What are your views on pain relief?

KJL

Reaction score
I was just interested in people's views on pain relief and why you take a certain view?

I have decided on a hospital birth and I want to have an epidural. I have a high pain threshold and am no wimp but have just decided that this is my first and I would like a stress free and pain free delivery. I admire people who do it without too but I also don't understand this mentality that you are "wimping out" or "too posh to push" if you chose an epidural or an elective cesarean (not my choice but I know people who have)? Some people seem to think it's their place to make u feel like you're less of a woman if you don't opt for "natural" which I think is wrong. I think it's a personal choice and admire any woman who goes through childbirth, however they decide to do it.

I am just interested in how you feel about this and why?

i was up for anything i went in with an open mind!!!!!!!!!!! but i managed on gas n air nothing else crossed my mind tbh!!! if i needed more though i wouldnt of hesitated!!!i was out of it on gas and air!!!

My view is stay open minded and take full advantage of whats on offer, this is my second and I KNOW I want an epidural.

definately go in with an open mind, this is baby number two for me as I don't want an epidural this time :lol:

I only had gas and air for 8 mins due to the midwives not believing I was in labour :roll: The thought of an epidural scared the life out of me but when I was in full blown labour I could have happily went ahead and had one :lol: (I didnt though, by the time the midwives realised I wasnt being a drama queen I was 9cm dilated and Maddison arrived 10 mins later)

hi hun, i'm researching a lot of pain relief just now as this is my first.

being honest i would rather do it without anything because i don't want to lose control if you know what i mean? i don't want to feel dizzy or sick from drugs and don't want to be numbed from anaethetic/epi's.

saying that, i don't have a very high pain threshold, so will go in with an open mind, but try to avoid drugs if i can :)

I wanna try and manage on gas and air but everyone gets on differently with it so will have to see how it goes.

It's interesting hearing people's views and i'm amazed how many people keep open minded. I've had a lot of negative responses from people when I have mentioned wanting an epidural. I have been offered a mobile epi though which means i will still be able to move around. I really admire all you who do it with none but I guess I should stay open minded too and see how I feel when it actually happens :think:

This is my first and I am approaching it with an open mind...

Just going to go from one contraction to the next and see how i manage..

I wanted a home birth with my son so obviously my choice was more limited. The only thing I was fairly sure of was that I didn't want pethidine because it crosses the placenta. In the end I managed with no pain relief an I didn't really get on with the gas & air.

It's good to have an idea of what you want but definitely try to keep an open mind. I think a positive attitude helps enormously too.

Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Again, open minded. If I do feel like I want an epi then I will have one, it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's my first and I have no idea what to expect or how I'm going to cope.
I've been told I can have a c-section if I'm not ready for an induction near my due date and it's something I am considering, but only cause I don't know how I will be feeling if I get to that stage. It does kinda feel like the cheats way out, but I wouldn't have one because I don't want a natural delivery..just because I'm so fed up and just want her out.

poppy160 said:
Again, open minded. If I do feel like I want an epi then I will have one, it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's my first and I have no idea what to expect or how I'm going to cope.
I've been told I can have a c-section if I'm not ready for an induction near my due date and it's something I am considering, but only cause I don't know how I will be feeling if I get to that stage. It does kinda feel like the cheats way out, but I wouldn't have one because I don't want a natural delivery..just because I'm so fed up and just want her out.

Hiya, i completely understand what you are saying, I have my Dr's appointment today to discuss my fate and i'm so anxious that I've literally been physically sick, I just want out now too. How did your appointment go? It seems that they suggested an induction/c-section from what you say?

I don't think you can know for sure what you'd want pain relief wise until you're actually in labour, every birth is different, so are peoples perceptions of pain. I don't see the point in being a martyr and suffering uneccessarily if there are drugs there to help.

This time I'm planning on using a tens machine in early labour, then going to the midwife unit and getting in the pool where I can have gas and air. I'd like to give birth in the pool but if it gets too much I'll get out and have a shot of morphine.

I had pethidine with James and although it really helped with the pain I'd like to try and avoid drugs this time cos it made James really sleepy for the first few days and uninterested in breast feeding, and there are several hours where I can't remember what happened.
If the pain is really bad though, I'll have it.

I was really adament I wanted an epidural with James but my labour progressed too quickly so there wasn't time.
This time around having read a bit more about the epi I've decided I don't fancy it. I don't like the idea of being stuck in bed afterwards and having to have a catheter. I've heard it can leave you with a bit of a backache afterwards too.

Hiya!

It annoys me how people think that just because they are doing a certain way then everyone else should also conform! If having an epidural takes the stress and worry out of delivery then surely that's some good done, isn't it?

Personally I really don't want an epidural and have people say..'ohh you say that now but you will'...I really don't - that also annoys me! My perspective is I can't stand the idea of someone messing around with my spinal cord/column and if something did go wrong, god knows what could happen, however that said millions of women have them everyday without any problems so don't let me put you off.

It's gonna be gas air and pethedine for me!

XXXXXXXX

PS my birth story will probably have an epidural in it now I have said that!

KJL said:
poppy160 said:

Hiya, i completely understand what you are saying, I have my Dr's appointment today to discuss my fate and i'm so anxious that I've literally been physically sick, I just want out now too. How did your appointment go? It seems that they suggested an induction/c-section from what you say?

Hiya, I'm just about to go out but I'll PM you when I get back and fill you in :) Good luck for the doctors today, hun :hug:

I didn't want an epidural because I didn't like the idea of a needle in my spine. I was IV induced so my birth was never going to be what you would call 'natural'. I lasted 14 hours before I gave in and had an epidural. It felt like I had failed in some way :roll: but the pain was so unbearable, at one point I remember asking to be put out of my misery! As soon as I had my epidural, I thought what an idiot I should have had it sooner :rotfl:
The only thing I wouldn't do again is have pethidene. It made me feel so out of it.

I think labour is so different for every woman (and each child they have) that no one has any right to say what is right or wrong. People have to do what is best for them.
I am preparing for a hypnnobirthing which is a natural birth. However, I am very realistic and if I am in pain I will not be a martyr, I will definately have pain relief.
If I get induced, I think I may opt for an epidural because of the speed and ferocity of delivery...but again, I think I need to see how I manage.

Does anyone actually know if it's possible to fall asleep when you have pethidine? I remember being sick on the floor beside the bed just after having it and not caring cos I was too off my head to worry about reaching for the sick bowl. Then my next memory is snapping awake at 9cm dilated (about 4 hours later) calling out in pain on all fours thinking how I must look and sound like an animal, and the midwife saying she could see the babys head! :lol: I have no idea if I was asleep during all that time cos I was on my own :think:

muppetmummy I fell asleep on it. I was in and out of sleep, just waking up in agony each time I had a contraction. It was awful, I wish I had never had it.................it made me feel like I was very drunk.

I think it's a completely individual choice. I didn't want an epidural and managed on only gas and air but believe me I was askig for an epidural towards the end :lol:

The reasons I didn't want pain relief is because:

Pethidine: Heard this could make you sick and i'm a wuss when it comes to sick, i cry like a baby :oops: Also cos I know it crosses over to baby and I just didn't want that.

Epidural: I was so scared of the thought of a needle in my back and the risks, TBH towards the end had there of been time i def would have had an epidural and I didn't care at that point about the needle.

I also wanted to just experience labour, see what everyone was talking about. I'm glad I did, I loved having a 'natural' labour but I certainly wouldn't judge anyone else for their own choices and anyone who does IMO is a dick :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back