What do I do?

ERIN84

Reaction score
Hiya girls!

Im weaning Emily now and she is doing well except I can't get her to eat anything savoury!! She won't even entertain anything I cook for her and I have tried her on jars etc...

If I give her anything savoury she will taste it and turn her face away. I really persevered this afternoon to give her a jar of sweet potato and beef and it ended up with her getting so upset!!!! So I then gave her a bit of banana custard and she loved it!! I didn't want to give in and just her milk as she is 6 months and the HV says she needs to be relying on her solids more.

Any advice???
Xx

Oh Ross has a bit of a sweet tooth too!! Although he does take savoury he won't have as much if he can get away with it. I stuck to the sweeter side of savoury for a while, and actually he loves the cheesy spinach and stuff like that. She's still early on in weaning so maybe just keep trying with smaller amounts, maybe a few spoons of savoury followed by something sweet?

Thanks Gemma. Yep, might try her with something savoury tomorrow and follow it with something sweet! Does Ross take savoury things well now? X

He takes them better than he used to. He'll screw his face up at the first few mouthfuls but once he realises that's all he's getting he takes it. He does tend to be slower and more distracted with savoury though, with sweet he's got his mouth wide open ready for the next spoonful like a wee sparrow! Wee monkey's aren't they. But their tastebuds are still getting used to all these new flavours. I wondered too if some of the jars have too many flavours mixed in making them a bit too strong!

Have you tried carrot? Apparently thats nice and sweet for them. Hopefully she'll get used to it soon and start munching on everything. I just let Paige have anything she wants now. Usually anything I eat or anyone within a 2 meter range is eating, she just wants. So today she had porridge for breakfast, then tried some tomato (my mum bit it in half and Paige had a good old suck on it lol) then she had some toast, and also nibbled on some tiger bread, had a rusk around 3 and then brocolli soup for dinner. Does Emily reach for any of your food as you eat (I like to eat with Paige very very close to my food so she can grab if she wants), as you could let her pick what she wants. Bit of baby led weaning as well as traditional?

Yep if I'm eating she reaches for everything! Ive tried carrot, can't get her to have it!! Do you just purée things that you have then? X

My little girl is now 8 months and she's been great at weaning generally but I found she didn't take as quickly to savoury. I added fruit to savoury dishes and it worked brilliantly combined with sweeter veg. For example she loved butternut squash, parsnip and pear or chicken apple and sweet potato. Parsnip/squash/sweet potato and carrot are all great sweet veg although I found carrot on it's own a funny texture if not blended really well. I cook most of my recipes from Annabel Karmels book - it's great for ideas, you can cook in batches and freeze it and it's much cheaper than buying jars ( don't get me wrong I still use jars sometimes but you can experiment much more when you make your own). As she got used to savoury I reduced the amount of apple or pear in her dishes. Hope that helps

I saw them suggest parsnip and apple blended together and carrot and pear in a weaning book!! Maybe that is your solution and gradually lower the amount of fruit in it!

Ahh I was the same, Odhrán would maybe take 2 spoonfuls (he was 5months) and then literally gag if he took anymore, he would take the fruity things and yoghurts, but I couldn't get any dinners into him and I was so worried.. He finally ended up loving them, and now at almost one, he is just going on to the stage 3 (10months+) dinners, he got used to the stage one smooth, and when I introduced the lumps it was like starting all over again, but we got there :flower: I read that it can take up to 15 times trying something for a baby to decide wether they like something or not.. I'm sure she will come round soon xxx

No I dont puree it. She has soup which is obviously just liquid, and porridge but if she has some of my food, I just make sure she cant choke, although who knew shes worked out how to bite and chew the toast?! I swear babys usually suck toast first then build up to chewing. I make she has 3 meals which she can gobble down no problems but the rest she just nibbles on the food however I eat it. One thing Ive noticed, she doesnt like white bread lol. Brown shes ok with though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back