, more frequent checks, and probably more scans. I did find I had to fight for my birth choices a little harder, but as long as you stand your ground, and there's no reason to believe the health of you or your baby is at risk, then you should get the birth you want x

Oh i see, but why do i have an appointment next week then? Its completely separate from any of my appointments with midwives and my scan, im just a little confused.

That will be for the consultant to assess you and your needs. You might fid he says he doesn't need to see you for a few months yet.

It's not been confirmed yet as I'm not booking until tomorrow, but seeing as I was consultant led last time due to bp problems, I imagine I will be this time too! It really jst means you have more appointments, more frequent checks, and probably more scans. I did find I had to fight for my birth choices a little harder, but as long as you stand your ground, and there's no reason to believe the health of you or your baby is at risk, then you should get the birth you want x

That is one thing that concerns me, i REALLY want a water birth and i can't see it happening. My heart doesn't even cause problems, i just get palpitations every now and again but because of this im being consultant led. x

I have heart problems, my other pregnancies excluding my first have all been consultant led and luckily I love my consultant and shed do anything to make my experiences as 'me' led as possible :) I can't see a problem with you having a water birth if that's what you would like. Sometimes pregnancy hormones and the extra strain can make heart issues a little worse but they may just want to check on you with an ECG, echo and 24hr or 7 day tape just to see how your heart is coping under the extra pressure. I'm sure you'll be fine so don't worry, your just having an extra eye kept on YOU to make sure you are informed enough to make the choices that are right for you :) good luck xx

I'm consultant led too due to being midly asthmatic. I have a separate appointment with them 3 weeks after my first scan. My midwife said I will probably only need see them once during the entire pregnancy just to check all is well and that's it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back