WHAT DO WE ALL DO FOR A LIVING????

How do you train to be a childminder??? - it's something I'd like to do as I don't think I'm gonna end up being able to follow my dream career of midwifery and I'd really love to stay at home with the nipper too.

I contacted my local council offices, they put me in touch with the trianers, then it went from there.

not sure how it works tehre, but here you have to go on a breifing session first just to see if you will be able to handle the work load and locations etc.

then you start a 6 week course, normaly runs one evening a week somewehre near you.
i have to do an assignment on a chosen subject that gets coverd on teh course, i chose child protection.

then you go on a health and hiegene and first aid course.

then you go on a mentoring session for one evening (2 hours) then you register and go through police and home checks.

im at teh assignment stage right now, tonight is my last session on teh course, then i will have to wait to hear when the first aid ones etc are.

if all goes well and i pass the assignment, i will be ready to start in april may time, which suits me fine coz it gives me a couple of months off with Coby.

ah sorry, just relised i waffled on for ages didnt i?! lol

phone your local council and ask them, they should know who to put you in touch with
xx

i work for bt, wholesale broadband advisor dealing with other service providers not the anoying customers thank god :lol:

Hi there,

Well everyone sound glam... this is the bit where no one will speak it me again lol.... here goes:

Im an Ex R.A.F satalite Navigator who worked on the fighter aircraft left 2 years ago after 5 years.

Now im an R.M.Ps wife (Royal Militery police) lots of fun lol... soon to be down graded to a long haired brigadier.... (Housewife)

Not very well like in the british military, infact i'll goes a far as to say osma bin laden prob got a bigger fan club than us monkeys n wives!!!!!

Well thats plain boring old me!!!

You all have much better jobs than me (Prob better pay 2 lol!!!)

Imogen
xxx

I thought I'd join in, I'm a boring receptionist.

Hopefully changing my job soon tho as we're moving house in the next few weeks about 20 miles away. Dont earn enough to stay here I'm afraid.

I really want to do something worth wild but at the same time baby is more important so will just be doing anything that pays ok.

Well your not gonna believe what I am qualified in because of the problems I have had with my OH. I am a qualified Vet Nurse and I am a qualified Beauty therapist. I am at home at the moment and would prefer to go back to the North to my old job working with Mr Buchanan who is a vet surgeon and has many surgerys in the North of England.

As for the beauty, I would rather work with animals.

I am also recognised in the North for being a regular tv extra. Used to get loads of work. Here is just so dull.

Anna Marie, you are not too old to start a new career, they have these adult access courses you can go on which you complete in the year.

Very impressed with the work you girls do.

All my love Jacqui. x x x x

I'm a train driver, good money but YAWN!!

Don't know what I will do after the baby comes along - maybe part-time!?!

emma

your job made me laugh... how did you get into train driving? is it difficult?

x

Hi Hayley,

I usually get a few laughs or looks of disbelief, especially as I'm so young too!! I was working for the railway anyway, on the clerical side, and as drivers got paid the best, it seemed like a good idea.

Unfortunately, theres more to be said for job satisfaction (of which I get none!!) than money, & I think I ought to look at retraining...............but where to start!?!

The training is around a year, and some of that is difficult, but once you know what you are doing, it is REALLY boring!!

Don't get me wrong, I know I'm lucky to have a well paid job, I just wish I could use my brain a bit more.

I'm a little late in adding to this thread, but I really enjoyed reading everyone's "job description" so I thought I'd throw in my own "work". I

I lived from 2001 to 2005 in the US where I was doing a PhD. I'm now living in Ireland (where my husband's from) finishing off the PhD and working a few hours at a university in Northern Ireland. It was a relief to get a job (even if it is very small!) within the field that I was studying for so long.

I have been told that I am being considered for a temporary but full-time position for the fall semester. This would be a great career move. At the same time I'm hoping that in about two weeks I'll get a BFP which would mean an October baby, and, well, I couldn't take the job! We've been trying for 2.5 years so I would happily decline the job if there was a baby on the way!

All the best with careers, staying at home, and many babies to come in 2006!!

I work in a mail room in my local council. I open the mail and post out mail. Exciting!!!!!!! I used to work for Reg Vardy and I loved that job but when I had my baby I had to leave as I couldnt commit to the job the way I used to and the commute was too far.

The mail room job isnt too bad, its part time, close to home and isnt to taxing on my brain.

Well - i am also a Qualified veterinary Nurse - but am now residing as a full time mum. I started out as wanting as alot of people do to be a veterinary surgeon - but wasn't braining enough.. but i enjoy my Vn status more as i don't get the stress like the Vets do. I miss work and the banter from my other collegues... but with Vn wages not being up to much i couldn't afford child care so after 10 yrs of nursing i am having a break to concentrate on my family.
I also have a city in and guilds qualfication in nursing exotic spieces - i.e. tortoises, lizards, iguanas etc..good fun

wow hypnorm that sounds really exciting - exotic species... what made you get into that?

I commute quite a lot for my job.. i'm hoping i can still manage it when i'm heavily pregnant and when the baby comes.

x

one of our vets deal with alot of exotic animals, and most of the other nurses hated dealing with snakes and weren't confident handling them - but i enjoyed it and saw the course and i did it. its fun - especially when we had an ahdabran torsoise in for xrays!! in excess of 100kg!

Hiya, I am a make-up artist and at the moment work for Kiko as a sales assistant in House of Frazer. Kiko is an italian firm new to the uk which is a bit like mac makeup. I worked for Dior for two years before but the money was crap! Like most jobs, it sounds glamourous but it is very boring and I hate standing up all day. Looking forward to getting pregnant and concentrating on being a mum!

Wow ive really enjoyed this post, it is so nice to hear what others do. Great idea, im maybe a little late, but wanted to join in too!!
I trained as a general nurse, but i went to work with in mental health. Im now working in a secure unit, with people with a learning disability who also have a mental illness who have been sectioned under the mental health act, and display moderate to highly challenging behaviour. I loved the job, but when i got PG i went to work in HR because of the danger of patient contact. Im now looking at going back in a few weeks a couple of days a week, whilst Simon has Charlotte.
Im a little nervous as ive been out of patient contact for quite a while, im wondering if ill still have the skills to de-escalate a patient who is verbally agressive, or would i still be prepared to take the physical aggression with my gorgeous daughter at home?? Maybe its time to move on?????
Great post, ive really enjoyed it.....sorry i have barged in!

At the moment I am a full time student at langside college, Glasgow studying multimedia computing and web development.

I finish this in june and i will be having a year off where i will *hopefully* be PG and be a SAHM for a whle before going back to college again.

Hi everyone

Im a sales assistant on the childrens department at Next!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back